• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Poll: What crossover frequency do you use?

nicfaz

Established Member
I am fiddling with the crossover frequency on my setup and wondered what other forum visitors used. Time for a poll!

Please post responses as follows:

Main Speakers:
Subwoofer:
Amp:
Crossover:
Reason:

I'll start -

Main Speakers: Monitor Audio Monitor 14 Gold Mk2
Subwoofer: BK Monolith
Amp: Arcam AVR280
Crossover: 80Hz
Reason: Thought I'd start at THX and fiddle from there!

Over to you...

HI there,

I will be the second:

Onkyo 876
MA RS6 Front - 80 hz
MA RS centre - 80 hz
MA RS5 Rear - 80 hz
SVS PC-12 plus - 80 hz on amp

Levels

Front -2
Centre 0
rears -2
sub 0

Will be re setting all up on saturday with the mic and spl meter since the addition of the sub.

Sounds pretty good though.

cheers

Graham

chic

Distinguished Member
i also went with all speakers set to small and crossovers set to 80hz .

Hi there,

P.s - My speakers are all set to small too.

cheers

Graham

cribeiro

Prominent Member
Main Speakers: Castle Richmond 7i
Subwoofer: SVS PB12plus
Amp: Audiolab 8000AP + Rotel RMB1075
Crossover: 50Hz
Reason: room mode at 50Hz which is flattened by setting the crossover there and adjusting subwoofer phase/delay. It works! :thumbsup:

wolvers

Distinguished Member
Main Speakers: Monitor Audio R270
Subwoofer: B&W ASW608
Amp: Denon AVR-1909
Crossover: 100hz
Reason: CARMA showed better integration with the R270s than 80hz.

Rear Speakers: Monitor Audio R45
Crossover: 150hz
Reason: Frequency response of the R45 is 120hz - 20khz so it was for protection mostly. MA recommend a crossover of 120hz so I might try that out at some point.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Just 2.1 stereo here.

Amp - Rotel RA931mk2
Speakers - Mission 772
Sub - MJ Reference 100

Crossover set to 80hz.

Initially setup with 60hz ( tho quoted low of 772's) but after weeks of tinkering found 80 hz to be about the best. Any higher not so good.
Strange as i first thought it'd be best to set it to "Crossover" properly with speakers would be best? Mayb bescause it adds impact as main speakers dont go low.

tony brazao

Established Member
Main Speakers: Five Monitor Audio R90
Subwoofer: SVS PC13 Ultra & Yamaha YST 305
Amp: Marantz SR5200
Crossover: The R90s are set to 'small' taking everything over 100hz and the amp sends LFE to the SVS sub, which I think is everything under 100hz.
Reason: With regard to the R90s, this is what common sense and also the owners manual suggests for HC use.

The Yamaha sub is fed through a pre-out on the AV amp, so that gets a full range signal and the Yamaha sub's crossover is used and set to about 120hz, becuase it sounds nice!

Last edited:

Alistair

Established Member
Front, centre and rear surround speakers set to Small, 80Hz crossover set on the receiver, did an auto MCACC setup and tweaked from there. :)

stevest4s

Established Member
My settings are:

Main Speakers: Celestion F30
Subwoofer: SVS SB12+
Amp: CA 540R v2
Crossover: 80 Hz on amp, Subwoofer also set to 80Hz
Reason: Works best for me at 80 Hz - backed up by measurements with REW.

Gorillavilla

Standard Member
If you have set your speakers to small and sub crossover at 80 Hz, you may be missing frequency range between 80-120 Hz as small commonly means anything below 120 Hz is not passed to the speakers. Just a thought.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Main Speakers: M&K 851 fronts, M&K CS35 tripole rears
Subwoofer: SVS PC13Ultra
Amp: Onkyo 805
Crossover: 90hz (all speakers)
Reason: Had a fairly large dip around the crossover point at 80hz so upped it to 90hz which resulted in a 9db increase at the null :clap:

pws

Prominent Member
This is me :

Tag AV32R set to 50hz
Kef ref 1's roll off at 50Hz
Monolith set to 45Hz
SMS1 to tweak the monolith and a flat responce from 20hz to 80hz

Sorted

Repton

Established Member
Front, centre and rear surround speakers set to Small, 80Hz crossover set on the receiver, did an auto MCACC setup and tweaked from there. :)

Ditto, but now trying at 100Hz.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
The auto setup of my 606 set them as:

Canton MX100 set.

Speaker size: Small
All speakers: 150Hz
Subwoofer: 80Hz

And sometimes I notice the speakers 'crackle' in big 'boom' scenes. What do I need to do to stop this?

The crossover on the sub itself is also set to 80Hz.

Last edited:

cribeiro

Prominent Member
The auto setup of my 606 set them as:

Canton MX100 set.

Speaker size: Small
All speakers: 150Hz
Subwoofer: 80Hz

And sometimes I notice the speakers 'crackle' in big 'boom' scenes. What do I need to do to stop this?

The crossover on the sub itself is also set to 80Hz.
Listen at lower volumes. since you are probably overloading them. I'd also set the subwoofer crossover to 150Hz, BTW.

smitsa

Established Member
Fronts JBL E100 80Hz
Centre JBL LC2 80Hz
Surrounds JBL L820 80 Hz
B.K Monolith crossover switched out(max) on sub.
LPF of LFE in Onkyo 875 speaker config 120Hz.

Audyssey always detects my speakers as full range but the system sounds much better as above for movies.

For music I control the LFE crossover from an Asus Xonar sound card from my HTPC and have it set much lower 65-70Hz normally.

t72bogie

Prominent Member
Onkyo 905 as a processor with Artoustic PA1800 amps

Gallo Ref 3.1 fronts - 40hz
Gallo Ref 3 AVs/Centre - 60Hz
Velo DD15 - 80Hz and down (for some overlap)

Audessy always trys to set them all full range, but to me, it works better with the sub doing the low end

nicfaz

Established Member
After 15 responses the average is 82.67Hz - almost bang on THX! Any more? :D

Ironically enough after some more twiddling I think 60Hz sounds better on my system...

hazeyb

Standard Member
Front Speakers: Kef Q15.2
Centre Speaker: Kef IQ2C
No Rear Speakers: :(
Subwoofer: Epos M
Amp: Cambridge Audio 640R
Crossover: 80hz
Reason: Sounds best

Last edited:

happynow

Established Member
Suround mode:
MA Studio 60 F = 80hz set small
MA studio centre = 80hz set small
Wharfedale 9.1 R = 80hz set small
Monolith Sub LFE = LPF 120hz

Stereo:
MA Studio 60 set large
No Sub

Last edited:

blue max

Distinguished Member
I am not sure of the value of this as the crossover has to suit the particular speakers and setup of each individual system.

And finding an average of a number of systems and deducing that THX values are correct is bizarre in the extreme!

Simply speaking, you have to set your crossover to roughly 20Hz above the highest low Hz speaker in your system. It is best to set the speakers to small regardless of their capability.

So in my case, front three down to 35Hz and rears down to 40Hz, I would choose 60Hz as the crossover initially. From then on, it's down to room EQ and sub integration.

Graham

hello guys another question if you would.. right heres an example ill be listening to a song with the bass working fine then it`ll just cut off but however the blue light on the front is displaying, then a few minutes later it`ll just all of a sudden pop back on :S im really confused... could it be a fuse realted problem.

the model of my sub is a mordaunt short ms409w

any help would be greatly appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom