Polishing piano black speakers

gav_sw20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Pretty much as the title states really.

I have some B&W speakers that need polishing to remove some grubby marks. Any ideas at all please?

I just dampen a micro fibre cloth and gently rub. My KEF speakers respond fine with this method but my over seven year old REL sub is beginning to show up some slight marking.

Pretty much as the title states really.

I have some B&W speakers that need polishing to remove some grubby marks. Any ideas at all please?

Anything with a gloss/piano finish need to be cared for carefully. I would fully recommend the softest cloth you can get,in my opinion something like a micro suede cloth. The finish is hugely susceptible to marring (fine scratches that end up in swirling-just like swirling on car paint but even worse!) General finger marks etc you would only need the cloth dry but anything else you might want to look at an alcahol based product

Agree on finding a nice soft cloth.

Nothing wrong with a little Autogylm Super Resin Polish, if you have fine scratches this can help to remove them as it has a light cut, but it also has some fillers in so will hide them up.

I read a post a while back, as I was interested in looking after my gloss black speakers. Someone who had worked for Bowers and Wilkins (I think from memory) said that they used car polish in the factory to give them their final finish.

try this Polish, used it on my cars for years.

Yeah that’s correct, car polish is used. Just be mindful that any polish if not used correctly can result in the same kind of marring to the finish. All depends how anal you are and if the speakers are in direct sunlight etc

Used the one I posted above on some piano black speakers last year with a microfibre cloth and no swirl marks were added.

Damp Shammy Leather is the best way I've found. Needs to be a good Shammy and you have to ensure that it is clean of bits

Damp Shammy Leather is the best way I've found. Needs to be a good Shammy and you have to ensure that it is clean of bits
He wasn't too bad a singer and actor either. Shammy Davies Jr.

Sorry, sorry. I've been biting my lip. I just couldn't resist. The old ones are the best.:D

He wasn't too bad a singer and actor either. Shammy Davies Jr.

Sorry, sorry. I've been biting my lip. I just couldn't resist. The old ones are the best.:D

Got to be said in the manner of Sean Connery as James Bond :).

Being as OCD with my car as my Home Cinema a shammy leather will induce marring so best avoided.
A good quality micro fibre cloth to apply car polish lightly a second clean one to remove the polish

Being as OCD with my car as my Home Cinema a shammy leather will induce marring so best avoided.
A good quality micro fibre cloth to apply car polish lightly a second clean one to remove the polish
Agree, quality microfibre cloth and the Gtechniq nano polish I linked to in my earlier post.

Make sure that before using any soft cloth, blast the surface from a compressed air can to get rid of as much debris as possible, otherwise you will simply be rubbing this against the surface. Good guidelines from the SVS site:

Proper Cleaning and Care of Gloss Speakers and Subwoofers

I can also highly recommend finishing off with carnauba car wax, it really comes out like new

9098X9Y.jpg

Hi going by the comments . There are a few for cleaning slight Mark's. My subwoofer has them. Anyone know what's best to clean it please . Ty

I am a big fan of the Angelwax products which I have used on my cars. They do a polish called perfect polish which is superb. With a clean microfibre to apply and to remove otherwise go to Halfords and see what Autoglym products they have

Please don’t use a chamois as it can cause swirling

I can also highly recommend finishing off with carnauba car wax, it really comes out like new

9098X9Y.jpg
Lovely Finish, looks like New. Which wax did you use? Need to polish my Rel subwoofers to make them glossy & new like again.

Thanks.

Lovely Finish, looks like New. Which wax did you use? Need to polish my Rel subwoofers to make them glossy & new like again.

Thanks.

Hi I use this Autobright product from eBay, great carnauba wax and I've been using it for years on my cars and now on my subs! I'm sure your RELs will come out like new.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom