1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Point Pleasant ??

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Ian182, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Another TV thread that Pooch might be able to answer :D

Saw a trailer on E4 for a new series called Point Pleasant that looked quite interesting..........its also been mentionned in SFX, which is normally a surefire sign that I'll end up watching it :)

Anyone know any more about it, or when it starts ?

Also, whilst we're all asking for schedule info.............series 4 of Alias anyone ?

Ta !

Ian.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Ian,

I'll certainly try to give you the info you wanted... :thumbsup: Here's what I've found so far...

Point Pleasant – a drama from former Buffy the Vampire Slayer executive producer Marti Noxon and 20th Century Fox Television – the description of the project given as solely having "a supernatural series…[that] will focus on a beachside community that is turned upside down when a mysterious girl washes ashore."

The series' protagonist is Christina Nickson, a 17-year-old described as "angelic, mysterious, very bright and very intense." While her wealthy father lives in New York City, she has been shuffled off to boarding school for most of her life, dubbing herself a "Park Avenue Orphan."

During a school cruise, the ship sinks and Christina is rescued off shore of the New Jersey town of Point Pleasant. She befriends her savior, a young lifeguard – with whom she shares an attraction – and ends up staying with the Kramers, a local doctor's family with whom she forms an unusual bond. Her presence begins to have a noticeable effect on the townsfolk, in particular the two women of the Kramer family. However, the police captain and Kramer patriarch, Ben, are more suspicious of Christina, perhaps even a bit threatened by her. She possesses a duality that seems hard to reconcile: She's at once dangerous and saintly.

Indeed, Christina herself has begun to notice the changes within her, and is frightened by them. It seems that sometimes when she gets upset, unfortunate events happen that involve the people who trouble her. She also is determined to find her mother, whom she never knew. As she spends more time in Point Pleasant, Christina begins to uncover more clues about her mother, and at the same time, becomes more aware of her father's intent to keep her from that mission.

There are only 13 episodes in Season 1, (all one-hour each), and as the show hasn't even started airing in the USA (until 19th Jan), the chances of E4 airing it anytime soon, are slim. It might be something we'll get to see in the UK, in a few months time. I'm quite surprised that the BBC didn't look into this, bearing in mind "Buffy" did so well for them!

As for "Alias: Season 4", I can't see Sky going back to this show, but Bravo may well air it, but it probably won't be until much later this year. Five are unlikely to bother buying the rights, simply because Season 2 never did that well, and Season 3 (which only just started last week, I think), has been shoved into a late-night, post-Midnight slot on Monday nights - just like "Angel". I think it will die a silent death, with minimal viewers, simply because it's not the kind of show you can simply get on the band-wagon with. You need to have seen it right from the beginning of Season 1. And to make matters worse, Season 3 didn't get great ratings or reviews from the "Alias" fans. I also believe that for Season 4, JJ Abrams has taken a back-seat with the show. This could well spell disaster for both US and UK fans. And it'll almost certainly kill the ratings. I doubt there will be a Season 5 somehow.

Hope that answers your questions.

Pooch
    (Actually, quite a clever man! :smashin: )

3. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,413
    Isn't Point Pleasant in The Mothman Prophecies?

4. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Cheers Pooch - you're the man :thumbsup:

5. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hi,

For anyone who's interested, this starts on E4 next Wedsnesday at 9pm.

Sounds promising from Pooch's synopsis, so I'll be giving it a go :)

Ian.

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    This looks like a great series, a bit too much teen bikini shots though.
    Outstanding photography in the first 2 episodes, picture quality is also high
    So many of these series cut corners on filming (like Regenesis)

7. WYSIWYG-UK

WYSIWYG-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I too am a big fan of The Mothman Prophecies, and thought both the film, and the book on which it was based (by John Keel I think) were excellent.
    I'll have a look at those links, as the legend behind it fascinates me.

Ian.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Certainly going to watch this show, only a couple of weeks behind the US screening so no need to "aquire" it by other means:)

10. thirst

thirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought J J Abrams was supposed to be taking a more hands-on interest in Alias during season 4 after the abysmal season 3? I hope that you are wrong Pooch because I was hoping things were going to get better during season 4, not worse.

How is Alias season 4 doing in the US ratings?