Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we review the Sony XH95 LED LCD FALD TV along with MediaLight Flex Bias lighting and Klipsch The Fives powered loudspeakers. Plus, it's the end of the month so we cover Ed's playlist, album and vinyl favourites as well as the best 4K discs, movies and TV Shows for September 2020.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Tom Davies, Ed Selley and Steve Withers.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:27 - Important message from our sponsor Philips
00:00:53 - Welcome
00:05:37 - RIP What Hi-Fi?'s Andy Clough
00:08:05 - Ed's update
00:10:17 - Phil's update
00:14:35 - Tom's update
00:19:48 - Cas' update
00:23:39 - Steve's update
00:26:35 - Competitions
00:28:00 - Sony XH95 (X950) TV review
00:39:53 - Scenic Labs MediaLight Mk2 bias lighting strip review
00:53:32 - Klipsch The Fives active speaker review
00:58:10 - Q&A
01:04:15 - Ed's Vinyl, album and playlist of the month
01:07:07 - Blood and Money movie review
01:10:12 - Enola Holmes review
01:13:20 - Way Of The Gun review
01:15:10 - I'm Thinking of Ending Things review
01:18:40 - Ghost In The Shell UHD Blu-ray review
01:24:40 - Tehran (Apple+ TV series) review
01:26:42 - Lovecraft Country (Sky/NowTV TV series) review
01:30:30 - Top Gear is back
01:32:35 - Spitting Image is coming back
01:34:54 - Borat 2 is coming soon
01:36:15 - Podcast exclusive competition
01:37:20 - Thanks and goodbyes

The exclusive competition for podcast listeners: Win a Sony Blu-ray bundle (Venom and Close Encounters Of The Third Kind). We'll ask the competition question in the podcast. Select your answer in the competition here: Competitions

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the team's hard work during these trying times. :cool:

Last edited:
The direct link will not work until the podcast live stream finishes. It should be there by 10 pm on the evening of the podcast. This thread goes up early to remind people to watch the live stream.

Phil , now that the Sony XH9505 65" can be had for ÂŁ1499 or less how would you rate it against a Sony AG9 ,especially for HDR content ?

Thanks everyone. Another entertaining & informative Podcast.

Thank you all very much again for your time and effort.

The main thing I took away from this was the Bias lighting article (Media Light). I'm going to slap some light behind my 75" Sony before splashing out on the reviewed item and also look around in the general market place.

I've still not got round to watching any video casts.... until I looked at (AVForums Podcast: 30th September 2020) and then followed the inline links to different areas of the video which is a really nice feature.

Brill P/Cast as usual. Surprised no one mentioned "The Third Day" on Sky Atlantic. Spooky plot - nods to Kubrick and The Wicker Man. Some very interesting shallow DOF close-up manual focus photography, using some very expensive lenses, I'll wager. Love your comments on colour perception, too. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on people's colour blindness, particularly in men. ( I didn't realise I suffered, until very late in life, when I saw a colour chart in a magazine ! ) Could you discuss in next week's podcast, maybe ? My weekly must-watch. Big thanks, all.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the MediaLight and its accuracy. They're set to ~2.24 nits (which I believe is halfway between 0 and 100 nits, logarithms are wild) which I measured to have a dE of something like 0.2 (which confirms I made the right choice with the paint too :D )

Nu08czy.jpg

Nice to hear my trusty panasonic DX902 get a shout out...I still love mine...nearly 1200 nits, picture is still gorgeous.

keep rocking the pod guys, I enjoy listening to it while driving in the van

Another great podcast, keep up the good work guys.

Thank you all very much again for your time and effort.

The main thing I took away from this was the Bias lighting article (Media Light). I'm going to slap some light behind my 75" Sony before splashing out on the reviewed item and also look around in the general market place.

I've still not got round to watching any video casts.... until I looked at (AVForums Podcast: 30th September 2020) and then followed the inline links to different areas of the video which is a really nice feature.
Here's details of the bias light I fitted to my Sony TV: Sony XG9505 Owners and Discussion thread

I hope people are watching the live 12 hour "The Third Day" on Sky Arts at the mo. It's astonishing..I hope Jude Law survives. He is really going through the mill, as is the camera man. Just watched it all the way through. It got really dangerous at 7 hours or so.

Last edited:
Another enjoyable edition folks. Item for this week's agenda - Looks like Cineworld are closing until next year.

Not sure if I'm going mad but I can't find Phils review of the Sony XH95 on the website? He did said it would be uploaded by the Thursday didn't he?

Not sure if I'm going mad but I can't find Phils review of the Sony XH95 on the website? He did said it would be uploaded by the Thursday didn't he?
By the weekend I thought he said , but your correct it’s not up yet

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom