Polk in-wall vs Sonance

MetalBuck

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the forum and need some help here. I am trying to decide between some Polk in-wall/in-ceiling speakers and the Sonance 5.1MAG Premium package of speakers at Best Buy (they are Magnolia level speakers apparently).

The problem is I have not seen ANY reviews or much feedback online AT ALL on the Sonance speakers. Not sure if that is because they are just new or they aren't popular? I think it is a bit strange. Even at bestbuy.com where the speaker package is listed on their own purchase page, they don't give alot of detail on them there. The Best Buy consultant I spoke to is high them (of course), but they seem a bit pricey. They were on sale for $1400, but are now back up to their normal price of over $3,000. I posted about them in another forum trying to dig for info and not alot of people seemed to be familiar with them but one poster seemed to indicate that they are too pricey for what you get with them but not much more info was given.

In terms of the Polk speakers, I am looking at the 265-RT for the center and two front channels, (2) 65-RT for the rears and (2) 70-RT for the ceiling Atmos channels. Plus I am interested in the RSL Speedwoofer 10S as my sub, which I am have read pretty much everywhere I look that these beat out most high price subs...so I think I am sold on that.

What does anyone know about these Sonance speakers and how they might compare to the Polks I listed above in terms of quality, performance and value for the price?

Thanks

The 'consultant' gave what reasons to buy them apart from it's a sale for him?

The 'consultant' gave what reasons to buy them apart from it's a sale for him?

Said they (the Sonance) are really good speakers for the price. Normally $3500, were on sale for $1400 as a set. Said he has had customers blown away by them. Keep in mind Best Buy people are not on commission so they have less incentive to sell more expensive stuff. Looks like they are back up to $3500 now, but apparently they go on sale periodically.

Are you insinuating they aren't great speakers?

I'm not insinuating that they're crap, just interested in the reasons they gave why one is better than the other. Just saying customers are apparently blown away by them is not reason enough to buy something. You need facts regarding the different specs, performance, placement etc etc and importantly a demo using source material your familiar with.

I'm not insinuating that they're crap, just interested in the reasons they gave why one is better than the other. Just saying customers are apparently blown away by them is not reason enough to buy something. You need facts regarding the different specs, performance, placement etc etc and importantly a demo using source material your familiar with.

I can try to go into Best Buy to see if they have the Sonance speakers on demo. However, where else can I get demos on other competing brands that I am considering? Best Buy only has a few brands they work with and if I am considering Polk, Atlantic Technology, Klipsch, Monoprice, etc. I know for a fact their stores don't have any of those to demo....

Seeing as I'm not your side of the pond I don't know anything about your hifi shops or lack of

There is a lack of inwall speaker reviews generally. I was also recommended sonance by an installer but put off by lack of reviews and user comments. The nearest being "there OK".

Still not sure about them or what others to recommend
Mk have a good rep but expensive not heard them so might be worth it
Monitor Audio custom install better value and I did like the silver series I demoed
KEF ci have a thx so should be OK for a bit more money

There are many more

So, I DID buy the Sonance MAG 5.1 premium in wall/ in ceiling speaker combo package.

The 5.1 premium has the front 3 rectangle speakers and 2 circle speakers and 10” sub.

I bought 1 additional pair of Sonance circular ceiling speakers to make a 7.2 system. (2 subs).

I cannot comment about the MAG 5 system with the 4 circle speakers 🔊..

To be honest, I am damn impressed. Add a quality amp, good speaker wire, and a better sub than what comes w the system, to make for 2 subs, and this thing is clean, clear, loud, and bright in notes.

The $1,499 or $1,699 mark down price seems to be the price at least half the year.

If you break the cost per speaker down, it’s a value package. Which makes me question the level of hifi quality.

With that said in my earlier life i entered bass and audio quality vehicle competitions.

There is always the next, next, better, better, with that said, giving the quality a 8.4, the value a 9.

It’s prob all psychological, but had my eye on the Sonance VP66 as a center replacement, just so i know the main voices are crisp and clean as one would wish for.

That’s all. I’m a fan. I too find the Best Buy only brand strange. And ill informed and advised. Step it up www.RTings.com :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom