Podcast: Xbox Series X, PS5 & Samsung Projector Reviews, Film & TV News & Reviews and more...(11/11/20)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we look at the next-gen gaming consoles with Rik Henderson as he gives us his AV verdicts on the Xbox Series X and PS5. Plus, Steve reviews the Samsung LSP9T Ultra-Short-Throw 4K Laser Projector and Ed looks at the JBL HDI 1600 speakers. We also have the album of the week as well as film and TV reviews and news from Tom.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - Welcome
00:04:03 - Introducing Rik Henderson. Veteran AV journalist
00:04:55 - Rik's memories of Games Master and Games World
00:07:50 - What's best? Standing up or lying down?
00:09:34 - What have you been up to, Ed? Heat shields
00:12:04 - What have you been up to, Mark? Pointing
00:13:30 - What have you bgeen up to, Tom? Xmas jumpers
00:16:24 - What have you been up to, Steve? US Election. The Vow
00:18:47 - What have you been up to, Phil? Missing Mustang
00:22:10 - Competitions
00:25:55 - JBL HDI-1600 hi-fi speaker review
00:31:35 - Samsung LSP9T short throw projector review
00:39:29 - Xbox Series X review
00:57:17 - PS5 review
01:06:09 - Which to get? PS5 or Xbox Series X?
01:13:38 - Dual Sense controller discussion
01:18:27 - Ed's album of the week. Tunng Presents...DEAD CLUB
01:21:00 - King of New York Blu-ray movie review
01:22:40 - The Liberator (Netflix) TV show review
01:29:00 - Reflections on being a veteran gamer
01:31:17 - Tenet is coming out on Blu-ray
01:32:02 - Remember HD-DVD? Remember CES?
01:34:40 - TV recommendations. Not Discovery. Taskmaster. NFL. WWE. Ozark
01:44:53 - The Right Stuff (Disney+)
01:47:10 - Children of Dune Blu-ray
01:50:28 - Tom's thumbs
01:51:34 - Podcast competition
01:52:25 - Thanks and goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley, Rik Henderson, Mark Botwright and Tom Davies.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Links to the audio versions will appear once the podcast has been live-streamed on Wednesday the 11th.

Direct Link

The exclusive competition for podcast listeners: Win a copy of Tremors: Shrieker Island on Blu-ray We'll ask the competition question in the podcast. Select your answer in the competition here: Competitions

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been listening for years but never got in touch. Thanks for keeping these podcasts going and your efforts to produce them. I'm not sure if this is where to post questions for you on the podcast but I have two for you.

1) Please explain the difference between the IMAX aspect ratio (1.43:1) and what used to be the 4:3 pre-widescreen TV aspect ratio? Surely they are the same thing and if so have we gone backwards with our screen sizes? Or is this ratio only suitable for cinemas where the screens are big enough?

2) Could you provide some recommendations to upgrade my AV room currently using: Pioneer Kuro 50" TV, Yamaha RX-A1030, and Monitor Audio Silver 7.1 speaker system (2013). I'm after a 4K native projector and screen that can come down in front of the TV for movies and potentially an upgrade to Dolby Atmos amp and ceiling speakers. Room size is roughly 5x3m with blackout blinds. Budget is £5-8K if upgrading everything including existing speakers.

Nooooooooo!!! I'm so sad I missed this live, I was a contestant on Games World in 1994!! Didn't get to play against Rik though :(

Excellent podcast. Very good and helpful insights on both consoles. I , like Mark ,really like the monolith look of the XBOX, but being a Playstation guy, i'll go for the PS5 eventually. :thumbsup:

Please explain the difference between the IMAX aspect ratio (1.43:1) and what used to be the 4:3 pre-widescreen TV aspect ratio? Surely they are the same thing and if so have we gone backwards with our screen sizes? Or is this ratio only suitable for cinemas where the screens are big enough?
If you shoot a film or parts of a film using large-format IMAX film stock, the aspect ratio is 1.43:1. However the only cinemas where you can get the full benefit of the 1.43:1 image is in an IMAX cinema that actually shows physical IMAX film. Most IMAX cinemas in the UK are digital and use an aspect ratio of 1.90:1 for IMAX scenes, and obviously if you're watching the film anywhere else, you won't get the same immersive experience that you would on a massive 1.43:1 IMAX screen.

Thank you for a very insightful and fascinating discussion. Interesting to hear about how Gaming technologies perform for AV Enthusiasts.
Surprised Sony would not invest in DV considering they have already done the hard work creating the Playstation. I think overall the best way to watch Streaming APPS is usually via TV’s Native Apps assuming the App is available fully loaded [DV/ATMOS].

Many thanks Steve for advice on getting a Dog to guard against my scary Mother in Law. Hopefully this dog will do - in the photo below;
DD14DCBE-E876-49CB-B432-2F0C3BB46418.jpeg

Thank you for a very insightful and fascinating discussion. Interesting to hear about how Gaming technologies perform for AV Enthusiasts.
Surprised Sony would not invest in DV considering they have already done the hard work creating the Playstation. I think overall the best way to watch Streaming APPS is usually via TV’s Native Apps assuming the App is available fully loaded [DV/ATMOS].

Many thanks Steve for advice on getting a Dog to guard against my scary Mother in Law. Hopefully this dog will do - in the photo below;
View attachment 1400178

I was pretty disheartened to hear that the PS5 wasn't going to be all that great of a media centre. I think the best way of streaming content remains the Nvidia Shield.

Great to have Rik on the show, good breakdown of the two consoles. Very big miss from Sony not having DV or Atmos on the PS5. Hopefully they’ll add it to the facelift models (which is when I’ll be likely to get one).

Phil, my brother-in-law has a grey Mustang, looks good but I’d rather have something a bit flashier.
A0550845-E399-4C7D-A6A1-0D0BDE724B20.jpeg

Thanks for another fun Podcast guys. Only just got to it.

Excellent podcasts gents and whilst I'm not a gamer, I really enjoyed the discussion on the games consoles.
Rik Henderson is a good addition to the team with an impressive CV and now has another follower on Twitter.

Great to have Rik on the show, good breakdown of the two consoles. Very big miss from Sony not having DV or Atmos on the PS5. Hopefully they’ll add it to the facelift models (which is when I’ll be likely to get one).

Phil, my brother-in-law has a grey Mustang, looks good but I’d rather have something a bit flashier.View attachment 1400241
The grey I was talking about is this - Fighter Jet Grey
Ford-Mustang_Mach_1_EU-Version-2021-1600-08.jpg

The grey I was talking about is this - Fighter Jet Grey
View attachment 1400417
There is Grey, & then there is Grey, & that is definitely the latter. :thumbsup:

(If anybody doesn't see it, I will happily put them in touch with my wife, who will explain at length about all the different "Blacks" there are for Clothes, as an example :))

Fantastic episode, great that you really went in depth with the two new consoles. I still have the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 but didn’t get the One, am kinda thinking of the Series X but worried about the sheer size of the thing, and with no disc player in the Series S that’s not an option for me. The biggest take away for me was that there’s no DV on the 4K player at launch.

Thanks for yet another great podcast, and a huge thanks to @Rik Henderson for the detailed breakdown of the two competing options.

If you shoot a film or parts of a film using large-format IMAX film stock, the aspect ratio is 1.43:1. However the only cinemas where you can get the full benefit of the 1.43:1 image is in an IMAX cinema that actually shows physical IMAX film. Most IMAX cinemas in the UK are digital and use an aspect ratio of 1.90:1 for IMAX scenes, and obviously if you're watching the film anywhere else, you won't get the same immersive experience that you would on a massive 1.43:1 IMAX screen.

I'm assuming therefore that the first IMAX theatre in the UK which is in Bradford, which I went to many years ago, is true IMAX. I'm also assuming the one in central London (on the Waterloo roundabout) is also true IMAX. 🤔 By the way I believe the Bradford complex (unless things have changed) has a proper three strip projection Cinerama screen as well.

Last edited:
I'm assuming therefore that the first IMAX theatre in the UK which is in Bradford, which I went to many years ago, is true IMAX. I'm also assuming the one in central London (on the Waterloo roundabout) is also true IMAX. 🤔 By the way I believe the Bradford complex (unless things have changed) has a proper three strip projection Cinerama screen as well.
The Bradford and Waterloo IMAX cinemas can definitely project physical IMAX film stock, but I don't think there are many in the UK.

The Bradford and Waterloo IMAX cinemas can definitely project physical IMAX film stock, but I don't think there are many in the UK.

I thought that was the case, thanks for replying. LT.👍

What a great podcast. @Rik Henderson was a great inclusion. Saw the "do you even have the console" post lol. Clearly they had no idea who Rik was.

Gamesmaster was bloody amazing (Until Dexter Fletcher took over.) At least for its time. Not why it stuck in my head but always remember the Vitrua Cop show where Martin Mathers (thanks YouTube) had one credit to play through the game. I loved that game.

Definitely getting both consoles at some point, but waiting till more games are designed for them. In no rush, though this is the first time just about ever I haven't bought a Sony/MS launch console. So I think they are early, but also this year has knackered everything. Think Gampass is something I'm going to sign up for. If the estimated price of the new games are true, then its worth it imo.

Centre masking a Nolan Imax film still wont give the same aspect ratio as the 2.35:1 version that would have been shown in Non IMAX cinemas..

327A5C26-085B-408A-8898-AFFDE4D3106E_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the iTunes version of Dunkirk overlaid against the Blu Ray version of the film which is 1.78:1 for the majority of the film.

The iTunes 2,35:1 version is not just a 'centre masked' version of the IMAX image its reframed for 2.35:1.....

Steve’s has stated on the forums and in the podcast several times before that centre masking gives the same version seen in non imax cinemas. Thats wrong and rather misleading and just creates a zoomed in version that neither shows the filmmakers intended IMAX image or the reframed 2.35:1 image. Rather like someone using the zoom button on their TV to get rid of the black bars.

Last edited:
Centre masking a Nolan Imax film still wont give the same aspect ratio as the 2.35:1 version that would have been shown in Non IMAX cinemas..

View attachment 1401899

This is the iTunes version of Dunkirk overlaid against the Blu Ray version of the film which is 1.78:1 for the majority of the film.

The iTunes version is not just a 'centre masked' version of the IMAX image its reframed for 2.35:1..... because it was framed for IMAX in the first place.
I know all that and frankly I don't care. Centre masking gets me in the ballpark, retains a more cinematic composition and eliminates the distracting aspect ratio changes. That's win-win in my home cinema, and Nolan can stuff IMAX up his pompous jacksie!

I know all that and frankly I don't care..... and Nolan can stuff IMAX up his pompous jacksie!

Agreed, I can't stand aspect ratio changes either, unfortunately one is stuck with it on some of the Blu-ray releases of his films..... Either way well said Count "W". :thumbsup:

From the web....... People asked (or arsed) What is Jacksie slang for?
Answer: British slang for the buttocks, bottom or anus, also called: jaxie, jaxy.

I never realised there were the other two spellings for one's rear. One lives and learns there you go. :lesson:

From the web....... People asked (or arsed) What is Jacksie slang for?
Answer: British slang for the buttocks, bottom or anus, also called: jaxie, jaxy.
I never realised there were the other two spellings for one's rear. One lives and learns there you go.
I didn't realise it derives from the Cockney rhyming slang "Jack and Danny" (you can take a wild guess at what this rhymes with).

I didn't realise it derives from the Cockney rhyming slang "Jack and Danny" (you can take a wild guess at what this rhymes with).
Er thingy? Childish snigger. 🤭

Hi everyone, would anyone have any idea why last weeks podcast (11/11/2020) is not on Tune In? I listen to it every Thursday/Friday and it wasn't there. Maybe some technical issue, but maybe someone has some idea...? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom