1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polyester subwoofer filling sources?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by cosaw, Dec 10, 2004.

1. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello all,

Just getting ready to stuff my diy sealed subs to affect a virtual increase in box size. Question is what with? I was thinking (to keep the price down) of purchasing a 100% polyester quilt and using the stuffing in that? Has anyone tried this?

I have read some experts on the internet that advise against the "pillow stuffing" variety of pollyester (found in quilts/duvets and pillows) in favour of proper audiograde pollyester. But what can the difference be apart from price?

Alternatively I could use fiberglass loft insulation from B&Q but don't really want to work with such an irritant while experimenting with different stuffing quantities. Has anyone had experience with this?

Does anyone know where to get the product often reffered to as "Pollyfil" (not the putty type pollyfil!) but the pollyester stuffing?

Any advice appreciated.

Simon

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    don't go near fibreglass, horrible stuff :lesson:

try Maplins or CPC for proper wadding it doesn't cost much and is much safer

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheers, didn't know Maplins did wadding I must have overlooked that. I'll check out their website for price.

Thanks,

Simon