1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poisitioning a Sanyo PLV-Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pidsley, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Pidsley

Pidsley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have now made my mind up about buying this PJ.

However, being a newbie am thinking about screen size and throw pj position etc.

Has anyone fitted the same pj in a room approx 4.5 from rear wall to screen.

What kinda height will it need to be mounted?

How much can i offset it to one side. (Ideally would like to put it on a shelf in the corner of a room.)

Any help gratefully received.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Z2's lens shift can be used to offset the projector by at least 1/2 screen width and/or 1/2 screen height (or maybe a bit more IIRC). However, you want to avoid the extremes of adjustment because that'll reduce light output and possibly cause very minor but annoying focusing problems due to non-uniform optics.

So, you really want to keep the centre-line from lens to screen within the boundaries of the screen itself, and not in a corner of the screen; left/right edge central height or top/bottom edge central horizontal should be achievable.

3. Pidsley

Pidsley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

What kina length of cable comes with these machines or do i need to buy separately.

Is S-video the best from DVD to pj? If so are longer cables worse for picture quality? To be tidy I would like to to go fom DVD up wall (already have a conduit fro braodband) through ceiling space and back down again. approx 8-9meters i guess.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but can i have NTL digibox and DVD connected to pj at same time? (I do have a marantz amp that has video switching (i think) is it worth running pj through that?

(Too many wires too many boxes too many options, never too many toys!)

4. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    The best quality way to move a picture from your DVD to the PJ is via componant leads. Next best is s-video.

You should consider wireing up your DVD directly (9 meters cable will be no problem, I run mine through 15meters) and connect up your digibox with s-video.

Both can be connected up at the same time, and you can switch source with the PJ remote.

Try to avoid running your Picture signal through an Amp.

Get the image from source to PJ in the most direct route possible, giving the DVD the best connection (as the native source image is better on DVD than NTL )

Cables supplied with all PJ's are crap, so do your homework and buy some elsewhere. I bought mine over the web. Saved a few quid that way.

Good luck

Mark

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, but I'd disagree about not using the receiver for video switching. :)

As long as it's a 'decent' one, I don't know Marantz models (I have a Denon 3803), then there should be neglegible signal degradatation and the benefit of having just one cable run to the projector is a big benefit. Obviously transcoding S-Video to component won't affect the quality at all.

Cable runs of up to 10m are fine for component and don't cost the earth.

I'm assuming here the DVD player doesn't have DVI output, because that'd be better and would be worth a direct connect.

6. Pidsley

Pidsley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats what i like a balanced view.

DVD may have DVI (i need to check) at work right now. If so then DVi direct to PJ (same length comments apply?)

What out connectors would the receiver (is that the same as amp) would i use?

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A 10m DVI cable is going to cost a bit more, you wouldn't go with a cheap one from Lindy for example, they've proved problematic in the past.

If you went DVI for the pj then S-Video would probably still be okay for NTL, you could get a SCART->Component converter but they're not cheap and I'm not sure it'd be worth it .. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Z2 can accept RGB directly. I once had my PACE NTL STB connected via a PC using RGB and while the PQ was a bit better it wasn't a tremendous amount .. OTOH maybe newer boxes like the Samsungs are.

If you find your DVD player is DVI then I'd suggest you try a simple test using a short DVI cable and compare that to component .. if you find the difference small then you may wish to use component and benefit from receiver signal switching.

And yes 'receiver' is an 'amp', just that many multi-channel 'a/v' amps also for some reason include an FM tuner. :)

8. Pidsley

Pidsley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good thanks, all i gotta do now is buy a pj lol. find a screen etc. :thumbsup:

9. Treworgey

Treworgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

May I add another question to this thread as I have just purchased the same projector and have similar questions.

My room is only 3m front to back and my plan is to use the Sanyo Wall mounting bracket with 45degree mirror to give me the required image size (96" or there abouts). I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using this bracket? I appreciate that it is bl**dy expensive and very hard to get hold of. In fact I am still waiting to find out if I can indeed source one.

Any views much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris Williams

10. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    dont have any experiance of the bracket myself, but I know that Ivojo here in the UK sell the one for the Z2, and I believe the mounts for the Z3 are the same (but ask Ivojo first !)

Good luck

Mark

11. Treworgey

Treworgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I did phone ivojo last week and was informed that Sanyo never imported the bracket to the UK! On the Japanese Sanyo web site there are brochures for the Z3 that show the same bracket. Hopefully if the Z3 is popular Sanyo will consider importing the bracket now!

Cheers,

Chris

12. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Chris,

Do the Japanese think we all live in HUGE houses with no walls, do you think ?

:thumbsdow

Mark

13. bommaren

bommaren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My view of this is that you should be content with a 90" screen,
    that is a 2 meter wide screen.
    Recommendations are that you should not sit closer than a little less than
    1.5 x Screen width.

I have a 2 m wide screen and sit about 2.7 meters from it,
    the picture is definitely large enough.

Z2 can throw a 2 m wides screen from 2,7 - 3,4.

- B

14. Treworgey

Treworgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the guidance B.

I had a little play with the projector and came to the conclusion that 2m gave me the best flexibility in terms of positioning the projector and as you say is plenty large enough.

I have ordered a 80" x 45" (92" diag) VuTec screen. Costs more than the projector, but I can't bare the thought of wrinkles on the screen!

I might still go for the mirror mount if I can get one as it gives quite a neat installation.

Cheers,

Chris