Point and Shoot Camera please

nyck

I was replacing my Minolta E323 (excellent camera) with a Nikon s220 ,the biggest mistake i've made ,99% of the photo were blurred any way thats gone back.

So i'm still after another easy to use camera
I dont mind selecting night mode/macro etc but dont want to be select iso's etc

I've read lots of good things about the Pansonic Lumix cameras

DMC-FS42 Argos clearance £67
DMC-FX40 Argos clearance £124
DMC-FS10 Play.com £120
or
Canon A480 Argos £59.99

There is one other ,Everyone seems to rave about it ,but i'm worried theres to many settings and options iwe would have to set up for each different photo enviroment.
FUJI Finepix F200exr New £148 Fuji refurb £112

I am basically looking a good Auto point and shoot thats not to big in size

thanks nyck

shotokan101

Banned
Nyck - don't worry about the vast number of settings available on the F200EXR - like any P&S it has a full auto that once you've configured a couple of settings should be fine - all the other options can be pretty much ignored if you want to but are still there if you wish to experiment a bit later.

Just like most DSLR's can be used in full auto if you like :)

Jim

weetsie

some people have the idea that more complex/manual/higher end cameras dont work well in auto but they are wrong :laugh:

its quite the opersite, the F200EXR compared to a smaller fully auto camera has a larger sensor which means better high iso which means the camera can get away with higher shutter speeds for any given light meaning less chance of blury photos. a larger sensor also means better dynamic range coupled with a more accurate meter there is much less chance of blown highlights or lack of shadow detail.

TL;DR: as long as it has an auto mode you dont need to worry about manual controls.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I don't agree with Jim here, I find the auto-iso mode appalling on the current Fujis which forces it to be manually set which is exactly what the OP didn't want to do. It quickly jumps itself up to 800 and 1600 even with the flash activated which produces pictures which look so smudged with massive amounts of NR they're like water colours.

Admittedly though it's tough to recommend any others, while the Fujis are particularly poor in this regard most compact cameras seem to suffer from over enthusiastic auto-iso controls.

John

shotokan101

Banned
I don't agree with Jim here, I find the auto-iso mode appalling on the current Fujis which forces it to be manually set which is exactly what the OP didn't want to do. It quickly jumps itself up to 800 and 1600 even with the flash activated which produces pictures which look so smudged with massive amounts of NR they're like water colours.

Admittedly though it's tough to recommend any others, while the Fujis are particularly poor in this regard most compact cameras seem to suffer from over enthusiastic auto-iso controls.

John

But John - I thought that you could limit the highest auto ISO setting it can use....

JIm

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
You can set the limit but that doesn't change the camera's behaviour which will still default to higher iso settings than may be needed particularly when a flash is involved. Also the lowest iso setting is 400 which I think is too high given the way the camera works, I'd rather be able to limit it to just 200 at times. After trying out the various modes I've found I'm just best sticking with manual iso.

John

shotokan101

Banned
You can set the limit but that doesn't change the camera's behaviour which will still default to higher iso settings than may be needed particularly when a flash is involved. Also the lowest iso setting is 400 which I think is too high given the way the camera works, I'd rather be able to limit it to just 200 at times. After trying out the various modes I've found I'm just best sticking with manual iso.

John

Thnaks John - must admit that's what I do with my existing Compact :)

Jim

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Thnaks John - must admit that's what I do with my existing Compact :)

Jim

To be fair to Fuji I think that's the best way to go with a lot of compacts, the most frequent complaint I see is too much noise and when they post sample shots it's because the camera has chosen a very high iso value.

nyck - I think the F200EXR is a good choice but you need to be prepared to set the iso manually, I don't think this is a big deal though as it's not difficult and well worth the effort. The FX40 is a fairly neat, well built little camera with an HD video mode if important although it's not as good as the Fuji in low light.

I see you posted in the Ixus 100 thread, I'm giving this camera to my Mum for her birthday on Thursday and one of her main 'must-haves' is good automatic functionality so if you've not got anything by then I'll let you know how that goes.

John

Last edited:

For a point and shoot try the Canon Ixus range

Brilliant photos just by switching on and pressing the button. The auto settings do the business

Try to buy one with a viewfinder, indispensable in bright sunlight

Slips in the pocket and produces pictures that can print up to A4 with no noise or softness

I've got Ixus 950 IS, 4 x zoom. Not the latest kid on the block but hard to better if you look at reviews of other makes

Compare cameras at Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
That's not really the case though as there's another topic on here at the moment complaining about the Canon Ixus settings, from what I've seen they're as bad as most rivals although their auto iso isn't as bad as the Fujis.

John

There is a detailed and useful review of high end point and shoot compact cameras in the August edition (yes, I know it's only June but it is out there) of PC Pro magazine which I found impartial and helpful at pointing out which to consider and which to avoid

Incidentally, regarding your first post, I would not consider a refurbished camera

HMHB

Distinguished Member
There's a group test of "travel zoom" cameras here which might be interesting.

shotokan101

Banned
There is a detailed and useful review of high end point and shoot compact cameras in the August edition (yes, I know it's only June but it is out there) of PC Pro magazine which I found impartial and helpful at pointing out which to consider and which to avoid

Incidentally, regarding your first post, I would not consider a refurbished camera

No real reason I can see to rule out a Manufacturer Refurbished Camera that comes with a full 12 months manfacturers waranty and is most likely simply a repackaged return which legally they cannot resell as new.

Especially when you can get a cracking little F200EXR for £120...

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom