Polycarbonate conservatory roof leaking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by blue max, Feb 5, 2014.

1. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    It's my mothers and she is in the NW.

I looked at it and apart from a bit of muck around it there was no obvious point of entry.

The outer surface was holed in a number of places though and I believe it may have been hailstones that did it.

So, it needs to be addressed.

It's a 1960's poorly built bungalow and the 'conservatory' is little more than a lean-to. There is very little pitch on the roof which just slopes down from the house.

Anyone tackled one DIY or had experience of suppliers?
    I'm considering recommending she has a glass one this time.

Cheers.

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,563
    Bear in mind that if it's "little more than" a lean-to it might not have the structural strength to support a glass roof without reinforcement.

3. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Yes, that would be quite right IG. I guess I may have painted a poor picture of it. It's got a dwarf wall and the rest is uPVC/double glazed units. But it only has two sides. The roof is flat and sloping down from the house. I was really trying to get the shape, rather than anything else. Conservatory conjures up a three sided structure to me.

I'm at a loss of what to do. And being two hundred miles away doesn't help!

4. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,737
    Could the holes be where the screw holes are? Reason for saying is I have a polycarbonate roof on a lean-to and a few of the covers have come off the screw holes and there's a leak coming from one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Good thought Lee, but the holes are random and irregular. And in the central, unsupported areas.

I'm pretty resigned to the fact that it will only be properly dealt with by replacement of the whole thing. But it is awful. It shows the dirt, moss sits on it and it sags and is noisy in the rain!

She has had people 'fix' it - and the roof was replace, but an older person on their own just get ripped off. I was hoping for a recommendation from someone who may have been in a similar situation and found a solution that they are happy with.

6. sr2

sr2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi

We recently bought a place with a glass conservatory which had leaks. Failed window gaskets and some holes. I did the following to make it a LOT better for usage and water proof:

1) Bought some eaves fillers to block up holes on the sides
    2) Bought some white fascia to use to hold the fillers in place...stuck on with sealant
    3) Used Flash Band to fix the leaks in the roof. As it was white I didn't want to use the standard grey flash band. Found a company called Butyl who make a white flash band

Since doing this I have not had any leaks and it looks good too. Maybe this can help you too?

SR2

7. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Many thanks for your reply. The problem we would have is we can't identify where the leak is coming from and doubt the roof would take our weight to apply anything like that. The polycarbonate sheets are holed and sagging, so the whole lot needs to come off and be replaced. I just don't know where to buy the materials to complete the job. The flash band does look like it would be a good remedy if you already had a glass roof that was failing though. Interesting about some reacting with silicone - something to be aware of for sure.

8. sr2

sr2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have used C & A Plastics in the past. Excellent service. They are based in London but I believe they deliver. Give them a try.

Home - C & A Building Plastics

In terms of getting on the roof I had a Polycarbonate conservatory in my previous place. I used to place a ladder over the metal beams to distribute the weight and it was fine. But to be honest probably best not to get onto it if it is that bad. I would suggest measuring up the size of the Poly carbonate pieces and ordering replacements. They are fairly easy to slot in from the bottom, usually sliding in or out.

Cheers