POLL: Will you buy Rift S?

Will you buy Rift S?

• Total voters

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
voted maybe...... initial thoughts are no chance........ but i have not tried it yet. It is unlikely i would replace my CV1 with it, but if my CV1 breaks (its had a lot of use over the last 3 years) then right at this second there is no other complete package i would rather have.

Is it today Valve are making an announcement ? if they announce a 130+ FOV with 2k per eye or above resolution HMD with knuckles the right side of £650 then I have a decision to make!

D

Deleted member 105093

I voted maybe. I wouldn’t expect more than 30% of current Rift owners to vote yes tbh. This is targeted at new VR users.
However I expect the RiftS to outsell the original Rift in under a year.

D

Deleted member 105093

I think the poll should show if you are a current VR user or looking at your first purchase

thesnowdog

is this just an attempt to gather more stats to use in the 'Oculus are finished' Oculus are abandoning PCVR' bandwagon?

Yup, I suspect so, it would be funny if it wouldn't be so sad lol :D

The thing is that the specs don't always tell the whole story. Ben from RoadtoVR said on Reddit that it's close with regards to clarity to the Vive Pro and Reverb. I only voted Maybe because I still have concerns about tracking, but Oculus (Nate Mitchell) stated that they would add Constellation tracking to improve the tracking if there was enough demand for it.

Feedback of the tracking so far has been overwhelmingly positive so I might get one anyway tbh, I've just got to decide whether I should pay £500 off my credit card in May or buy a Rift S. I recently spent £424 on a bloomin great big whopperdongler telly a few weeks ago so I should, in theory lol, calm down on the spending. :p

Presuming Ed

Yeah. What some seem to get past is the Rift S simply isn't a new headset. It's not a major release. It's CV1.1 not CV2.

If there had been a poll a week ago saying 'are you going to buy a Rift' I'd expect the results to be the same.

The majority of those who already own a Rift are unlikely to buy another one. Those new to VR, faced with the choice of buying a new ready to play £300 headset, or spending £2k on upgrading their PC to use a Pimax, may vote yes.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
1 problem is with this poll... as noted existing vr users, regardless of the flavour i think are less likely to upgrade to the RiftS.
And non VR owners are unlikely to see the poll.. so what ever the result of this poll, I doubt it will have any reflection to whether the RiftS will be a success or not.

(currently we have a 6:1 who are NOT ruling the RiftS out however which is frankly better than I expected!!! - I think the stats on the oculus forums are far worse )

I will say however, rift CV1 is gone, out of the picture...... Surely the vive <standard> must go the same way now? isnt it about time for the vive pro to be the entry level HTC device. kick that out at £600 with a set of knuckles & BS2.0 and i think folk will have a decision to make, but i dont see many people buying a standard vive with wands for £500 when they could get a rift S with touch, even with its foibles at - hopefully - £400

Last edited:

Atmos

After 3 years Rifters were gagging for a new headset. The poll is good.

If the Rift S was what people expected it would be filled with yeses and no one would be questioning it.

Presuming Ed

If the Rift S was what people expected it would be filled with yeses and no one would be questioning it.

But the Rift S is just a CV1.1.

If it was meant to be a 2.0, it wouldn't be the same price as the old one at launch.

Was the Vive Pro the same price as the Vive when it launched?

thesnowdog

The fact remains that only ONE person so far has voted no, and I suspect that was your good self anyway, someone that wouldn't buy an Oculus product even if their life depended on it because either Oculus or Facebook killed your family and raped your dog lol :D :p

Atmos

I love my Pimax. Why would I vote for 95FOV of the Rift S when I can race around Monaco with that 150FOV in Project Cars 2? Am I thinking damn I wish I had that Lenovo Rift S? He’ll no.

Are those who play Elite Dangerous going to be happy with that 95FOV and lose out on those OLED Rift blacks or should they be thinking of buying the Pimax XR with 150FOV and OLED blacks?

Once Pimax starts getting those BS2.0 in 3 weeks and those Knuckles come along people should then ask themselves which HMD ticks their boxes.

thesnowdog

I love my Pimax. Why would I vote for 95FOV of the Rift S when I can race around Monaco with that 150FOV in Project Cars 2? Am I thinking damn I wish I had that Lenovo Rift S? He’ll no.

Are those who play Elite Dangerous going to be happy with that 95FOV and lose out on those OLED Rift blacks or should they be thinking of buying the Pimax XR with 150FOV and OLED blacks?

Once Pimax starts getting those BS2.0 in 3 weeks and those Knuckles come along people should then ask themselves which HMD ticks their boxes.

That's assuming that the base stations don't have as many quality control issues as the Pimax headsets and that the Knuckles controllers EVER get released lol.

KingD

I might consider one after a price cut, just to upgrade from my old rift, main benefit to me being better lens and no sensors with cables all around the room. IMO what they should have done is made the Quest so I can just connect it to the PC when I want to play "full fat" then it would be best of both worlds, then I would certainly upgrade.

s73

That's interesting. You already own a headset right? You do a lot of racing?
Yup, that’s all I do, I wish they would do a controller free version. I actually had the sound go on my original Rift so I bought a second as a backup until mine was fixed so I actually have 2 plus the Vive that is in the front room which only gets used for guests now. I’m tempted by the wireless Vive adapter to breathe new life into that systems use

ArmitageShanks

The Rift S is a technical disappointment for sure. Effectively just another WMR headset imo, nothing special. I guess if you have a lot invested in the Oculus store it's worth considering, but then why would you bother if you already have a working Rift? Other than a minor resolution bump, the specs feel worse. Less cables and USB shenanigans to deal with, so that's a plus I guess.

To me this really feels like Facebook moving the Rift platform sideways onto a much cheaper SKU for the PC.

thesnowdog

It all depends on whether they add sensors into the mix too tbh. As it is out of the box the tracking, according to reports at least, is miles better than the WVR headsets and according to Ben from Road To VR the clarity is just a notch below the Vive Pro.

I'm not sure if I'll be getting one or not, if I'm accepted into the Oculus Start programme I'll probably be getting a free one so I can try it out. If I like it I'll keep it and give a mate my Rift, if I don't then I'll give him my Rift S.

I certainly won't be getting a Reverb because the tracking won't be good enough.

Presuming Ed

The Rift S is a technical disappointment for sure. Effectively just another WMR headset imo, nothing special. I guess if you have a lot invested in the Oculus store it's worth considering, but then why would you bother if you already have a working Rift? Other than a minor resolution bump, the specs feel worse. Less cables and USB shenanigans to deal with, so that's a plus I guess.

To me this really feels like Facebook moving the Rift platform sideways onto a much cheaper SKU for the PC.

i totally agree with this. The bottom line is they probably never made any profit on the Rift, and the Rift S might give them some wiggle room and capacity for more discounts now.

I just don't know whether it's wise to use the Rift S as a basis for speculation for other devices that may or may not appear further down the road, and perhaps appeal more to the 'enthusiast' audience.

And be priced accordingly.

Atmos

All said and done I think the Samsung Odyssey has more going for it. OLED, Wider FOV, 90hz, built in headphones, deep blacks and the ability to use Knuckles in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution