• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

POLL: Will you buy Valves Index?

Will you buy Valves Index?

• Total voters

Atmos

Prominent Member
Early days, we know the name and we’ve seen a couple of photo one of the prototype and another from the bottom but that’s it. But is it enough to make you believe this is the next generation headset for you?

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
Enough to make me pause on Rift S, don't mind paying extra if it's a better product.

thesnowdog

Prominent Member
All depends on the price and whether it's going to need me to upgrade my GPU (1080) to be able to run one.

I'm not willing to spend more than 600 quid on a new headset and am also unwilling to fork out another 600+ quid to upgrade to a new GPU.

If they do a bundle including base stations and Knuckles controllers for 600 quid I'll be getting one but it's more likely imo to be around a grand and need a 1080Ti on top of that.

I'll be looking to get a new headset in November this year, but if things are going to go the way I think they are (the Vive Cosmos being more expensive than the Rift S despite having worse tracking and the Valve Index being too expensive both to buy and to run) I'm expecting to get a Rift S.

Presuming Ed

Prominent Member
So what you're asking is am I going to buy a product that I know nothing about in terms of specs, compatibility, availability or price?

Er ... I don't know.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
It's definitely a contender however I wonder if this announcement is purely to try to scupper oculus' announcement. I hope not but it could be that come May we just get another announcement . Think back to how.long ago it was knuckles 1st saw the light of day, again imo as a ruse to dump on oculus touch and they have been teased and teased for over 2.5 years now.
IF it comes out this spring there is a good chance I will bite
My 1080ti has a healthy overclock and am confident it will be fine for what ever the hmd demands

Atmos

Prominent Member
I think the May date is a release date. Valve don't give dates very often, so I think they mean it.

Knuckles never got a release date. Now we know why, they were waiting to finalise the HMD and game.

thesnowdog

Prominent Member
I think the May date is a release date. Valve don't give dates very often, so I think they mean it.

Knuckles never got a release date. Now we know why, they were waiting to finalise the HMD and game.

Given which company we're talking about here I won't believe it until I see it. It's quite sad that I and many other people are thinking this way tbh. :(

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member

I hope you are correct

ArmitageShanks

Prominent Member
This still falls very much under "wait and see" for me...

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I'm not even considering the Index as I've almost no idea at all what it is. Once it's been released and there's a range of user feedback I'll see if it's something worth buying. As it stands it would have to be something really special as I'm mostly happy with my Vive setup and I've not only spent a fair chunk on it (original headset + Deluxe Audio Headset + wireless upgrade + new graphics card) but a new headset with controllers would likely be a good bit of money and it's also likely I'd need a substantial upgrade on my PC which is an ageing i7 3930K and GTX1070.

RockSteddie

Established Member
My love for VR has diminished considerably of late, ever since I redecorated my office and built a new desk set-up late last year I just could not be bothered to set-up my Rift again. All the mass of cables and mess has just put me off. Although the Index is very interesting and is likely to offer the superior VR experience I don't think it is going to be for me. I'm seriously considering selling my Rift and going for the new Quest or possibly the new Rift-S just for the inside out tracking and fuss free set-up and use. Also my ageing PC (4790k + GTX1070) would probably need a serious upgrade to run the Index at decent levels and I'm not in the position to do this now or in the next few months. I don't know I think I'm just getting too grumpy in my old age!

Atmos

Prominent Member
Don’t quote me on this but it looks line Index will ship with the HMD and Controllers only which means inside out tracking. Base Stations look optional for those that want 360 precision.

thesnowdog

Prominent Member
Don’t quote me on this but it looks line Index will ship with the HMD and Controllers only which means inside out tracking. Base Stations look optional for those that want 360 precision.

With only two cameras? Doesn't sound too good to me even if they add optional base stations. Depends on how much it costs I guess.

Atmos

Prominent Member

Actually I think Valve will sell the HMD, Controllers and Base Stations all separate.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom