1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pointers to recording dvd and cd (legit)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by slingshot, Oct 26, 2004.

1. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    OK I'm just getting a modded xbox and I want to store some of my own music and movies on it, jukebox type thing when I'm too drunk to operate the HiFi.

Can someone give me some pointers to software/codecs (preferably free) that will allow me to rip stuff to my hard disc. Disc space isn't an issue so I'd prefer lossless compression.

Cheers

Slingshot

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've got no chance of being competent enough to rip DVD's, I can't even post in the correct forum.

Could a nice friendly mod please move this to Computers and HC PC's please ?

Cheers

Slingshot

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep :).

4. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard on a forum somewhere that you can use dbpower amp music converter to rip cd into mp3's.
    and for DVD's you can use dvd shrink to rip and author the disks and then use nero to cut them.

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm

btu of course i do not condown any ilegal behaviour that may ocur out of this posting ;o)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I use 'Exact Audio Copy (EAC)' to rip all my CD's to my PC. It is said to be about the best quality ripping software with high levels of error correction.
    This rips as uncompressed .WAV files or can have an encoder to compress to MP3 etc added. I use 'LAME' to convert the files to VBR MP3 which is very good quality.

Mark.

6. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    MArk is on the ball, EAC followed by lame on 320 KBPS VBR (varibale bit rate) is an extremely high quality, and free way to make backups.

if you wish to retain all the CD info then Monkey audio can rip the CD and compress them to 50% their size with NON lossy compression - thoguh i dont know how the xbox will handle mp3's / ma files you may just have to use EAC and use the uncompressed .wav files.

DVD backups, DVD shrink is a great program i use.

Stu