Polk tl600

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dougiem, Jun 20, 2015.

?
  1. Onkyo nr 414

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Denon avr 1613 av

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dougiem

Dougiem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi iv have basic knowledge about speaker set up at best, I bought Polk speakers tl600 models due to searching google and reading reviews all seamed good can anyone tell me if they are as good as people say? My friend told me they are not very good due to 2 inputs to the sub instead of the normal one also isn't sure why they have 4 input points and 4 outputs on the sub
    I have been trying to do a cinema set up on a budget so iv been looking on eBay for a receiver has anyone got any suggestions ? I like the look of the onkyo tx nr414
    Thanks for reading

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    The connectors on the Sub are relatively Standard - though High Level Speaker connectors have disappeared on a lot of Subs now that most AVR's offer a dedicated LFE (Low Frequency Effects) Output on the AVR.

Line-in (Red and White RCA) - allows you to use the Sub with a Stereo Amp or send a Mono LFE signal from your AVR 'Sub Out' to the Red RCA input on the Sub (this is how you will configure your system).

High-level Speaker connectors - are used when you have an older AV Amp with no dedicated LFE Sub Out (you will ignore these connectors once you have your New AVR).

The above connectors do not make a good or a bad Sub they simply add a bit more flexibility to the system in terms of which Amp folk may use the Sub with.

Careful positioning of the speakers in line with Dolby Labs layout guide plus correct setup of the AVR & Sub controls will have the biggest effect on how well the speakers operate in your room.

Speaker Setup Guide

Joe

3. Dougiem

Dougiem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks joe, what do you think of the Polk tl1600 speakers are they worth £150 I was debating on returning them and going with a well named brand but would love to hear people opinions
    Douglas

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    Not a speaker I've listened too.

Polk are big in North America but not a brand that features much in the UK - you would have to be brave to put big money into yet another imported speaker brand (especially one with such a huge range of options) with so many others already available.

I can't imagine there is any reason to return them/swap them - they have favourable feedback elsewhere and offer a fair level of build/sound for the money.

Joe

5. Dougiem

Dougiem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I think i will give them a try, all I need now is a half decent cheap avr