Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
In this special Podcast episode recorded on the 10th of February, we interview Arnaud Laborie - Founder and CEO of Trinnov, along with Arnaud Destinay, Benoit Munoz and Tom Garrett. We cover the history of the company, its R&D technologies and products. This is an in-depth discussion that covers all the aspects of Trinnov and its room optimisation technologies. As such we have chapters below if you want to focus on just one aspect or watch the entire show.

00:00:00 - History of Trinnov
00:20:40 - How did Trinnov develop consumer products?
00:25:44 - What is Trinnov's relationship with Dolby, DTS and Auro3D?
00:33:25 - Who makes up the team at Trinnov?
00:42:30 - What are Trinnov's industry & professional relationships?
00:46:30 - Trinnov room optimisation
01:12:55 - How easy is the Trinnov optimiser to use?
01:19:20 - About the Trinnov microphone
01:26:00 - What is Trinnov 3D remapping?
01:33:28 - Trinnov's white paper
01:38:16 - About the Altitude processors
01:43:45 - About Trinnov's DACs
01:45:45 - What audio formats do the Altitude processors support

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

dBrowne

Fantastic stuff. I own a Lyngdorf, but I love the way Trinnov consistently participate in webinars, inform and make themselves available to their customers, and aren't shy about revealing their roadmap for their products going forward. There's a lot to admire there.
I also appreciate how you both let Arnault (and Arnault) just get on with it, only occassionally nudging in the direction at the topics to be covered. I didn't feel there were any awkward lulls needing to be filled.
Anyway, thanks for this most excellent podcast.

Toon Army

Thanks folks for a fascinating edition. I wish more main stream commercial companies took a similar approach to building products that are built to last, can be upgraded and provide excellent support throughout. They have an impressive list of clients which is very telling and I like their use of the term ' room optimisation '.

Last edited:

THX1138UK

Excellent podcast! I really enjoy the in-depth stuff that focuses on one topic.
Fascinating insight into the company and their technologies. Very interesting to hear about how Trinnov work very closely with Dolby.

More like this please :)

Regards,
James.

xxGBHxx

If I only had £30k...

That was a very compelling presentation and you can hear their passion for their product and audio in everything they say. Staggeringly impressive hardware and software.

G

audiofidelity

If I only had £30k...

That was a very compelling presentation and you can hear their passion for their product and audio in everything they say. Staggeringly impressive hardware and software.

G
Its great to better understand where the AV industry is heading in the years ahead (including and perhaps more relevantly at more affordable /consumer levels) - presumably some of the technologies discussed and other visual capabilities like micro led could eventually become normal vs something mostly seen at high end shows! Wonder what an entry level AV setup in 2030 could look like compared to where it was in 2000,2010 and 2020!

THX1138UK

Very telling and insightful that Trinnov have written a public whitepaper to help the whole industry get the best results from immersive audio technologies and have not just kept the their findings to themselves.

Of course they'll have some 'secret source' for their own products, but sharing their research and knowledge with the wider industry to make things better for anyone is to be applauded.

Until now, I didn't know that much about Trinnov (as their processors are out of my budget), but now I understand how much research and development they do, and the passion they have for audio - I can clearly see why their products can command a premium price. They are obviously doing far more than (some) other marquee brands to justify the cost.

Regards,
James.

Replicant

Excellent Podcast and thanks for letting them say what they wanted with only the occasional steer, BBC interviewers need to take lessons :) Great to see the real passion and technical expertise behind this product, the only problem is I was waiting for the next Marantz or Yamaha to upgrade my AV8802 now I'm trying to work out how the hell I could finance one of these ;)

killiefan

Great podcast, just listened whilst out exercising.

Two comments from me.

First (and I found the Sony chap last year to be in the same camp, oddly reassuring given the different nature of the two companies) was the complete devotion to the philosophy and the passion exhibited. An absolute joy.

Second is the simple fact that if hi-fi wasn't rocket science before...and that's a comment from someone who studied orbital mechanics for a term at Uni (long, long time ago).

And one question.

Given how long it took Trinnov to move down market from Pro to Hi-End Consumer, when might they hit a price point we mere mortals might actually think we'd a chance at buying? Say around £10k (I know, still a lot of money) for an integrated? Never going to happen?

THX1138UK

And one question.

Given how long it took Trinnov to move down market from Pro to Hi-End Consumer, when might they hit a price point we mere mortals might actually think we'd a chance at buying? Say around £10k (I know, still a lot of money) for an integrated? Never going to happen?

I have no specific information about Trinnov. In general terms many companies have to fund expensive research and are virtually unprofitable for years (this is built into their business plan). If you have a very high-end offering, then a higher profit margin is usually possible, which allows you to payback your investors more quickly. Over time, economies of scale kick-in and you can afford to make less expensive products, but you can only take these to the market if you can achieve a much higher sales volume, as the profit margins are much reduced on mass-market products.

The dilemma is you don't want you very high-end (expensive) products to compete with you own lower priced products. Loud speaker manufacturers are able to isolate themselves from this problem to some degree my making their high-end cabinets and components more substantial / exotic, than their lower-end counter-parts. But it can be more difficult convincing people that a high-end (expensive) Integrated Processor, is that much better than it's cheaper cousin, as there is a perception that all the manufacturers are buying and using the same chipsets and solid state components.

While you don't want to compete with your own very high-end products, at the same time, you're more affordable products have to provide something significantly better than the established market leaders, (at competitive prices), otherwise people won't buy them. This is difficult to achieve.

I'm sure Trinnov are looking at the market all the time. If they are planning less expensive products, I suspect you won't hear anything until very shortly before the product launch. Licensing aspects of their IP to other manufacturers already in the more affordable market might be the solution.

Regards,
James.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom