Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
With the podcast heading for a two week summer holiday, we review the Samsung HW-Q950T soundbar, find out that Filmmaker Mode is a must-have on all TVs, get the latest AV and Hi-Fi news and what are the best summer holiday based movies?

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:40 - Welcome
00:04:14 - Competitions
00:07:24 - Ed reports in
00:09:48 - Hi-Fi news - McIntosh C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier, Marantz 12 series and Lin Majik DSM digital streamer
00:14:00 - Steve reports in
00:16:05 - Disney have stopped doing back catalogue disc releases
00:17:50 - Mulan $30 rental on Disney Plus. Cinema vs streaming releases
00:33:00 - Ed used a Starship delivery robot for his groceries. Yes, delivery robots are a thing (video included)
00:39:15 - Steve reviewing the Samsung HW-Q950T soundbar
00:46:15 - Phil checks in. Filmmaker Mode discussion. Is it any good? Clue: Yes.
01:00:10 - Cas checks in. Pitch Black 4K Blu-ray in for review. Plus Bill & Ted
01:06:00 - Q&A
01:25:10 - Best holiday movies
01:35:20 - Thanks and goodbyes

This week's podcast competition: Win a Flash Gordon Blu-ray Bundle (3 to win). Listen for the question in this podcast, select the correct answer in the competition here: https://www.avforums.com/competitions... The competition is open to UK resident AVForums members and closes midnight Thursday 13th August 2020.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Steve Withers and Ed Selley.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Thanks gents and enjoy your holidays/breaks. I will watch this week's edition in a few days time so that the wait until the next edition is not so long. Look forward to the Filmmaker mode discussion as that is more important in my list of prerequisites than " full fat " hdmi 2.1.

Thanks Guys, it was another fun podcast - only nipped in at the end as the Garden was the place to be in this heat!
"Well, she was lying on a slug!" Had me crying! :rotfl:
Have a great, safe break!

Regarding the Starship delivery robot, I have three contenders:-
From Terrahawks, the overlander.
Fanderson David Sisson Overlander 2.jpg

From Captain Scarlet, the nearest would be the Mars Exploration Vehicle
1597052642668.png

Or, maybe, the Maximum Security Vehicle (This is the Dinky Toy version - the one in the series was actually a light grey)

dinky-toys-captain-scarlet-maximum_1_4087eacde413b9e92fb25ed41b5a32a4.jpg

Yes, I've loved Gerry Anderson Series since Four Feather Falls. I used to have all the Stingray, Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds & Captain Scarlet toys until someone broke into my Mums Loft & stole them all.
(Yep, & I would be very financially solvent!) 🤷‍♂️ :)

Thanks for another interesting podcast guys.

I have a small complaint though, regarding the videoconferencing format: Phil appears to be the only one in sync. Ed is out by a second or so, Cas is wayyyyy out, (around 3 or 4 seconds) and Steve by a couple of seconds.

It feels churlish to complain after all the effort you put into these, and it is greatly appreciated... but it does spoil the enjoyment a bit.

For the Starship delivery bot I just had a vision of Ed patting it and saying 'Well Done Bigtrack' a la the early 80's advert when the middle class kid successfully delivers an apple to his dad.

Bigtrack advert

I have a small complaint though, regarding the videoconferencing format: Phil appears to be the only one in sync. Ed is out by a second or so, Cas is wayyyyy out, (around 3 or 4 seconds) and Steve by a couple of seconds.

It feels churlish to complain after all the effort you put into these, and it is greatly appreciated... but it does spoil the enjoyment a bit.
We are aware of this issue and working on a solution. Thanks.

For the Starship delivery bot I just had a vision of Ed patting it and saying 'Well Done Bigtrack' a la the early 80's advert when the middle class kid successfully delivers an apple to his dad.

Bigtrack advert
I couldn't remember last night what it was called, but this was the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the videos of the Starship delivery bot.

Thanks again and enjoy your break. Let's hope Disney move on the Fox back catalogue. I also worry others might follow, the success of the Colombia set may influence things. There may be the possibility of licensing some titles to the likes of Arrow, Criterion etc.
The lack of any other 4K players being released, must also be a concern.

with the world the way it is, i would have thought every funding stream that Disney has at its disposal would be a good one including 4k back catalogue discs..they always seem to make bad decisions for the consumer. i wish they would at least license them out for someone else to do for them

I wonder what Walt Disney would think of Disney (The Cash Cow) now? As for the robot - looks a bit Sinclair C5 ish to me! Perhaps his vision has come true afterall

They are not out of syn, but just talk like that. A side effect of the job they all gracefully do.

They are not out of syn, but just talk like that. A side effect of the job they all gracefully do.
"A reviewer is never late, nor is he early, he speaks precisely when he means to"

Any of you guys know why the LG oled B7 series doesn’t have the Apple TV app yet has all the other major apps?
Great podcast

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom