Polaroid P50LED14

TUSSFC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Surprised there isn't a thread already for this - it's gone a bit mental over at HUKD over this model as Asda are selling it for £286.

I've got one coming on Saturday morning - for the price I had to give it a go. I don't have a games console and am not really an AV geek ... so am sure this will be an improvement on my fairly average LG 32".

Anyone else got one? Are there any optimum settings to get te best out of it which I should be using?

Polaroid P50LED14 - 50" LED-backlit LCD TV

I ordered this too, but decided to cancel. I read about the buzzing noise people were talking about, seemed to vary whether you would get a loud or minor buzz. I couldn't be assed with the the thought of getting a dud set and having to wait in to get it collected.

It is extremely good value for a 50", provided there's no issues with the TV received.

I am tempted re-order and buy the 3yr warranty for £39.99 for peace of mind.

Edit - I would be running a PS4, Xbox One, 360 and PS3 through it. I don't imagine it being very good for SD TV.

Been running mine all weekend. No buzzing here, tried all the backlight settings and none cause a buzz. Guess there are just some bad units out there. Mine is fantastic. Raspbmc and FreeviewHD look great. Very happy. SD channels are OK, but I am sure could be improved with some optimum settings!

Only 2 HDMI ports, so you'd need a splitted for those 4 consoles.

Been running mine all weekend. No buzzing here, tried all the backlight settings and none cause a buzz. Guess there are just some bad units out there. Mine is fantastic. Raspbmc and FreeviewHD look great. Very happy. SD channels are OK, but I am sure could be improved with some optimum settings!

Only 2 HDMI ports, so you'd need a splitted for those 4 consoles.
Cheers, ordered this morning. Figured it's worth a punt, if not happy can just send it back.

My consoles go into my Onkyo amp so will only need to use 1 HDMI input on TV.

Have you tried gaming on it, I was worried there might be some input delay? Also, any tearing? 60Hz should be fine for consoles, though I read it's 50hz, and others say 60. So not really sure.

I don't have a console mate. Just a Pi.

Hey guys, I will be taking delivery of my 50" Polaroid later today, I have seen it working and the picture is as good as TV's more than 3 times its price. The sound is ok, but seems to be a little thin and tin like. But I have been told and have read that the Polaroid sound bar is a very good piece of kit and is only £50 right now also at Asda. But any sound bar will do the trick.

As for gaming, I will get back to you, as I will be trying my PS3 on it.

Oh may I also add, picture wise. I was very impressed, as on the left of the working model I saw was a £700 Samsung 48 inch and on the right a 47 inch £650 Sony. The Sony in comparison, was very dull and did not seem as sharp as the Polaroid. The Samsung was much more similar to the Polaroid in picture standard.

However, if you changed the viewing angle acutely to the left and right of all the TV's, both the Sony and the Samsung quickly became very dark and hard to see the image to a clear degree. While the vividity and sharpness of the Polaroid remained even at the shallowest of angles. This was very impressive, just thought I would share.

Also the glare and reflection also seemed less on the Polaroid, which is always a good thing. But of course all this was experienced in a well lit aisle in Asda, so take it how you will.

ok. it arrived, its now set up, have had a play around for last hour with it.

I can report I am stunned and amazed. The picture quality is superb in full HD, in SD it is also fantastic. The strength of the colours, contrasts and deep blacks are unbelievable really at this price.

The sound is as thought initially a little metallic like and thin, but adjust the bass and audio equalisers to your liking and hey presto, the sound goes from 5/10 to high 8's/10. Tried sport, drama, action and music and it sounds great now. My sound bar got delayed, I may even cancel the order I am so happy with the TV sound.

Ok and finally, does it work well for gaming... well simply put the old adage does a bear partake in his lavatory duties in the woods will answer that question.

My PS3 experience has just gone to a new level. You see I will be on PS3 for a good while, I have something like a 150 game backlog to play, not considering upgrading to PS4 until 2016 at the very earliest. But I can only imagine how good the PS4 will look. But back to the gaming itself, there is zero refresh rate issues, the TV is very slick and the games run smooth as silk.

This TV is easily the best value for money I have ever seen. Some reviews around the web have said it must be terrible without even trying it, well more fool them.

Visuals: 96/100
Audio (after adjustment): 87/100
Ease of Set-Up & Use: 95/100
For Gaming: 98/100
For Movies: 94/100
For Sport: 96/100
Features for Price: 92/100
Value for Money: 99/100

Overall: 95/100

Outstanding!!!

Sounds a bit too good to be true, especially the Polaroid outperforming Sony and Sammy sets side by side.

Not that I'm suggesting you're lying, more it's ASDA's own brand so I wonder if they nerfed the feed or settings on the competition. For the price I just hope it's as good as my 6yr old set, and has no buzzing noise issues.

I have read some have had buzzing issues, I can report mine has none at all.

I also hear what your saying about the settings in the Asda store on the Samsung and Sony. But, either way, the picture I am experiencing is pretty dang impressive all the same.

And trust me, if there was grumblings and a things wrong with the TV, I would say. But I could not be happier. Hope all this helps.

Mate it won't even be in the same ball park as the sony or samsung

I have a Samsung, my Mother has 2 Sony's, feature wise yes you will be right, and its not a smart TV, but I am afraid you are wrong if you are referring to visual or gaming capabilities. It is very impressive indeed.

Mate for the price it is it's an absolute bargain under £300 for a 50" tv is unbelievable, but the picture it produces will not be in the same league as any 50" samsung or sony and the internal components will nowhere near the same standard as the sammy or sony. Don't get me wrong you got an absolute bargain but they ain't in the same ball park

ok going to agree to disagree here, not here to fall into a random argument, I hear what your saying, I, like you have given an opinion, you assume I have not compared visuals, but not the case. Anyway, I am happy like a pig in s**t, so really that's all that counts.

ok going to agree to disagree here, not here to fall into a random argument, I hear what your saying, I, like you have given an opinion, you assume I have not compared visuals, but not the case. Anyway, I am happy like a pig in poop, so really that's all that counts.
As long as you happy that's all that matters and as I have said you have got a deal and a half, enjoy your tv

I'm looking forward to getting it. Great price, and some decent comments. Naturally I'll be sceptical about quality in comparison. I obviously doubt it being as good as a branded set, at least by today's standards. If it's on par with a branded set that is a model that's a few years old, then I'd still class that as good.

I'll see what I think once I've got it setup, obviously not expecting the world. As long as the picture is good quality with no noticeable delay for gaming then I'll be happy.

I do not care about the audio or lack of Smart features. That's what amp, consoles and PC is for.

had this tv for a week and its spot on and no buzzing noise in the background,, only problem i`ve found is my pc can not find the audio channels through the hdmi ports at the rear of the tv,, picture is perfect but no sound through the tv via pc yet sound worked perfectly on the tv it replaced via the same hdmi lead,, strange :/

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, read a few of your reviews and thought I would write my own review on this TV as I have placed an order for one last Monday. I saw these in store and i had to get one for the price, the next day I went in to the local Asda store in Anlaby, Hull and they had none in stock, only the 40" which was the exact same price! so I asked if there was any left at any of the other stores (I originally saw them at Asda, Kingswood. In Hull) and they said yes, we have 2 left at the Kingswood store, would you like us to reserve one for you so you can go purchase it? Obviously I wanted to, so they reserved it for me. I got there within around 9 minutes if not less, literally. They had not reserved it for me whats so ever. There was none left in stock, and they were not getting anymore in for a while. They checked other stores within a 25 mile radius of there store and there was none. So I had no choice but to order online, wait 9 days after payment and hope that its a good condition one that hasnt been knocked about, in a clean non damaged box, like what was originally at the front of the Kingswood store. Once my TV has arrived I will surely write up a proper review on what I think about the TV. I have very high standards for everything, but with this i'm not. I shall be using my gaming PC via the HDMI input, and my PS4 with the other. I have a full Technics surround sound system that I will be linking up to the TV one its arrived, but i will test the built in speakers for a good 6 - 8 hours to make sure i can give you all a proper opinion on them. The Freeview HD will be getting some good use out of me also so I'll make sure i let you all know about the sound/picture quality, brightness, etc. that's it for now guys, speak soon! :)

I look forward to reading your review Alex, I'm in the market for a new TV too and was initially considering either a Sony or Samsung but the 50 inch-plus models are just a bit too expensive for me and would require a few months of hard saving (I am very weak when it comes to saving lol) but after seeing that Asda do a 50 inch set for less than £300, I had to look into it.

Ok, it's an own-brand set, doesn't have smart features or 3D and I'm not expecting it to better the more well-known brands of TV but from what I've read here and the few reviews on Asda's site, people seem to be relatively happy with it.

As far as smart features go, you can always get a video streaming box like a WD TV Live (which I have) or Apple TV etc, they don't cost a lot at all. Plus I have Virgin Media's Tivo and that has Netflix on it and it's rumored they might get Amazon Film as well. I've also seen that some people say the sound is weak but at the moment I have an Onkyo HTX-22HDX AV receiver with 5.1 speakers and luckily that has 3 HDMI inputs and one out (as well as optical and coaxial inputs), so that should sort the sound issue.

I just checked on Asda's site and it says they're not despatching until 20th of May so these sets must be extremely popular. Alas, I won't have the funds til the end of the month so I hope there'll still be some left by then.

I forgot to ask, does this have HDMI-ARC?

Last edited:
Hi alex.

I don't know if you're interested but I purchased this tv today and just couldn't handle the poor sound. I'm only across the water in grimsby. If you wanted to pay the 286 I paid I'd more than happily keep if for you. If I don't get any joy it'll be going back to the asda down the road!

Cheers

Dan

Hi alex.

I don't know if you're interested but I purchased this tv today and just couldn't handle the poor sound. I'm only across the water in grimsby. If you wanted to pay the 286 I paid I'd more than happily keep if for you. If I don't get any joy it'll be going back to the asda down the road!

Cheers

Dan
don't turn this thread in to a sale thread, we have the classified forum for such things, please use the correct classified forum if you want to sell anything.

Curly

Hi Curly

Sorry don't intend that to be a sale quote. Was more trying to help the guy out. Apologies all round.

Dan

Mine came yesterday, been trying it out and tinkering with some settings. Very impressed for the price. Luckily no buzzing either, however one issue I have noticed is in very dark scenes, or just a black image, there's two large white patches near the centre of the screen - I believe this is light bleed? They look worse in the photo, but I was wondering if anyone else had similar, and whether they would consider this a serious issue or reason to trade. I'm reluctant to swap it as expect I might get a 'buzzing' set, which seems common from the comments (from other HUKD buyers).

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Quality of my camera phone isn't too hot, but besides that issue, here's some other pics that look much better in the flesh. I can also confirm I have no issue with PC @ 1080p, picture fits fine, and is sharp, no blurry text as someone indicated previously on HUKD.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I would get the set swapped, it looks like pressure bleed as if something heavy was put on its box?

My set has no issue in this regard.

Oh and to adjust for the blacks being too deep go to menu: Picture then set it to Game, then go to advance settings and make sure dynamic contrast is off, picture zoom is set to full and HDMI True Black is set to On.

This should help no end bud.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom