Political Non-entities (particularly front benchers)

This thread has cracked me up to be honest. The OP doesn't seem to know who anyone is, now someone is being criticised for not mentioning enough names.
I'm beginning to think the OP was being a bit disingenuous at claiming not to know who Rachel Reeves is.

Nah he just focused on Boris' team because it's lazy and predicable. Yet inexplicably avoided 3 prominent cabinet members.
A non-entity is a faceless nobody - Patel, Javid and even Sunak are fairy recognisable. I also don't regard Javid and Sunak as major LMFs.

You know what I find lazy and vulgar? A needless attack on Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe for being photographed with her MP and the Labour leader.

I'm beginning to think the OP was being a bit disingenuous at claiming not to know who Rachel Reeves is.
Perhaps they could have better selected Jim McMahon or Louise Haigh. Any idea which departments they shadow?

Perhaps they could have better selected Jim McMahon or Louise Haigh. Any idea which departments they shadow?

Surely they were elected to their MP role, by their constituency, like everyone else, so why are they are any worse than Johnson or Starmer etc, politically?

Also, assuming the OP was being genuine with their post, they specifically referenced Reaves as they saw her on GMB..

This thread has cracked me up to be honest. The OP doesn't seem to know who anyone is, now someone is being criticised for not mentioning enough names.
I didn't know who one person was, namely the 2nd or 3rd most powerful person in the shadow cabinet, who everyone really ought to know, but they do not seem to have a very high profile at all.

The point of the post was really about who is in high office or shadow office who do not have any kind of high profile, or any profile, ie: they are a non-entity.

Last edited:
The point of the post was really about who is in high office or shadow office who do not have any kind of high profile, or any profile, ie: they are a non-entity.
I gave a long list who mostly came out of nowhere - nobodies straight into high office, who've only excelled at being gaslighting stooges/minions - lying in unison, walking back the lie in unison, lying about walking back the lies in unison (Mogg's doing this right now on LBC) - but not excelled at their jobs. Subsequently honoured for failure, since they know where all the bodies are buried.

I didn't know who one person was, namely the 2nd or 3rd most powerful person in the shadow cabinet, who everyone really ought to know, but they do not seem to have a very high profile at all.

The mainstream media don’t focus on the opposition especially as most media is right leaning. And shadow ministers have no power so it’s not really surprising they don’t have a high profile.

I think calling them non entities is rude and dismissive though.

The mainstream media don’t focus on the opposition especially as most media is right leaning. And shadow ministers have no power so it’s not really surprising they don’t have a high profile.

I think calling them non entities is rude and dismissive though.
Diane Abbott
Emily Thornberry
Angela Raynor
Jess Philips

Plenty of Labour female MPs get great coverage. None of them have any real shadow role on importance.

The Shadow Chancellor should be really well known, if she isnt how are anbody supposed to vote for her etc etc.

Diane Abbott
Emily Thornberry
Angela Raynor
Jess Philips

Plenty of Labour female MPs get great coverage. None of them have any real shadow role on importance.

The Shadow Chancellor should be really well known, if she isnt how are anbody supposed to vote for her etc etc.
Her own constituents will know her and the rest of us don’t have the opportunity to vote for her.

Angela Rayner is shadow deputy leader so hardly an unimportant role, Emily Thornberry is shadow attorney general and Jess Phillips has an important shadow role on safeguarding and domestic violence.

There will be plenty of coverage of them when an election is announced.

Her own constituents will know her and the rest of us don’t have the opportunity to vote for her.

Angela Rayner is shadow deputy leader so hardly an unimportant role, Emily Thornberry is shadow attorney general and Jess Phillips has an important shadow role on safeguarding and domestic violence.

There will be plenty of coverage of them when an election is announced.
Yep, we do, and that's one of the reasons I won't be.

ETA: Mind you, I still don't think she's the unknown that the OP is making her out to be, unless they don't have any interest in politics which seems unlikely when you consider we are in the Politics section of the forum.

Yep, we do, and that's one of the reasons I won't be.

ETA: Mind you, I still don't think she's the unknown that the OP is making her out to be, unless they don't have any interest in politics which seems unlikely when you consider we are in the Politics section of the forum.
As I explained, I had never heard of her before the GMB interview and was surprised that she was in theory a shadow front bencher (no.2 behind sirK), and I had never heard of her.

There must be a reason all of these others having higher profile than RR.

As I explained, I had never heard of her before the GMB interview and was surprised that she was in theory a shadow front bencher (no.2 behind sirK), and I had never heard of her.

There must be a reason all of these others having higher profile than RR.
She’s not as ‘in your face’ as some of those you have named and for that reason may have had less TV coverage and/or invites to appear.

Shes been around for a long time but I think the main explanation is that she wasn’t on the front bench when Corbyn was leader between 2015 and 2020 so didn’t have a portfolio to comment on. She served instead on a parliamentary committee which is much lower profile.

She was never less well known than the guy she currently shadows when he was appointed to the actual role in govt.

In your world may be...
Some of us are not au fait with the financial wheelers and dealers and billionaire bankers. Perhaps in your world you are. Many of us would have known of Reeves, as she has been around a while. He was a complete unknown to me, and I suspect many who do not deal in the world of high finance. Says it all really. A billionaire chancellor controlling the lives of the people of this country through his skewed lens.

In your world may be...

No, in my 'world' (or in other words 'me', as most of my mates really don't give a stuff) I'd heard of all of them, Reeves has been doing the Sunday morning shows for over a decade, she was probably known to most followers of politics long before Sunak. Most of us are in this forum because we probably pay more attention to politics and current affairs than the average Joe, who couldn't care less.

I think it says a lot about people like scarty16 that they know Rishi Sunak, but not Rachel Reeves.
Not all of us a multi millionaire tax dodgers and disaster capitalists, the only people with a good reason to support the Conservative Party.
Them and fraudsters, obviously.

I love the "shoot the messenger" and "discredit the messenger" vibes here.

I have seen this on a few of the politics threads, the Labour party are criticised and the Labour supporters jump on the poster and try to discredit them in many ways.

A more sophisticated response would be to say "well if they don't know who she is, what do we do about it?".

But hey ho, the Labour election wing tactic of ignoring the comment and go straight after the commentator is straight from the top - thinking of you Gordon Brown.

I have seen this on a few of the politics threads, the Labour party are criticised and the Labour supporters jump on the poster and try to discredit them in many ways.

A more sophisticated response would be to say "well if they don't know who she is, what do we do about it?".

But hey ho, the Labour election wing tactic of ignoring the comment and go straight after the commentator is straight from the top - thinking of you Gordon Brown.
Hm, I’m not sure even you could claim that this ‘unsophisticated’ response is one adopted only by Labour supporters.

Labour supporters are not one amorphous lump that share the same behaviours and traits. Just like not all Tory supporters are selfish and compassionless (although all of the current Tory government are).

That's exactly what the government you support does every single day.

Therefore the hypocrisy of your statement shouldn't be lost on you.

That's exactly what the government you support does every single day.

Therefore the hypocrisy of your statement shouldn't be lost on you.
I have no idea what the government does on a day to day basis, not that interested to be honest.

But you at least you proved my point here on AVF. :)

Only if your exclusive lack of awareness about her in relation to many others, was representative. I've already suggested it isn't, or only 'in your world', as you'd put it. Once again, not a Labour supporter, not shooting the messenger.

Only if your exclusive lack of awareness about her in relation to many others, was representative. I've already suggested it isn't, or only 'in your world', as you'd put it. Once again, not a Labour supporter, not shooting the messenger.
I ask my family and friends including my "red" mother, didn't register as a name with any of them.

I ask my family and friends including my "red" mother, didn't register as a name with any of them.
Yes but as I said it has to be comparative.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom