Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup (16/06/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week on the AVForums podcast, Phil gives us his thoughts on the new Sony A90J OLED TV that is currently in for testing and review. Steve has been looking at the madVR Envy Extreme video processor, while Ed has an exclusive review of the Sonus faber Lumina II speakers. Plus, Cas rounds up the latest movie and TV show news and reviews…

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Cas Harlow and Ed Selley.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:21 - Welcome
00:20:24 - Competitions
00:23:30 - Sonus Faber Lumina II speaker world exclusive review
00:30:11 - Sony A90J OLED mid-review thoughts
00:53:09 - madVR Envy Extreme video processor review
01:09:43 - Ed's album of the month
01:12:30 - RIP Ned Beatty
01:14:15 - The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard review
01:17:07 - In The Line Of Fire 4K Blu-ray review
01:19:41 - Movie & TV show recommendations and chat
01:37:30 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

Pogg

Sony has ruined the user experience by forcing multiple notification messages when you change picture mode or picture settings. You have to click multiple times to-get rid of it.

to make matters worse the energy notification even shows up if you are reducing brightness, which means less knowledgeable users might leave settings on higher brightness picture because of the onscreen Energy Usage warning.

BASICALLY IT IS EQUIVALENT TO HAVE A ‘EXTINCTION REBELLION’ SITTING IN YOUR LIVING ROOM COMPLAINING EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE PICTURE SETTINGS.

so don’t buy Sony is the answer. The OS was quite bad compared to LG webOS and Samsung TIZEN previously, but now it is a giant gap.

the next update will include similar noise pollution warnings every time you change volume up or down.

MrMrH

Very excited to hear what you think of the Sony @Phil Hinton - I'm 50-50 at this stage between the A80J/A90J (depending on the size I go for) and G1.

Interesting Games news (that I think came out of E3) is that Hades is coming to Xbox and PlayStation.
I've been waiting for this for a good while after hearing glowing reviews for it.
It's won loads of awards and even has an album complete with it's own Vinyl release.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Very excited to hear what you think of the Sony @Phil Hinton - I'm 50-50 at this stage between the A80J/A90J (depending on the size I go for) and G1.

Interesting Games news (that I think came out of E3) is that Hades is coming to Xbox and PlayStation.
I've been waiting for this for a good while after hearing glowing reviews for it.
It's won loads of awards and even has an album complete with it's own Vinyl release.
Best game I've played in ages. Genuinely.
I only have a Switch Lite so it's been small screen fun only for me with it. Cannot wait to pay money for it a second time to put it on my TV.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Great podcast guys, still watching as I type.

It’s almost hilarious that Sony have this EU energy warning, warning users of wasting energy with the end result having users clicking more and wasting more energy (electrical/battery/human)…

LicensedTaximan

Goodly poddy as usual guys, :smashin: and thanks for your sentiments by the way.

Some of the horror stories I have heard since my return to the fold from that thirteen month hiatus from those who are that much younger than I with cab repayments and mortgages etc, etc were heartbreaking. Being somewhat solipsistic thank heavens I now rent a cab having being an owner driver for several decades. All I needed to do was to return the taxi to the fleet owner last March (2020) so no actual cab expenses, and at least I was able to weather the storm due to my family and my situation. At one point this particular fleet owner had around three hundred taxis parked up in fields due to drivers returning their rented cabs. :thumbsdow

Work is slow but I can survive with that, plus all fleet owners are renting their cabs at lower amounts until things pick up. As with some other businesses full working levels will take a while to return back to normal. I consider myself to be fortunate and look at the glass being half full rather than half empty, others are not so fortunate. Never the less to be one income down isn't exactly fun and games.

Anyway I look forward to the next podcast. ;) Be safe. 😷

clnthl

Okay why are people making such a massive deal about a pop up notification. Yes it’s a bit annoying but it’s hardly a deal breaker. You’re not going to get rsi by having to click the okay button one more time

Jessica Noir

Anyone downloaded the podcast through Apple? Instead of the AVForums podcast, I'm getting something called Queerified. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but only realised it wasn't the usual gang when Forged in Fire and Phil's car wasn't brought up.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
using apple and its AVF as normal..

Jessica Noir

MrMrH

@Phil Hinton - did you ever watch the Fast & Furious series? F9 is just around the corner so it must be about time to give Cas his discs back.

I completely agree with the discussion on Clarkson’s Farm … it’s a great watch.

Toon Army

Thanks gents - Enjoyed Phil's preliminary review of the A90J and can't wait for the Panasonics to get a feel about what's available. The 0-60 analogy about nits is fair, but when you have a bright living room, it is a key aspect.

Toon Army

Thanks gents - Enjoyed Phil's preliminary review of the A90J and can't wait for the Panasonics to get a feel about what's available. The 0-60 analogy about nits is fair, but when you have a bright living room, it is a key aspect.
PS Apologies as I don't know why this posted twice.

Last edited:

Garioch

Distinguished Member
Just bought Waterloo based on Steve's review. Thanks a lot, looks like a cracking set (hadn't even heard of the film before now!).

Excellent poddy once again. Many thanks.

MrMrH

Just bought Waterloo based on Steve's review. Thanks a lot, looks like a cracking set (hadn't even heard of the film before now!).

Excellent poddy once again. Many thanks.
My copy just arrived this morning, great call out from the team … one day I’ll have to buy a BluRay player.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom