• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Point Break

zenza

Saw the bluray of this last night and tbh was disappointed at the PQ.

I think this is one film that deserves a better effort on bluray, not sure if the UK version will have a better transfer but the US disc left me thinking that it was barely better than the dvd.:thumbsdow

Anyone else seen the bluray and disappointed with the transfer?

Also, the scene where they jump out the plane, do they really do that or was it stunt man. The scene where Keanu Reeves jumps out the plane wihout a chute, surely he couldn't have done that?:eek:

Love the last shots though with Bodie on the huge wave and Johnny Yutah throwing away his badge...classic stuff and glad I rewatched this great film.:thumbsup:

This will be more to do with the films age (nearly 20yo) and style of shooting than anything else.
It was still a fair improvement over SD, and i was glad it wasn't using enhancements.
Sound was nice.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Zenza - I get the impression that you have only started watching films properly relatively recently?

Anyway...there is a thread for this sort of thing. If you care to look. If you post up a new thread for every blu-ray youve watched you might start annoying people...

Just a bit of advice! :)

zenza

This will be more to do with the films age (nearly 20yo) and style of shooting than anything else.
It was still a fair improvement over SD, and i was glad it wasn't using enhancements.
Sound was nice.

I guess that may be something to do with it but I have seen other films from the same era like Do The Right Thing and they looked very crisp and detailed.

Maybe it was the way she shot it and intended it to look.

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
There was a tribute programme on tv recently about Swayze and I picked on up on him saying he did jump out of the plane and do those stunts himself ... as it was a day when the insuranve company wasn't there !

I then watched the movie just last week as on tv and you can tell it clearly is him doing it himself.

It did not look like Keanu jumped out though and his scenes looked like a double.

Oldpainless

They just threw a plank of wood out the plane to double for Keanu...

:laugh:

I've got this and yes it's not reference quality but an improvement over the DVD version for picture and sound.

Features are pretty good too and explain how Swayze had to pursuade the insurance company for him to do the jump out of the plane. So yes it's definately him.

zenza

Well gotta hand it to Swayze if he did thos jumps himself....you needs balls to do that.:thumbsup:

Not sure how Reeves managed to get a double as he is clearly shown as floating with them.:confused:

Steve McQueef

Distinguished Member
They cheat for the closeup stuff with Keanu. Check out Drop Zone with Wesley Snipes, it shows you the equipment that skydivers use to train on.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom