POLL: Has your OLED TV suffered burn in? (NOTE YOUR VOTE WILL BE PUBLIC)

Has your OLED TV suffered burn in?

• Total voters
OLEDs have a 4th white sub-pixel, comes in handy for white on-screen logos.

That is a very beneficial post BAMozzy. I bought an OLED C9 as it was the best I could afford and have a living room game set up, wireless keyboard, mouse, headphones and a pretty powerful PC. I was however unaware of the burn in issue at purchase. I am not too worried as I reduce opacity on logos that allow or turn others off that I don’t need. I game max 2 hours a day if that and watch maybe 2-3 hours of TV on average. But most of the games I play I do have HDR on like RDR2, Forza 4, Gears 5, COD Modern Warfare which again, many say not to use excessively. Which defeats the whole point of having it if you are told not to use it as the pixels will wear even faster. If I can get a few years out of it I will be happy.

Last edited:
My idea is that if an OLED can last around 3-4 years without burn in which affects mediau consumption I'll be happy and likely upgrade anyway.

I know its a bad way to think about it but realistically thats where I'm at.

I’m the same 4 years will do me but my two year old E7 now has a new panel but I still only expect two years.Hopefuly 2018 and onwards OLEDs are longer lasting but my new panel should give me two years.
I would be happy if it went again after two years as I still have a three warranty so I’d get six years with another new panel.Of course I’d be over the moon if it lasted another five years but I can’t see that happening.

My idea is that if an OLED can last around 3-4 years without burn in which affects mediau consumption I'll be happy and likely upgrade anyway.

I know its a bad way to think about it but realistically thats where I'm at.

Bingo!

I don't think I have ever not upgraded before 2 years is up, the fact is my B6 still impresses me every day, now at 3 years, I watch Sky News daily and still not got enough 'burn' to affect my viewing. In another year I will upgrade, that is still the longest I have kept a TV for.

Its surprising that there have been no users with any signs of letterbox wear , as there must be users with a high percentage of viewing that content so you would expect to see uneven wear .

It is not burn in like that, it is the red pixels fade faster than the others, in laymans terms, therefore having the black bars will not really be a problem. Unless you are watching a film of pure red.

That is a very beneficial post BAMozzy. I bought an OLED C9 as it was the best I could afford and have a living room game set up, wireless keyboard, mouse, headphones and a pretty powerful PC. I was however unaware of the burn in issue at purchase. I am not too worried as I reduce opacity on logos that allow or turn others off that I don’t need. I game max 2 hours a day if that and watch maybe 2-3 hours of TV on average. But most of the games I play I do have HDR on like RDR2, Forza 4, Gears 5, COD Modern Warfare which again, many say not to use excessively. Which defeats the whole point of having it if you are told not to use it as the pixels will wear even faster. If I can get a few years out of it I will be happy.

I've managed just 7 months of an LG C8 and now have image retention from just 1-2 hours a day of playing FIFA (burnt in hud elements). Sadly now that I have noticed it I see it all the time.

I've managed just 7 months of an LG C8 and now have image retention from just 1-2 hours a day of playing FIFA (burnt in hud elements). Sadly now that I have noticed it I see it all the time.

That seems to have worn much faster than many tests have seemed to indicate. Is Fifa a HDR game?

What screen settings did you use for FIFA?

Was just standard HDR Game mode (FIFA automatically changes to HDR. I've now resorted to removing all hud elements from in game settings , but think it's a case of shutting the barn door after the horse has already bolted.

That seems to have worn much faster than many tests have seemed to indicate. Is Fifa a HDR game?
Yeah defaults to HDR (I use HDR Game mode). Have contacted LG so just waiting a response with regards to still being in 12 month warranty and keeping my fingers crossed.

While I would guess someone with burn-in might be more likely to vote on this thread I was still surprised with the votes cast so far with people who have experienced problems.

Yes any TV could go wrong. But it is worrying this specific problem (which OK some people do get it sorted free of charge) there is no guarantee with the clauses in the guarantees.

Looks like I will be back looking at Samsung and Sony's mid/high end LED's this year.

Yeah defaults to HDR (I use HDR Game mode). Have contacted LG so just waiting a response with regards to still being in 12 month warranty and keeping my fingers crossed.

HDR does cause faster wear as the sub-pixels have to be much brighter. If you continue to play with the HUD elements but in SDR, you will still get more wear on those areas but at slower rate so it won't deteriorate as fast. You can't reverse it though.

It would be great if LG will do something for you but I fear they could be difficult - not covered by warranty, classify it as 'abuse' or your fault rather than a fault or issue of theirs.

HDR does cause faster wear as the sub-pixels have to be much brighter. If you continue to play with the HUD elements but in SDR, you will still get more wear on those areas but at slower rate so it won't deteriorate as fast. You can't reverse it though.

It would be great if LG will do something for you but I fear they could be difficult - not covered by warranty, classify it as 'abuse' or your fault rather than a fault or issue of theirs.
They will replace it within the 12 months regardless, they've even recently been repairing panels over 2 years old free of charge, even though they are out of warranty.

They will replace it within the 12 months regardless, they've even recently been repairing panels over 2 years old free of charge, even though they are out of warranty.

For this type of issue?? That's good if that is the case and then maybe they should make ot known that they have a warranty that covers the panel for such. I know they have replaced issues of banding and vignetting but not heard that they will replace a panel with uneven wear/burn in. Its often been the retailer (those more inclined to look after the customer) that have authorised replacements despite the fact that the warranty doesn't cover burn in.

For this type of issue?? That's good if that is the case and then maybe they should make ot known that they have a warranty that covers the panel for such. I know they have replaced issues of banding and vignetting but not heard that they will replace a panel with uneven wear/burn in. Its often been the retailer (those more inclined to look after the customer) that have authorised replacements despite the fact that the warranty doesn't cover burn in.
Loads of cases on here recently of burn in, with the panels being replaced free of charge by LG out of warranty, and it's been known for years that its covered within the first 12 months, lg have stated this themselves plenty of times.

Can you direct me to the small print where LG say this?

Thanks.
I don't know if there's any small print, but there is plenty of owners on here who have had their panel replaced for screen burn within the first 12 months with LG telling them its covered, there's also plenty who have had it replaced outside of the 12 months now too.

The results of this poll confirms what Dodgexander said "This forum and the internet in general is a place where people mostly come when they have a problem, there aren't many cases on the forum (or online for that matter) where there is an incentive for someone to tell us how fantastic their OLED is and how they haven't suffered from burn in. People naturally report when they have a problem, not when they don't!"

It is not burn in like that, it is the red pixels fade faster than the others, in laymans terms, therefore having the black bars will not really be a problem. Unless you are watching a film of pure red.

Well actually if it was just a case of normal wear then black bars would pose a problem. Those pixels would be significantly under utilised compared to the rest of the panel. At the very least on full field red frames you'd see a marked difference.

In fact the same is true of most content, because it really isn't random in terms of sub pixel utilisation. For example faces are more likely to be in the centre of the frame, which will of course utilise the red sub pixels to a greater degree.

If you think it through, it cannot possibly just be a case of normal wear. Where 60 consecutive minutes of lighting up a sub pixel is the same as 1 minute of lighting up the red sub pixel on 60 separate occasions. Otherwise before long we'd all be seeing a complete and utter mess on a full field red frame, since there's no way all the pixels would have worn out evenly.

It's clearly premature decay related to displaying static content. (I'm not suggesting that's the users fault).

We are seeing sets where there is dark patches in the middle where people's faces have been.

When the content is static the set darkens that static logo etc. So I disagree, static images are not actually an issue, it is aeras that use 100% red that are the issue. Red and bright Yellow graphics, and graphics that are moving more so.

Black bars would be an issue, if it were a full red/yellow field everywhere else, but this doesn't happen, therefore it is not.

We are seeing sets where there is dark patches in the middle where people's faces have been.

When the content is static the set darkens that static logo etc. So I disagree, static images are not actually an issue, it is aeras that use 100% red that are the issue. Red and bright Yellow graphics, and graphics that are moving more so.

Black bars would be an issue, if it were a full red/yellow field everywhere else, but this doesn't happen, therefore it is not.

That is what I have been seeing people say on here for years. It is screenware not burn and the yellow and red pixel colours wear out fastest. GMB logo anyone?

OLED is a no go for me due to my use but I have been looking into getting one in another room away from my PC and gaming use, even then I am still not sure.

If it's just typical cumulative wear then why does it have to be "full red/yellow field everywhere else" to cause black bars to be an issue?

None of the content we watch is truly random, unless you watch static. Over time there will be significant variation in sub pixel utilisation. If you watch a lot of content with black bars, those areas will clearly have been utilised less then the rest of the screen. The adjacent pixels will have been lit up at 100% at various points. So you would see a marked difference between the pixels in the black bar area and the pixels adjacent to it.

Moreover, if it's just cumulative wear, after a few thousand hours any full field solid frame should look an absolute mess. Because there's no chance every pixel will have been utilised evenly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom