Podcast: Ultra Short Throw Laser Projectors & Helm AAAmp Headphone Amp Reviews & Best of the Month (28/04/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we have reviews of the VAVA VA-LT002 & BenQ V6050 Ultra Short Throw 4K Laser Projector and the Helm Audio DB12 THX AAAmp Inline Headphone Amplifier, plus the latest AV news and our picks for the best of the month.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Tom Davies, Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:29 - Welcome and catch up
00:14:10 - Competitions
00:21:40 - Hardware news
00:30:11 - Ultra short throw projectors introduction
00:31:47 - VAVA VA-LT002 and BenQ V6050 ultra short throw projector reviews
00:45:10 - Helm Audio DB12 AAAmp inline headphone amp review
00:51:05 - Ed's best album of the week plus vinyl and playlist of the month
01:00:40 - Best movies of the month
01:10:51 - Best Blu-ray of the month
01:28:00 - 93rd Academy Awards - Oscars roundup
01:41:00 - Q&A
01:43:00 - Podcast competition and coming soon

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday evening

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the podcast guys and for the heads up on Mare of Easttown, will give it a go tonight.

Thanks for another fun podcast, everyone! :)

I really like the idea of an Ultra Short Throw projector, but with a viewing distance of 2.5 - 3m would that be too close to for even their smaller projection sizes?

Happy anniversary :thumbsup:

Thanks gents - An honour listening to a podcast presented by a Guru!

1619701507092.png

@Steve Withers - I love Palm Springs too so created a list of Temporal Anomaly movies in case you find it helpful...
Groundhog Day
Map of Tiny Perfect Things
Palm Springs
Edge of Tomorrow
Source Code
Arq
Happy Death Day
Happy Death Day 2U
The Endless
Russian Doll (Netflix Season)

I really like the idea of an Ultra Short Throw projector, but with a viewing distance of 2.5 - 3m would that be too close to for even their smaller projection sizes?
No that would'nt be too close as i have an Epson EH-LS300 UST paired with a Fixed frame Sapphire 16/9 77" Diag Woven AT screen and sit just under 3m in my livingroom. Epson also have the EH-LS500 UST projector and both are LCD UST so zero rainbows. I'm sure the supported screen sizes for both models are from 61" up to 120" so they have the biggest supported range of all the UST projectors. THe LS300 accepts 4k but downscales to 1080p and accepts HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision, it treats Dolby VIsion as HDR. It also shows 24hz material as 24hz and not 60hz which most other UST projectors do, but to be honest the 1080p image is very good and i don't miss native 4k at all. The EH-LS500 doesn't downscale from 4k so might be a better option for you although it has a bit longer throw ratio than the rest. The ls300 has 3600 lumens and the ls500 has 4000 lumens. UST projectors are easy to set up as long as you get the screen and the projector level then you don't need to use the digital keystone adjustment. I'm super happy with the ls300 and have zero regrets coming from an LG65" C7 Oled. Totally surprised that AVForums haven't reviewed either the LS500 or the LS300 UST projectors to be honest as they are the only LCD UST projectors on the market.

Brian

Ed has discovered the next great frontier in Aromatic Audio, I think :D

Not only does the recording sound like you are there, you can smell the individual members of orchestra!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom