Poe injector and or switch

drunkenjoiner

Ok guys here goes.
In my home I have a Virgin Superhub 3 router and to be fair get great wifi in all corners of my house.
Unfortunately that does not extend to my outside rear patio (router at front).
I have looked at internal extenders, home plugs and repeaters in the hope that these internally would get nearer to the patio and give me better wifi out there.

A friend suggested running a network cable from my router in the front, to an access point at the back would probably be better. If I am doing this I feel I may as well carry the Cat6 cable through and use an external access point mounted to the house wall. I must admit I have a very easy and discrete route to the rear for the cable.
For this I have located the below.

It says that no power source is supplied. Can I just use a poe injector to supply the power or do I need a switch or both?

Many thanks

mushii

Distinguished Member
airMAX is generally used for Point to Point connections outdoors, where you cant put a cable in. For that they work exceptionally well. You can flash their firmware to use them as a general WiFi access point but it is a lot of hassle. The Unifi on the other hand is designed as an outdoor wifi access point and is pretty much plug and play except for a little configuration.

drunkenjoiner

i would not recommend that LoCo if you just want wifi, its the wrong tool for the job. You will be better off with one of these Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M UniFi Mesh Outdoor WiFi 5 PoE Access Point (1200Mbps AC) and it has a POE injector included with it.
Hi mushii and thanks.
Yes I am looking just for external wifi. I hope you do not mind me asking (as I know nothing about networks) is the LoCo the wrong tool for the job and the one you recommend right please?.

I take it also with your reply that the injector will supply the power required via the cat6 cable?

Many thanks again
DJ

mushii

Distinguished Member
The Unifi that I linked is the correct tool for what you want. It does come with the correct POE injector to power it over your Cat6 cable. Just ensure that you connect the POE the correct way around.

Router ---> Patch cable ---->POE injector LAN socket / POE injector POE Socket ---->Cat6 cable ----> Unifi Access Point

drunkenjoiner

The Unifi that I linked is the correct tool for what you want. It does come with the correct POE injector to power it over your Cat6 cable. Just ensure that you connect the POE the correct way around.

Router ---> Patch cable ---->POE injector LAN socket / POE injector POE Socket ---->Cat6 cable ----> Unifi Access Point
Many thanks
Kind regards
DJ

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom