Podcast: Should you demo before buying AV Gear and TVs? Q Acoustics Active 200 review and more (24/03/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week with the new TV season approaching how do you demo before buying, especially in a pandemic? This also applies to other AV gear and Hi-Fi, so what are the available solutions? Plus, Ed reviews the Q Acoustics Active 200 speakers and we discuss episode one of The Falcon and the Winter Solider, while Cas rounds up the TV show and film reviews and news.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:30 - Welcome
00:04:05 - Competitions
00:08:00 - Should we demo kit before buying?
00:41:00 - Polk React Soundbar and Subwoofer review
00:48:00 - Q Acoustics Q Active 200 review
01:00:20 - Ed's album of the week
01:07:22 - Cats butthole cut
01:09:40 - Zack Snyder's Justice League Black and White version
01:22:30 - Disney+ releases
01:30:50 - Gattaca 4K Blu-ray review
01:38:18 - Moana 4K Blu-ray review
01:40:15 - What's on TV?
01:46:54 - Podcast competition

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Cas Harlow and Ed Selley

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday evening at 7pm.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

MrMrH

@Phil Hinton - speaking of Demoing gear, I just heard that Fry's Electronics over in the states has closed down. One more reason not to go to CES anytime soon.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
@Phil Hinton - speaking of Demoing gear, I just heard that Fry's Electronics over in the states has closed down. One more reason not to go to CES anytime soon.
Yeah, we mentioned it a few weeks ago when the news broke. It wasn't looking good the last time I was in there.

dts

Distinguished Member
Curry's/Pc world have been doing "Shop live" for over a year now...I started working for them in October last year as a Christmas temp...been kept on and was asked if I was interested in doing shop live when we went back into lockdown...its brilliant when you can show customers the products via a video call it going to be the new normal....ive even just appeared in the new shop live Easter tv advert.

linnasak

Regarding supporting dealers, better dealers give a combination of sharp pricing, service and response.
Also think you need to hear / see the stuff that stretches you financially, sometimes to spend more and keep longer is better value. You just need to build in the cost of spreading the payments.

kevin

steve sph

For me home testing is an absolute no-brainer - at least for the more important and expensive links in your AV food chain.
Amazes me that folks are quite happy to fork out the equivalent of a decent family car on something they've never heard based solely on reviews.
Any reputable dealer should understand the need to road test in your home environment before forking out a small fortune - personally I wouldn't use any retailer that didn't have a no-questions-asked returns policy, yet folks do simply to save a few quid.
What is it they say about marrying in haste and repenting at leisure?

jumpman 1972

This week with the new TV season approaching how do you demo before buying, especially in a pandemic? This also applies to other AV gear and Hi-Fi, so what are the available solutions? Plus, Ed reviews the Q Acoustics Active 200 speakers and we discuss episode one of The Falcon and the Winter Solider, while Cas rounds up the TV show and film reviews and news.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:30 - Welcome
00:04:05 - Competitions
00:08:00 - Should we demo kit before buying?
00:41:00 - Polk React Soundbar and Subwoofer review
00:48:00 - Q Acoustics Q Active 200 review
01:00:20 - Ed's album of the week
01:07:22 - Cats butthole cut
01:09:40 - Zack Snyder's Justice League Black and White version
01:22:30 - Disney+ releases
01:30:50 - Gattaca 4K Blu-ray review
01:38:18 - Moana 4K Blu-ray review
01:40:15 - What's on TV?
01:46:54 - Podcast competition

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers, Cas Harlow and Ed Selley

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday evening at 7pm.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.
Do you know when LG will be releasing their rumoured 42" OLED?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Do you know when LG will be releasing their rumoured 42" OLED?
Probably not this year. It was LG Display who announced they had developed that screen size, but LG Electronics have not included it in their 2021 line-up. They may announce something at IFA in early September, but more likely a new model for 2022 and announced at CES in Jan '22, if they are going to introduce it.

jumpman 1972

Probably not this year. It was LG Display who announced they had developed that screen size, but LG Electronics have not included it in their 2021 line-up. They may announce something at IFA in early September, but more likely a new model for 2022 and announced at CES in Jan '22, if they are going to introduce it.
Thanks, that's disappointing. I'm prepared to wait for it.

Toon Army

Thanks gents and happy 600th.

You can still hear the first ever podcast with Jason Bradbury and a young Phil Hinton on this link -

Totally agree with all the points made about buying new kit and also building up a relationship with a dealer. I definitely believe in doing my homework beforehand and your reviews are invaluable. I would agree that some sales reps in the stores that are usually located on retail parks do not know the products at time. I was so incensed once that I butted into a conversation between a rep and a customer, as he was trying to sell him an OLED that the customer was going to use in his conservatory!

Eddy555

Distinguished Member
I had been buying gear from my local dealer for years, I've had 6 TVs from them over the past 14 years, and they've always been superb in letting me demo my own material in the store, taking time to let me watch what I wanted (within reason as it's on the shop floor) and letting me change the settings to how I want. They were even good enough to let me swap out and exchange a TV I bought from them after a month as I was so unhappy with it. So I've always felt a sense of loyalty and wanted to support a local store. However over lockdown I did buy another TV, this time from Richer Sounds online and with no demo. Partly because the local store wasn't open, but also because Richer Sounds had a good offer on the TV in combo with a soundbar my other half wanted. It is unusual for me to buy it "blind" as it were, but I wanted to upgrade my screen size and read enough online (including AVF reviews) to feel confident to go for it.
When stores are open again I'd probably use the local store in the future, but lockdown did change my buying habit in this case.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom