Point Break 2 gets a director

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
pointbreakup4.jpg

After 16 years, Jan de Bont, of Speed and Twister, has been signed to direct the sequel to Kathryn Bigelow's 1991 high octane original (above). The original screenwriter, W. Peter Iliff is on writing duties.

The film takes place 20 years after the disappearance of the surfer Bodhi, played by Patrick Swayze in the original. Shooting will soon in Singapore and Southeast Asia. We all know about Swayze's health problems, so unclear if he will play any part, but im sure a cameo is possible, don't worry about the ending of the original, looks like Bodhi might have survived the wave. There is no news if Keanu 'Johnny Utah' Reeves will be back, is there any point in making it without him? A few months ago Reeves was quoted as saying that he sees no sequels in his future, so lookout for a new leading FBI agent.

Point Break's Ex-Presidents were parodied in the 2005 film Domino with a group of thieves dressed as and known as The First Ladies.

Johnnie To's 'Fulltime Killer' also references Point Break when one of the main characters wears a Clinton mask in a video store. The girl comments on it and the movie Point Break (in which the movie poster is in the background) and wonders who is under the mask. Later in the movie the main character carries out an assassination, while wearing the mask.

Plot details; may change

When Billy Dalton, military special ops and star surfer, is disqualified from the pro-surfing tour, he takes off for the coast of Bali looking for the perfect wave. While there he's recruited by a private security force who are trying to find a gang known as The Bush Administration, surfing outlaws and modern day pirates who work like "The Ex-Presidents," a bank robbing crew from Malibu twenty years ago.

1991 Original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-Fso2EZq8&feature=related

Just been reading about this on AICN.

No keanu and no swayze? Oh dear then ill give this one a miss.
I liked the original as well!

Just been reading about this on AICN.

No keanu and no swayze? Oh dear then ill give this one a miss.
I liked the original as well!

Could turn out to be another Speed 2 :(

Why dig this classic movie out of the cupboard now and do a remake. They must really be running out of ideas.

Anyway I hope its good. :)

ex special forces pro surf boarder........ jesus!!!!!:rolleyes:

meets Rambo or John Matrix for the ex special forces side of things....:rotfl:

Surfs on water, walks on water and can take on a whole army with a cross bow and a Hawaiian shirt. :D

I take it no one is expecting great things from Point Break 2?

Whats is it with all the strange sequals recently ? first donnie darko getting an totally uncalled for sequal , now this ........ Jan De Bont doesn't exactly fill me full of conifdence for this ..... I still can't believe they are doing a sequal to Point Break , one of my all time fav bad( good bad) movies :thumbsup:

Whats is it with all the strange sequals recently ? first donnie darko getting an totally uncalled for sequal , now this ........ Jan De Bont doesn't exactly fill me full of conifdence for this ..... I still can't believe they are doing a sequal to Point Break , one of my all time fav bad( good bad) movies :thumbsup:

Why dont people look at sequels from the positive point off view, as its your fav good/bad movie its then a continuation of the story, you get to see old and new characters back, if its good then you'll be happy, if its a failure you still have the original to hang on to, the studio makes some money, or loses millions compared to your cinema ticket.

I dont mind sequels, they dont affect me, my neck is not on the line ;)

Maybe they can bring Gary Busey back from the grave. There should be some sort of Trades Description infringement when you call something a sequel despite it having nothing to do with the original film.

I'd actually buy a Reeves, maverick FBI agent chasing demons from his past, all dark and moody with some wavework chucked in. Go high octane but not CGI, Die Hard 4's major failing.

.... oh, and bring back Lori Petty taking names and kicking a$$e$.

Loved the original but this isn't looking good. I had my hopes up for all of 30 seconds.

In better news, Point Break is due for BluRay release 1st July.

:clap:

Why dont people look at sequels from the positive point off view, as its your fav good/bad movie its then a continuation of the story, you get to see old and new characters back, if its good then you'll be happy, if its a failure you still have the original to hang on to, the studio makes some money, or loses millions compared to your cinema ticket.

Yeah i agree with you mate , generally i enjoy a sequel but the two that i mention (Donnie Darko/Point Break) both smell of desperation , donnie in particular!!!! totally pointless sequel with no involvement by any of the creative team behind the origional bar two exceptions , donnies sister in the darko sequel and the writer of point break.

The more i think about the point break sequel i'm intrested but worried about a direct to dvd disaster. A bit cynical about sequels , prequals , reimgaging blah blah blah , just come up with something new ......... please :lease:

Yeah i agree with you mate , generally i enjoy a sequel but the two that i mention (Donnie Darko/Point Break) both smell of desperation , donnie in particular!!!! totally pointless sequel with no involvement by any of the creative team behind the origional bar two exceptions , donnies sister in the darko sequel and the writer of point break.

The more i think about the point break sequel i'm intrested but worried about a direct to dvd disaster. A bit cynical about sequels , prequals , reimgaging blah blah blah ,
just come up with something new ......... please :lease:

Not alot of talent in the writers guild then, going on strike and all that :rotfl:

I enjoy a good sequel as well but it's hard to be positive when the sequel doesn't feature the original stars, original director, original writer and the replacements don't fill you with hope. A sequel certainly needs to carry the same feeling from the previous movies which is all too often lost in favour of reaching a larger audience.

Personally that's why I love sci-fi TV series because you get the story continuation with the actors playing the roles for much longer, mostly the same creative crew working behind the scenes and unlike a movie if an episode doesn't work there's always next week. Whereas a bad movie generally sinks the franchise.

There should be some sort of Trades Description infringement when you call something a sequel despite it having nothing to do with the original film.

Completely agree. If it features none of the main cast then surely it's just a cash in on the good reputation of the original?

Completely agree. If it features none of the main cast then surely it's just a cash in on the good reputation of the original?

cash? - thats the reason they make films, run by busine$$ men.

But they are delusional to think its going to make alot of money without any of the original cast, thats when you should ask why, from a financial point of view.

Agreed. I like sequels and as you say we always have the original if they are pants.

The only time I dislike a sequel is when no effort is made at all. ie Dusk Till Dawn 2 & 3. These types of sequels are nothing like the original quality wise and are just obvious cash ins and are normally really poorly done.

The reason why these types of sequels annoy me is that they are normally a waste of a really good opportunity for a good follow up movie. Which IMO is a shame.

Hostel 2 was a straight to video affair and I really enjoyed it as it did carry on the story and gave me more of what I liked so much in the first Hostel. Even though it wasnt as good as the first Hostel, I really enjoyed watching it and have actually seen it twice already.

:)

Will this end up like Road House 2?

Sometimes you can never go back .....

Will this end up like Road House 2?

Sometimes you can never go back .....

they must have money to burn if its going to be of that quality, or lack off.

- Surely have the original cast - make millions.
- Have a new cast - likely flop, got to have hellva script to pull it off otherwise.

Love PB, sure it's no oscar ridden classic but I don't expect much and I am happy when I watch it.

Who knows what this will be like, only time will tell.

Liam

PB2 in stores near you soon another in the "Kick Ass Flicks" range LOL

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom