1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pointless R2 DVD release!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 29, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Um,

Can anyone explain why "Braveheart" has been released today on Region 2 DVD, but with the film on one disc, and the few extras (trailers and 22 minute documentary) on a second disc, when the R1 version has the exact same material but all on one disc?!

This seems rather pointless, especially when you can get the R1 version for about £17-99 and the R2 version in high-street stores has a Recommended Retail Price of £19-99?!

Also, the R2 version has minor trimmings courtesy of the BBFC for violence, and a horse-fall (using a trip-wire - which is a strict BBFC no-no!), whilst the R1 version is uncensored!

I can't see any point in releasing a double disc, if all the material can legitimately fit on one, unless Fox are trying to find a new way of upping their prices, especially with stuff like "The Abyss" coming-up soon on Region 2, even though everyone bought it on R1 months ago!

Just an observation...

Pooch

2. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its just a wild stab in the dark but could the extra language subtitles have made it impossible for everything to fit on 1 disc?

Also, dont forget the people out there who only have R2 players (I'm sure there must be some!)

Jay

3. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    proberly a ploy to sell more, sounds good when you read it has an extra disk with it, but if its as you say, Whats the point? We are just paying more for the priveldge of having 2 disks arn't we. You can be sure if the americans released the same disk it would have a dam site more than 22minutes on it. I'm looking foward to the R1 Release of Independence Day, now that 2ND disk does look the part
    MARK P

4. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A PAL Image takes more room an NTSC one so it wouldn't of fitted on 1 disc (because it is so long).

5. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    really?

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Bradavon,

Whilst my technical knowledge of DVD capacity amounts to the total sum of bugger-all, I have to say that your reply sounds a little fishy/suspect, to say the least. However, this is not a put-down or slating of you and your reply, merely a speculative raised-eyebrow scenario...

Surely a DVD with a 3hr film, a 22 minute documentary, and a couple of trailers should fit without too many problems onto one dual-layered, single-sided DVD, even with all of the subtitles included, shouldn't it?

Anyway, the R2 version of "Braveheart" is still a con, price-wise.

Pooch

7. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pooch,

You'd have a job getting more than 10 minutes on a disc if it weren't for the massive compression feats performed by the MPEG gubbins squashing it all in. It's probably just for marketing reasons on two discs, but there could be a technical explanation to do with the amount of compression used. Don't suppose anyone has the equipment/can be bothered to check average bit rates to see if R1 and R2 come out the same - all other things being equal, the higher the bitrate the less that will fit on the disc and the better the picture quality.

8. smiller

smiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason is probably down to an old problem of producing double layered discs in Europe. When DVD kicked off here such films as Armageddon & Goodfellas were doubled sided for R2 but single sided for R1. The reason (at the time) for this was down to the fact that the producers in Europe did not have the equipment to produce dual layered discs.

Pretty pants if this is still the case.

They have the gaul to overcharge on featureless, single layered discs anyway so I don't think they would intentionally try to bump it up even more by producing it on two discs. Maybe they're saving up for a new disc press !

PS - In case you didn't know, in one of the battles, as they are charging towards the English, watch Mel Gibson's weapon change from an sword, to a spear, to an axe (not sure if that's the right order !) and back to a sword again as the scene flips between the English and the charging Scots.

PPS - On one occasion in my old local cinema (Falkirk, yes the place where the battle is when Wallace is betrayed.) there was a massive popcorn & food fight between some English people and the rest of the crowd as Braveheart was showing. Nobody was hurt but the film was stopped and order restored. Does anybody else know of any interactive events such as this happening in cinemas ?

------------------
    Success has many fathers but failure is a bastard.

9. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm thats pretty flawed logic, and certainly nothing to do with the lack of availability of DVD9's.

I would suspect that its simply the disc being authored in a conservative way - lets face it the additional space needed to PAL isnt going to help the cause of getting it all onto one disc.

Not sure how many soundtracks there are on the R2 release either but it all takes up space.

When was the last time a flipper was released by a major studio? Not since the bad old days of 1999 IIRC

10. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the R2 disks I've bought (and most of those are German disks) have had English, French, Spanish, Italian language tracks.
    That and the three gazillion language subtitles must take up a lot of space....