Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV show & Movie News & Reviews (02/12/20)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we cover our Editor's Choice Awards for the best Projectors and TVs of 2020 over a number of categories. Plus, Ed gives us his music choice of the week and Cas rounds-up the movie & TV show news and reviews.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:20 - Welcome
00:14:35 - Competitions
00:19:04 - The Best TVs of 2020
00:48:15 - The Best Projectors of 2020
00:58:55 - Album of the week - Smashing Pumpkins - CYR
01:01:39 - RIP Dave Prowse (Darth Vader)
01:09:15 - Boss Level movie review
01:11:10 - Raised by Wolves TV show review
01:12:20 - Sky Q review
01:20:20 - Requiem for a Dream 4K Blu-ray review
01:24:16 - Eddy Murphy talk
01:26:04 - Blade 4K Blu-ray review
01:30:05 - Neutered bass on 4K Blu-rays discussion
01:38:44 - Star Trek Discovery crying count coverage
01:40:20 - What else is worth watching on TV
01:44:50 - Thanks and goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Ed Selley and Cas Harlow.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Links to the audio versions will appear once the podcast has been live-streamed on Wednesday the 2nd.

Direct Link

The exclusive competition for podcast listeners:
: Competitions

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

richardsim7

Distinguished Member
Speaking of Blade, Cas was right, the bass is pumpin' - even more so than the Blu-Ray

OBIoOXQ.jpg

Still has a 30Hz rolloff, but then the Blu-Ray does too so that's not really a problem here

ESBigsQ.jpg

But like I was saying, it's not all bad news when it comes to 4K Atmos remixes, Fury (2014) and Resident Evil (2002) both got increases in bass, especially around the 20Hz region, so there are some exceptions to the rule.
Black Hawk Down's bass remained almost identical to the Blu-Ray (as it should be!), including the massive 6Hz spike during the "Irene" scene, which with the right subs/transducers is quite an amazing experience

Last edited:

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks for another enjoyable Podcast. Did catch-up this afternoon, & as always the banter is one of my favourite bits.

Pogg

i agree with Phil. Allot of crying from Michael Burnham in Star Trek. Not very good impression in leadership role as she is a Commander. It’s like watching a rubbish Indian Bollywood Movie/Drama where crying is continuous. Boo hoo hoo.

here is crying compilation of Commander Burnham for Phil.

Last edited:

RMP888

Speaking of Blade, Cas was right, the bass is pumpin' - even more so than the Blu-Ray

OBIoOXQ.jpg

Still has a 30Hz rolloff, but then the Blu-Ray does too so that's not really a problem here

ESBigsQ.jpg

But like I was saying, it's not all bad news when it comes to 4K Atmos remixes, Fury (2014) and Resident Evil (2002) both got increases in bass, especially around the 20Hz region, so there are some exceptions to the rule.
Black Hawk Down's bass remained almost identical to the Blu-Ray (as it should be!), including the massive 6Hz spike during the "Irene" scene, which with the right subs/transducers is quite an amazing experience

Great charts, I would like to see this type of content added to reviews to provide some quantitative details to them.

Toon Army

Evinger

Distinguished Member
An item for next week's agenda re Warner Bros' plans for 2021.

Yep, I'm also intereted what the team think - I think the AMC / Universal agreement is fairer (17 Days in Theatres before the Movie is released to streaming).

ruffian2205

Steve, I do wish you would stop fat-shaming Tilly when the podcast gets around to the ‘we don’t like Discovery’ section. I think it’s great they use a plus-sized actress in such a positive role, too many kids growing up today with eating disorders because they’re bombarded with images of size zero actresses and models. i think Tilly is a very positive role model for young girls.

MrMrH

I took your advice and finally got caught up with The Mandolorian.
I have never had any trouble avoiding spoilers for shows, I even held off on most of Game of Thrones until just before the last season and then binged through the whole series pretty much back to back, I guess it depends on who you follow on Twitter and what links you click into (I did have to tell google to stop showing me the scores for the Rugby though).

Mandolorian is great, I do see a full end to end rewatch of Star Wars, Clone Wars, Rebels and those in my future, one my boy has a bit better attention span.

...That said it sums up the world perfectly when the big reveal came in Empire he just looked and me as asked “Is he telling the truth?”, at least he has a healthy dose of cynicism, which isn’t bad for 5.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom