Pokémon Quest - Switch

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Thought it would be a good idea to separate out the Switch version of Quest from the main Pokémon thread (which has three games referenced now: Let's Go, Quest, 2019 title).

I've started playing this today (only briefly) and I think I can see where the pay mechanics will start to come in (cooking times reduced, buy rare ingredients and power-ups for expeditions etc), but it seems pretty polished so far.

Clever touch at the start: when you 'befriend' a Pokémon, instead of your normal Kanto starters (Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander), both Pikachu and Eevee are there too - neat :) I chose Charmander, knowing that he's a badass when fully evolved.

Anyone else had a go yet?

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Not yet - will get it downloaded when I get in from work later!

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Just hear me out here...I've played an hour or so, and might be wide of the mark, but, it's a lot like a Diablo-style game, in that you beat enemy waves, collect loot, equip power-ups and go on expeditions (mini missions).

Rinse, repeat.

I'm kinda impressed!

You can go on initially 5 missions before your battery needs recharging (you'll see what I mean) and it's about 20 minutes before it recharges. That said, items and unlocked achievements can give you an instant recharge of the battery, so you can go on more missions.

The attack style is "auto" and you can take more control if you want, but it's good enough. You can execute specific attacks via touch screen.

Cooking ingredients (BotW anyone?) attracts new Pokemon to your base camp, which you can have as part of your three-Pokémon team. I managed to attract a shiny Ponyta by sheer fluke and have a trio of fire types (Charmander, Ponyta and Vulpix).

I can see the timer mechanic being a 'pay to unlock' job, but honestly - 20 mins isn't too bad for a game you will want to play a bit and put down.

Each mission has a strength rating that it advises you at least match before taking part. A handy on-screen indicator shows your combined strength easy enough. Your team will be long or short range attackers - and will form automatically.

For Pokémon not in your party, you can 'consume' them in training (i.e. they leave), but you basically get EXP as a result and contribute to levelling up.

As you level up, stats increase, and you can unlock more slots for buffs (attack up, HP up etc).

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Okay a bit more - so I see there is an element of 'management sim' too if you can put it that way.

The tokens you earn can be spent to recharge batteries (you have 5 initially), and each of the 5 cells seems to recharge every 30 minutes unless you spend 25 tokens (can't remember the correct terminology).

Rewards will recharge it too in fairness. It's a fairly common 'lock-out' mechanic I suppose, but definitely encourages pick-up and play for short periods.

Doing a bit of grind on completed stages, I let the computer do the auto-attacking for me (in terms of specials) and it was quite good - just left it to play itself and got a couple of levels up.

Party is lv 12-14 with the first two areas cleared. After finishing areas 2 and 3 together, it would seem area 4 will open up. Will keep you updated :)

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Tried this freebie today and like it - simplistic tbh but nice for a quick blast in between other games :)

Seems very polished too, add to the fact it's free (bar the DLC) is a no brainer imo

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Anyone else tried this?

Eurogamer (I can't link from work, sorry) described it as "...a sort of automated Diablo" so I kind of got the idea of it!

I've unlocked areas 5-7 and the difficulty has ramped up considerably. The weakness is needing different elemental types of Pokémon in your party.

The drawback? Getting these from cooking and luring to your base camp. Cooking completes based on number of expeditions completed - around 4+ before a meal is done.

On top of that, you need to level up your new 'mon. You can either sacrifice another 'mon for EXP, or go on expeditions. Which gets us back to that battery bar, recharging a notch every 30 minutes.

You can also spend 25 PM Tickets to recharge all five bars. You get 20 tickets a day free.

It's definitely not Pokémon Go levels of paywall frustration, but I will see how far I get before the grind becomes a pain. As far as I can see, however, there is definitely no real pay to win mechanic just yet - no pay to play...ish...

You can't buy PM Tickets on the eShop, but some DLC that includes some as well as other buffs etc. It's well thought out in my opinion and doesn't feel too cheap. Handy for quick blasts while ironing, cooking dinner etc...

Miss Mandy

I’ve got it downloading now, but haven’t played it yet. I’ll try and give it a go later though.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
It's good, but too much (dull) grind in areas 8 to 10 if you're not prepared to pay. I decided enough was enough, but it entertained for a bit. And I can stomach grind in fairness (FF and the like)

Mobile version won't link, so I'm out. It was emotional.

PFMC84

Am I the only one that keeps getting the same rubbish low level Pokémon over and over no matter what I cook? It's impossible to win at the higher levels because my Pokémon are nowhere near strong enough. Not helped by every time I train some to get new moves it keeps going between the same two 0 ATK power moves. :rolleyes:

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Am I the only one that keeps getting the same rubbish low level Pokémon over and over no matter what I cook? It's impossible to win at the higher levels because my Pokémon are nowhere near strong enough. Not helped by every time I train some to get new moves it keeps going between the same two 0 ATK power moves. :rolleyes:
Has your cooking pot been upgraded? Bronze/Silver etc attract higher level Pokémon, but they are never evolved - -which most will do as per normal Pokémon game levels, or, 36 if not normally one to evolve without condition or stones etc.

Best hope is for upgraded pot to attract a high-level non-evolving Pokémon, like, Scyther, Jynx, Lickitung etc.

PFMC84

Yes I have the bronze and silver pots and use hem when items allow to cook meals. Still getting the same crap Pokémon even if they are higher in level. And they are taking an eternity to allow you to add another stone to make them more powerful. And they won’t learn any decent moves. Had an Abra with flash. Trained it and got teleport. Trained it again and got Flash back. I just turned it off after that in disgust! :laugh:

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Yes I have the bronze and silver pots and use hem when items allow to cook meals. Still getting the same crap Pokémon even if they are higher in level. And they are taking an eternity to allow you to add another stone to make them more powerful. And they won’t learn any decent moves. Had an Abra with flash. Trained it and got teleport. Trained it again and got Flash back. I just turned it off after that in disgust! :laugh:
I think the paid-for DLC (about £25?) basically speeds everything up to the point that it no longer seems like a grind at least. I moved on to Yoku's Island Express instead - can't put it down.

Shanew1705

So I downloaded this when it came out, but I;ve only jsut finally got round to playing it

It’s a weird one

I’m really really enjoying it
And got a rough idea what I’m doing
But then also feel I don’t know what I’m doing lol

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom