1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - problems with Harmony 885 charging cradle

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by msg, Sep 23, 2005.

?
  1. Never had a problem - always charges as soon as put on cradle

50 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. *

Need to wiggle remote around on the cradle to get to charge

133 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. Can hear beeps from the remote as it comes on and off charge

83 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Sent the remote back to the supplier due to the charging problem

24 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Interested to monitor your experience with the 885 charging base (a user on Remote Central suggests that Logitech may be about to despatch an overlay to all registered owners to improve fit in the cradle and provide better contact for charging)

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I voted for option 3, although I've seen made a DIY mod to make it sit better... though its still not perfect.

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    No real problems with mine; although does not always make contact first time; placing it top first (hope that makes sense) seems to help.

4. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What was your fix?

I've heard of sticky tape being wedged in the slots at the bottom of the cradle to make the harmony sit higher.

Dave

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Yep. 3 layers of black insulation tape strips used to carefully 'line' the inside of the recesses. It makes the groves not so deep but still deep enough to grasp the remote in position.

Before the mod, it was useless. Now its not too bad.

6. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What do you reckon the root cause of the charging problem is?

Are the contacts not protruding high enough from the cradle?

Can the contacts be bent so they make better contact, or is this not practicable?

Dave

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    The contacts can't be bent as there is nothing to bend.
    I think that's the problem.....the contacts hardly protrude at all so the angle of contact is critical.

8. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    More people are having problems with charging than those that are not which is of great concern to a prospective buyer (or is it just that people having problems tend to visit these forums....).

I'm about to purchase, but am hanging back because of this issue.

9. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Looks like Logitech should sit up and take notice.

They do have a problem here.

I wonder whether they have made mods to latest shipments?

Has anyone who has purchased within the last month suffered the charging problem?

10. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    Mine has crashed on me twice - no-one else had this? It was in the cradle and when I picked it up there were coloured stripes on the display, and it was totally unresponsive, I had to connect to pc via usb and reboot it (the harmony not the pc), then it was ok, rather annoying though :mad:

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  11. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi lisa
    Something that looked the same happened to me on Saturday; right after I had made some alterations. Was going out so just stuck it on the charger; was OK again on Sunday morning when I next used it.

12. mlockley

mlockley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had problem charging mine initially. Solved it by placing a book on the remote to weight it down while charging. It seems like the remote is not heavy enough at the screen end of the remote to get a good contact.

13. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Just make sure its sitting completely flat... mine beeps (I think) when I put it on and off charge ...but I would've thought thats normal.

Not had a problem with it ... and my battery lasts around 3 days? I din't charge it every night (although the charger is plugged in all the time)

14. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Logitech USA are making replacement charging cradles available to those owners having problems.

Apparently, you need to email your details to Logitech and they will arrange a replacement.

;)

15. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,691
    has anyone done this yet? i jsut got mine yesterday and so far so good, but the cradel is fiddly and if there is a better one out there for free i wouldnt mind one!

16. Croker

Croker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The cradle's awful, IMHO. It just doesn't connect solidly when you put it down on the cradle.

A couple of questions - how long does it take to charge to the full? And does that "slideshow" thing have to run constantly whilst it's on the cradle, charging? Doesn't it ever go dim?

Also - possibly due to my own stupidity - I've not set up my TV properly on the remote. Is there a way to wipe the remote clean and start again?

I like the remote itself very much, and I'm sure once I've got it just how I like, I'll have many happy hours of viewing pleasure whilst using it. In the meantime, it's a bit of a pig to set up, and any advice would be appreciated!

17. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Croker

The cradle is not good; I find tilting it up at the foot helps to locate the contacts at the top end although obviously we should not have to be messing around like this. The slide show means it is charging; I dont know if you can turn it off; cannot say I notice it but mine is behind the sofa (except when watching Dr Who).
    If you just want to get rid of the TV you can delete and add devices in the device box in the left hand box on the main page. see the top section. If you want to start again completely why not just log in again with different ID/password. I have two harmonys each has an account; plus I have another account just to mess around with.

Richard

18. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Great remote, well so far so good. until recently. Haven;t cahnged positon of cradle or method of placement, yet all of a sudden it doesn't sit correctly. Needs a wiggle to get 'first' locating beep, then if left continues to beep on and off until I re-wiggle to stop. Seems to take two or three goes to get it charging.

I own the remote control, but it controls me when it comes to charging. I believe it's beeps are giggles as I walk away. It knows who's boss......ha.ha.ha.ha

Would be interested if anyone has had their cradle replaced. Will contact them soon if I can't find a solution.

19. ian watson

ian watson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did vote that I had no problem. But a few weeks later I now need to move it about a bit for it to sit correctly.

20. S Helton

S Helton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you press the Glow button once the remote is charging the display dims.

21. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Easier said than done.....

When you press the glow button the remote moves slightly on the contacts and comes off charge.

Move the remote slightly to get it charging again.

Try to press the glow button again and....... 5 minutes later.....

Forget it !!!!

:thumbsdow

You could always save a plain black image to each of the screensaver slots

;)

22. hurstnicholas

hurstnicholas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is no use to me, because contrary to Logitech's repeated assurances re. Pace STBs and the fact that the Logitech website offered me the codes for my exact Pace box, the remote does NOT work with the box and Logitech refuse to do anything about it!
    See my seperate thread on this issue.

23. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Charging is very touch and go if you just place the remote on the cradle. Instead, press the remote down firmly on the cradle (press glow while pressing if you don't want the slideshow) then gently let go and all should be well. If you hear two beeps while releasing try again. Bit of a fiddle but otherwise a superb remote.

24. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there,

Has anyone, who may have contacted Logitech regarding the cradle, heard anything. I've fired off a couple of e-mails via my members logon to see what they said, but neither of these e-mails have been acknowledged nor replied to. I'll consider 'phoning them during the week to see what they say.

Anyone any news ?

Cheers
    Dickster

25. CosmosblueMR2

CosmosblueMR2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this plainly does not work.. because as soon as you place it on the charging unit it goes straight to the "menu" HARMONY REMOTE and lists 4 Languages.. ok it stays "dim" but you can see it's not charging - the battery level is not moving.

I have tried for 10 mins now and cannot stop the slideshow and charge at the same time. (ie i want to press the "glow" button to stop the slideshow when charging) :thumbsdow

cradle is appauling. :nono:

26. CosmosblueMR2

CosmosblueMR2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *update*
    I called their toll free US helpline... (must say they are brilliant :thumbsup: )

right then - you CANNOT turn off the slideshow when in the charging cradle.

I asked about the "glow" button and they said that "no - if placed in the cradle the "glow" button would not turn off the screen "only"... it would take you to a menu first and stop charging".

The only way according to the Helpdesk is to upload a completely BLACK screensaver thingy.. and have that as the slideshow.

HTH for anyone who's getting annoyed with the slideshow being on constantly whilst in the cradle :smashin:

27. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Well it works with my 885 even if it doesn't with yours. So "plainly" it does work for some but not others. There have been many helpful suggestions on overcoming the hypersensitive connections with the cradle :thumbsup: . Not all of them worked for me, but that didn't make them wrong! Perhaps we have set up our remotes up differently as mine doesn't go to a menu and list 4 languages.
    Using a black image for a slide show sounds like a good ruse to avoid needing dextrous finger work.

28. dancuprar

dancuprar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the remote a week ago, never had a problem with the cradle as yet, wonder if they have made a mod

29. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Looks like Logitech is aware of the problem....

This 'lifted' from an 880 owner writing in forum at remotecentral

[font=tahoma,verdana,arial,helvetica]"We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your Harmony 880. After conducting a full investigation we have determined that, in a small percentage of cases, the Harmony 880 will charge intermittently or stop charging. Our Engineering Team have isolated the cause of this problem to the charging base station and have developed and tested a solution which is now being implemented into our production line.

These new base stations will be available within the next 3 weeks at which time we will courier one to you."
    [/font]

30. Xoco

Xoco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I came to the same conclusion. When I put some weight on the remote (at the screen end), it works fine. I think the problem is that the springs (not sure that's the exact word - sorry, I speak french) under the 3 contacts on the cradle are to strong, and the weight of the remote is not enough to push them. Because of that, the contact is only effective with two of the three, and the remote doesn't charge. When you press the remote in the cradle, you can "feel" the last contact and the charging process starts. But if you remove the weight, the remote is pushed back by the springs and the third contact is lost.