Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we discuss Samsung's 2021 TV launch details from their 2nd March press event as well as a first look review of the QN95A Neo QLED TV model. We ask how lockdown has affected our equipment buying habits and Cas rounds-up the latest Film and TV Show news and reviews.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - Welcome and catchup
00:23:00 - Products purchased during lockdown
00:49:00 - Samsung launch event MicroLED TVs & more
01:08:35 - Ed's album of the week
01:11:00 - Entertainment news
01:28:18 - Cosmic Sin movie review
01:37:14 - TV recommendations
01:47:40 - Podcast competition

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Cas Harlow and Steve Withers

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Good one as usual, thanks guys. :smashin:

The MiniLed Samsungs sound promising and the pricing for the 4K models are lower than i expected (at least in Denmark where i live) , shame about Dolby Vision though, odd choise.

Regarding AV kit changes during Covid, i have bought a Sonos Sub for my bedroom Sonos system (Beam, Sub, 2 x Play 1) as i have spent more time watching stuff there than usual, due to everybody being at home home and we all have different series/movies we want to watch at the same time.

And i have put of buying an Oled tv, was going to buy a Sony A8, but now i will wait for the A90J to come down i price. So perhabs black friday or there abouts :)

Last edited:
Noce Podcast again Gents. Thanks!

Talking about smoking on planes, back in the 90's I was in South America quite a lot travelling between countries. On a couple of flights they also allowed cigar smoking, & the smoking area was right in the middle section of the plane. No escape! :D

Yeah same here on Apple podcasts. Goes for any avforums podcast not just most recent

I've asked Stuart to look into the issues with the audio-only file and hopefully, it will be fixed soon. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: It should now be fixed

Last edited:
Thanks for getting it fixed so quickly. It was a long commute without the pod.

Nothing has affected my product buying purchases over the last year except for the lack of said products caused primarily by the Wuhan virus.

Last edited:
My fav. TV of the week was the final half hour or so of Marcella. Totally brilliant !

Unfortunately there were large parts of last year where earnings were massively affected by lockdown so the idea of upgrading parts of my AV system at a time like this seems a bit far-fetched, food and bills take priority right now 😂

Looking to the future lockdown will probably have a longer lasting effect as far as making me re-evaluate in what direction I channel any future spare cash, going digital rather than physical, can I live without product X and so on.

Is there any chance the reviewers at AVF can answer people’s questions whilst they still have the TV?

Last year I seem to remember the review was put up, people asked questions but the response was “haven’t got the TV anymore”

Be great if this is possible :D

Great chat as always gents.
re smoking on planes, in the 90’s was copilot on big jets and as soon as airborne Captain would light a pipe and flight engineer a cigar!
oh and as an aside, usually listen on audio after the cast, Steve has a tendency for his volume to vary quite a bit, can go very quiet.

I decided to upgrade my ageing Arcam Av9 processor to the Arcam AVR 550 to go with my Arcam P7 power amp, glad I did, Dirac alone has added another dimension to the sound.
I also changed my sub from SVS PB12 plus 2 to a Power Sound Audio s3600 which is dual 18” drivers opposed (sealed)
wowsers! Goes down to around 11hz in room, it’s a beast!
Then added Sky Q & an Nvidia shield pro to upgrade my streaming.
also bought some wireless senheisser headphones, I’ve never bought so much AV at one time as I did last year 👍🏽

Thanks gents - I enjoyed your Bruce Willis obituary!

Two series recommendations which we have recently enjoyed on the BBC iplayer-

The Investigation - True drama about the murder of a Danish journalist on a submarine. Ed will enjoy the sea search with his crash investigation hat on.

The Informer - The recruitment of a person by Counter Terrorism officers. The laters' acting is a bit wooden, but every episode has a WTF scene.

Hope this tv is better than last years q series have nothing but trouble with the 2 I bought .frame rate drops on certain programs made it unwatchable. Still in arguments with Samsung, who by the way have the worst aftercare I've every known !!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom