Police smash fence - what would you do?

Lee

Reaction score
The police have been though my house, run up the garden and smashed my fence whilst trying to catch someone.

The damage is a broken wooden fence post and a panel, although I must say the panel had seen better days.

Would you claim off the police or fix it yourself?

My wife and me are wanting to let it go but both my lads want us to ring and put a claim in. I don't even know if you can claim.

You would think they'd have a budget for that sort of thing.

Criminals often climb over fences or run through gardens to escape (well, they do on TV), so the Police must cause some damage trying to apprehend them.

And what about car chases? If they're down residential streets or on housing estates, then there's every chance your vehicle may end up being accidentally damaged too.

There's no harm in asking, then you can decide what to do next.

Exactly the same question being asked about here:

:)

Damage to property is a criminal act, carry out a citizens arrest on the offending officer! And then put a claim in :laugh:
:rotfl:....Didn't fancy chasing after him because he had his taser drawn whilst running through the house

You would think they'd have a budget for that sort of thing.

Criminals often climb over fences or run through gardens to escape (well, they do on TV), so the Police must cause some damage trying to apprehend them.

And what about car chases? If they're down residential streets or on housing estates, then there's every chance your vehicle may end up being accidentally damaged too.

There's no harm in asking, then you can decide what to do next.
It was just like you see on TV. There was a police chase and the car crashed and he ran off into gardens. There were loads of police and the helicopter was overhead. Did get to see a beautiful police dog strolling around the garden.

Is this the broken fence post? Damage doesn’t look too bad ;)
11B685FD-85EC-4C09-A4B0-D7B354FA12D5.jpeg

Most forces will arrange something, especially when innocent people become victims, but note that they are not always legally liable for these things when executing their lawful duties.

However as long as the police had no other realistic option at that moment, and they were not ‘reckless’, it has been found in the past that the criminal fleeing the police (and likely committing an offence in doing so - resist arrest, obstruct police, making off from scene of RTC, etc) may be liable. So the cost may in some circumstances be laid upon them at court and they have to pay compensation themselves. I have known that happen, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Either way, just make the call to 101 and ask for the relevant department (or local station - but ultimately it will be the legal department that sorts it out usually), and see what your options are.

Last edited:
In the course of my job, we've done a fair amount of damage to get into people's houses to save life/ property. AFAIK, the fire service don't pay for damage done - bit of a different situation I accept, most people are happy that we've saved Nan/ Nan's dog, so don't tend to bother claiming.

In the course of my job, we've done a fair amount of damage to get into people's houses to save life/ property. AFAIK, the fire service don't pay for damage done - bit of a different situation I accept, most people are happy that we've saved Nan/ Nan's dog, so don't tend to bother claiming.

The fire service is legally exempt in such circumstances, it’s usually a good will payment when it does happen. Unless someone ballsed up and when to the wrong address for example.

Makes mental note for the future, if I think a strange man has entered my back passage do not let police to enter also, as they may make a mess and not be willing to clean up afterwards.

Re the fire service, I'm sure that insurance companies are far more willing to fork out to replace a door or window smashed to gain access (assuming there's still somewhere to fit it to) than to rebuild a fire damaged property or compensate for lives lost.

I'd think any claim will not be successful.
Officers acting lawfully in the execution of their duty as the public expect them to.

However, can't hurt to ask....

I'd think any claim will not be successful.
Officers acting lawfully in the execution of their duty as the public expect them to.

However, can't hurt to ask....

I hope you are wrong.
It would not be good to think the police could cause £100's or £1000's of damage to your property during the 'execution of their duty' which has nothing to do with you.
And you just have no right to expect them to repair any damage.

The police have enough dam money to waste on many things.
A few £1000 to repair damage to private property once in a while would not do any harm.

My view anyway.

Fire Service can enter any property to save life and to fire fight. This also includes adjoining properties. The Service can also break into cars or vehicles and move them to a place of safety either to aid fire fighting or to prevent further spread of the fire.

Fire Service can enter any property to save life and to fire fight. This also includes adjoining properties. The Service can also break into cars or vehicles and move them to a place of safety either to aid fire fighting or to prevent further spread of the fire.

Good to know and I'm sure most would of course accept this.
Such things need to be done in the event of an emergency.
However that does not mean you should have your own property damaged and there not being a system to have things put back as before.
Surely the emergency services must have insurance in place to repair damage inflicted to Innocent people's homes/possessions.

I hope you are wrong.
It would not be good to think the police could cause £100's or £1000's of damage to your property during the 'execution of their duty' which has nothing to do with you.
And you just have no right to expect them to repair any damage.

The police have enough dam money to waste on many things.
A few £1000 to repair damage to private property once in a while would not do any harm.

My view anyway.

I get where you are coming from, and depending on the circumstances, often yes payments are made, however the other way to look at it is that it’s the criminal that’s caused the situation and they are ultimately responsible for the damage and costs. Just like with the fire service - if someone sets a properly on fire, and they force entry to save that person etc, it’s not their fault.

Many years ago, a friend of mine had a similar experience. He lives at the end of a cul-de-sac, the Police were in a car chase, and the criminal lost control when they came to the dead end and crashed into my friends garden wall. The Police simply gave him and incident number and told him to claim on his house insurance.

Slightly different situation as it wasn’t the Police that caused the damage but you could argue that they were a significant contributing cause. My friend did enquire as he wasn’t do happy as there was an excess to pay and his premiums in subsequent years might be higher but the Police would have none of it.

I would like to think that in the OP’s case the Police would pay for the repairs as they did the damage.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
^^
The 'job' of the household insurance is to recover the funds from the person causing the damage?
The incident number given by the police links to that person; if they'd stopped for the ;police the damage wouldn't have occured.
If the insurance company have just passed the costs on to the victim, they've failed their duty.

Good to know and I'm sure most would of course accept this.
Such things need to be done in the event of an emergency.
However that does not mean you should have your own property damaged and there not being a system to have things put back as before.
Surely the emergency services must have insurance in place to repair damage inflicted to Innocent people's homes/possessions.
Fire can and often does affect adjoining properties and with most insurance policies it is the insurer of the original property where the fire began is the policy that the burden falls on. Most of the fire spread in domestic properties is roof damage or smoke damage. With flats it's often water damage to the floors below and smoke damage above. Where I was stationed it was not unusual to break into next door to check or stop fire entering their roof space.

If vehicles have to be moved or damaged, again it's the originating policy that is liable. There is insurance cover for damage by the fire service to property and the biggest claims use to come from car owners that get damaged in the street due to the actions of the fire service. That's usually confined to paint and bodywork damage where hose or equipment has come into contact with them. There is provision for damage to be paid for by the brigade's insurance.

Is the victim surcharge just for the end of the years commissioners drink....

If it was the offender who first scaled the fence, then you should ask the police to include a claim against the offender for the incident that occurred, should it go to court. The court might decide to issue you compensation. Good luck with that. If it was a cop who damaged the fence (in trying to arrest the offender), they will be liable for repairs. You should inform your house insurance company to instigate a claim on your behalf, or you could ask the OIC regarding damage to your property by police, who would forward a claim to the relevant department.

Looks like the fence is in need of some TLC, no offence.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom