Votes: 4 7.7%
  • I've returned more than one

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Norman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I think I want my next TV to be OLED but I’m getting very turned off the idea by the large number of people on this forum saying they are having to return sets due to panel problems like yellow tint or excessive vertical banding.
I know those who’ve had a bad experience are more vocal than those that haven’t, so I hope this poll will give a better idea on what percentage of OLED buyers on this forum received good panels from the off compared to those that didn’t.

EDIT: I know many of you have returned more than one set, so I have added another Poll option for returned more than one.

Last edited:
Revived good panel. No return.

I think I want my next TV to be OLED but I’m getting very turned off the idea by the large number of people on this forum saying they are having to return sets due to panel problems like yellow tint or excessive vertical banding.
I know those who’ve had a bad experience are more vocal than those that haven’t, so I hope this poll will give a better idea on what percentage of OLED buyers on this forum received good panels from the off compared to those that didn’t.
Good idea..ive been put off by this forum, and the issues

Don't be put off because the same people who been returning sets would be doing the same thing if they bought LCD sets, I certainly would. But then I don't think I could live with a LCD even if it had minimal issues

My 65EF9500 was returned 3 times because of banding and staining. My 65E6 was replaced once due to a stuck pixel.

Don't be put off because the same people who been returning sets would be doing the same thing if they bought LCD sets, I certainly would. But then I don't think I could live with a LCD even if it had minimal issues

Agreed.

I returned more than one, but didn't give up. (Ended up returning four and keeping the fifth one!) How should I vote?

I returned my 920V but not the E6 or the Philips, so how do I Vote?

It is a massive pain to return a TV but if your going to keep it for say 5 years+ It's worth it.

Do not be put off from what people have been saying on here, we generally get more vocal when something is not how it's supposed to be.

Oh dear, just one day in and the poll is showing a return rate of nearly 60%:(

Thinking of buying a oled , so not got into this return loop that a lot of contributers have, just a thought, is the returns rate related to enthusiasts being over critical and day to day Joe public who buy an oled TV will never notice any of the problems associated with an oled TV.

Oh dear, just one day in and the poll is showing a return rate of nearly 60%:(
You have to look at the bigger picture. You have 18 votes from forum members. What about the general sales of which will be 100s / 1000s to the public. Fair enough, you won't know how many may have been returned but manufacturers figure in a percentage loss anyway. This will not be 60% because if it was they would not be in business.

I returned two 65” sets and have given up on OLEDs until they sort out the poorer uniformity on the larger panels.

The 55” sets are usually pretty good in comparison but I’m sticking with my 65VT65 for now. It certainly doesn’t have the same wow factor as OLED while it doesn’t have any annoying faults that get in the way of just enjoying watching TV.

I returned two 65” sets and have given up on OLEDs until they sort out the poorer uniformity on the larger panels.

The 55” sets are usually pretty good in comparison but I’m sticking with my 65VT65 for now. It certainly doesn’t have the same wow factor as OLED while it doesn’t have any annoying faults that get in the way of just enjoying watching TV.

I’m coming from a 55” set and a key driving factor to upgrade now is the move to 65”, but it’s this size that seems to be more problematic which is worrying.

Another question/worry, what happens to all the returned sets?

Another question/worry, what happens to all the returned sets?

Recycled out to another customer, based on a somebody will accept it theory, its quite worrying if you are thinking of purchasing one, even if the box is sealed and banded could just be a recycle by the manufacturer

Despite people saying not to worry about it the poll does concern me. I'm due to buy a LG B7 when it hits £2500. But now I'm having second thoughts

I would agree that those who have voted are not representative of the general public as they will demand higher quality and notice flaws more readily. The grim reality is that that those who have voted are representative of those members who are prospective purchasers who too will demand higher quality and notice the same flaws. So I find the return rate quite alarming.

I have read that up until 2015, LG had only kept and used between 5% and 9% of the oled panels that were produced so a small percentage of keepers so to speak! In 2016 when they were producing screens for 2016 to current and they were keeping/using 50% of the screens!

I also know that they supply 4 or 5 other companies such as sony, Panasonic, b&o, loewe etc with their screens so the demand is there but I wonder if they need to tighten up quality control?
or do they hop that most customers with minor faults will not notice and their banking on those types of customers?

I have had 3 oleds in as many years and only 1 was returned as faulty but only recently sold my last g6 for the reason that when comparing to 2017 sets I found this years oleds have brighter, crisper and generally better overall viewing experience. Also the sony and Panasonic I have seen have both been fantastic so keeping my options open, That and the fact prices always drop before the new year as they always will! I mean who is bonkers enough to spend £7k on a LG W7 when they can be purchased for as little as 4000 euros across Europe! I would probably bite at £4k but just don't think they are worth that much more.

Recycled out to another customer, based on a somebody will accept it theory, its quite worrying if you are thinking of purchasing one, even if the box is sealed and banded could just be a recycle by the manufacturer
I thought it was illegal to sell an already sold product unless it’s been clearly stated as used or B grade?

I thought it was illegal to sell an already sold product unless it’s been clearly stated as used or B grade?

Think you are right Norm, but wouldn't put it passed a manufacturer who is faced with loads of returns, expect they have away of totally resetting everything, repacking and sending out again...

I've voted Keeper, but I need to explain why. My E6 panel has been replaced, but for 3D issues, not 2D issues. Now of course anyone looking for an OLED TV today won't have these issues. 2D on both panels have been great. Are there vertical banding issues? My first panel was near perfect during IRE5 testing, but the second panel was not so good out of the box. Before jumping to negative conclusions on that last statement, understand that a couple of panel clears later has helped tremendously, and I have never seen the banding during normal viewing since.

Is the technology perfect? No! But it's good enough to invest if you don't mind having to persevere. It's worth it!

Think you are right Norm, but wouldn't put it passed a manufacturer who is faced with loads of returns, expect they have away of totally resetting everything, repacking and sending out again...

I've experienced enough retailers doing this as well (with everything, not just TVs).

To be fair, AVF members do tend to return TV's more than the average person.

I've never returned one, there's no such thing as a perfect panel but my 65 B6 OLED is the best TV i've owned.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this poll, that, together with quite a bit of in-store testing helped convince me that I should just “Bite The Bullet” and buy an LG 65B7V.
I will be ordering it in the next week or so (got to completely redecorate the lounge first) and when it does arrive, I’ve promised myself not to go looking for faults :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom