1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Opinion on 'acceptability' of judder displaying 50Hz sources @ 60Hz

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andyatkins, Dec 7, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a Panny HD6 owner wishing to display Sky HD when it arrives I would like to poll members views on how noticeable the judder effect is if you use a processor to go from 50 to 60Hz. I noticed this post in the Video Processing forum:-

Its not possible to FRC from 50 to 60Hz without any judder but saying that most of todays better video processors (Crystalio, Lumagen DVI/HDP/Pro, iScanHD) should be able to do this without too much judder present, I can personally vouch for the Lumagen as I have one and convert everything to 60Hz. There is some judder present but its only mild and only usually noticiable on long panning shots..

So what are your views people? - is it really noticaeble or just a very slight minor annoyance - especially interested in what the footy may look like?

Thanks

2. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have an IScan HD (loan unit till my HD+ arrives) and i don't find the judder noticeable when i'm watching tv - unless i'm actually looking for it.

I wonder whether its like DLP rainbow effect , some people are more sensitive to it than others.

3. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I bought a Pioneer 50MXE1 specifically because it will accept NR @50Hz via DVI.
    I find judder unacceptable on a display that costs thousands of pounds.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My HD 42 and iscan is OK, only really noticeable with that scrolling text. I have a client who has a 50" panasonic, he finds it unacceptable, so maybe it's a size thing. Not sure if he's a member or 'just a lurker', perhaps he'll comment on the level of the problem.

5. daniel.godfrey

daniel.godfrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The more I watch it the more the judder rankles - especially on football. So I guess it's back to VGA - for now. I have three hopes and I have till 2006 for one of them to come true.

1. There will be a processor that will feed the screen at 60Hz without judder.
    2. I will be able to buy a device in a market in Bangkok which will strip the copy protection!
    3. Panasonic will give me a DVI Board which will accept 50 Hz.

Failing any of these, I guess I'll have to get a new screen but will wait until they do football in HD.

Daniel

P.S.

What time should I expect you tomorrow, Martin?

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Me too...it's one of those things that really bugs me...the MXE-1s are just so smooth it's a revelation when you see one in action...if only Pioneer would get together with Panny and combine the best features of each we'd have the makings of the ultimate plasma - well for the time being.

Cheers, Lee

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think option 2 is the most likely to happen rather than the other two.

Adding an extra 10 frames to a 50Hz source is always going to result in a certain amount of judder and with the HDMI input board available soon for the series 7 screens Panny have no real need to sort out the DVI blade as they see it as more of a corporate rather than consumer option.

Cheers, Lee

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And there is still some doubt over whether the HDMI board will take the 50Hz signals!
    See you around midday?