1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polk Monitor 40's or Paradigm Mini Monitors?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by johnny_munyak, Sep 7, 2005.

1. johnny_munyak

johnny_munyak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a hard time making up my mind. Both seem to be very well built speakers. I can get the Polks for around $270 /pair Canadian.($500 Retail) The Paradigms are more ~ $548 Cnd. Both have similiar frequency response, and size. I have a Paradigm PS1200 series subwoofer and I love it. It is stunning.

I am really impressed with Paradigm build quality and sound, however, I can't seem to justify spending the extra money for them if the Polk Audio Monitor 40's offer nearly the same sound quality. I intend on using them to complete my 7.1 home theatre system driven by a Pioneer 1015 TX reciever.

The paradigms are only sold by one dealer in my area, so the deals are not as good as I can get on the Polk's.

Can someone give me some pro and cons for either speaker to help make up my mind? Any other suggestions?? :lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that both Paradigm and Polk are rare beasts indeed in the UK so doubt whether you will get any comparative reviews from us lot.

3. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fortunately here in SA both Polk and Paradigm are quite freely available. Cant say I've heard the monitors of either brand. I have however heard the Paradigm Monitor 11 and Polk RTi 12's in an A-B comparison. Speakers, being a very subjective part of HC, I preferred the Paradigms, better build and finish quality first of all. The monitor 11 are beasts, very powerful bass and well defined mid range. Admitedly they were using Rotel to drive them. The Polks weren't bad, not by any means, the Paradigms just felt more present, if you know what I'm trying to say. Whether or not this applies to the smaller 'monitors' I would not presume to know but based on my experiences the Paradigms were better IMHO.

Hope this helps

Skinny