pointless jap superbits!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by evilash, Dec 9, 2003.

1. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    i am all for films that will benefit from superbit treatment, but it seems that they are just releasing anything now and for £30+! the reason i bring it up is that i see they have released a few good men, easy rider, fast and the furious (already had dts and looked damned good already) and close encounters (which again was already released in dts) all now jap superbit at inflated prices!!!! are they really worth £30? it seems they are blatantly trying to rip people off.... i know the bottom line is if you dont think theyre worth it dont buy em, but i just think that it's about time they stopped taking the p***!

well thats my rant over with. i am just waiting for random hearts jap superbit. if i turn it up loud enough it might keep me awake till the end!?!!?!

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Everything in Japan is expensive to import. It's not so expensive for people living in Japan, for which the DVD's are intended.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    cyber is correct, although I do agree that the "superbit" banner is really a load of crap (in many cases). Pure marketing, with few exceptions to the rule imho...

4. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

i take it that everyone in japan speaks english then and that english mixed in dts is essential to them....

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just what are you saying? The Japanese make DVD's specifically to export? Nonsense. Most people in Japan speak a little english, and prefer films in the original language. They can always put Japanese subtitles on.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I watch few foreign-language films but when I do I too prefer the original dialogue as opposed to pitiful dubbing .. wonder how many people DO prefer dubbing over subbing?

7. evilash

evilash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    cybersoga
    my point is when i watch a foriegn film i will always watch in original language but i spend most of the time reading the subtitles which i pay more attention to than the quality of the sound in say cantonese...

hell i speak a little french, german and urdu it doesnt count for s*** when i'm watching a foriegn film.....

sound to me is not the most important aspect when watching a foriegn film, but accurate subtitles are...

not specifically to export but i'm pretty sure they're not dumb enough to overlook the popularity of jap superbits overseas. you just have to look around these forums to see people discussing various jap superbit releases (i'm just as bad) ....

at the end of the day, i'm for jap superbits. i've got ronin and transporter with terminator dts hopefully winging it's way soon, i am just saying they seem to be releasing a few pointless superbits and at a time when more and more people on these forums seem to be investing in them...

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  9. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    What about all those people that imported the Jap Pirates of the Carribean because of it's DTS soundtrack only to find the US and UK version was also in DTS at a much lower price?

10. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    £30 isn't that expensive for a DVD in Japan, most of them are 4700yen (£25) + 5% tax. Discounts from RRP aren't that common either :(

On the other hand, I did buy a Juno Reactor CD from Japan and, even after shipping, it was cheaper than the same CD in the UK!

11. maggi

maggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the DTS sound on the jap version is DTS-ES Discreet.
    others are DTS_ES Matrixed.

12. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Well worth being double in price then! :devil:

13. maggi

maggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The few japanese dvd´s i own,the quality of them is much higher
    both in audio and video.
    So in my opinion they are worth it.:laugh:

14. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    In my opinion they are not worth it at being over double the price of the R1 version!
    I bought Pirates for a little over £12 from DVDSoon. With the saving I made I ordered Underworld as well! :smoke:

That's two DVDs for the price (and possibly less) than your one DVD! :D

It's rational thinking like this that I have close to 600 DVDs in my collection! :cool:

15. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'm paying 3040 yen for my R2 POTR which is £16.. not sure where you are getting double from.. though those sort of prices are to be expected if you buy from movietyme etc as they will have had to pay import/VAT anyhow.

I have a 6 disc order in with amazon.co.jp which inc shipping will cost £108 which is £18 a disc.. not as cheap as the R1/R2 over here.. but not much extra for what are usually better quality (in terms of sound/picture) but also better packaging which makes for a collectible edition :)

Matt

16. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone who fancies a swap i'm willing to swap Miss Congeniality (( hate to part with it )) for either Fight Club DTS or Armageddon DTS edition, might even swap my prized copy of Captain Corelli's Mandolin.