Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week Phil gives us his final thoughts on the Panasonic JZ2000 and if it is worth the step up from the JZ1500 for the Dolby Atmos sound system. We also ask the question - Should you calibrate your TV or are they now so good out of the box you don’t need to do it? Plus, we round up the 2021 Editor's Choice Awards for Home AV and Hi-fi with Steve and Ed. And Finally, we wrap up on the album and 4K discs of the week and what we have been watching.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers and Ed Selley

This podcast is sponsored by the Philips OLED+ TV. Redefining what’s possible in the premium TV market. Discover more at https://www.philips.com/oled+

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:28 - Welcome
00:12:51 - Competitions
00:15:52 - Philips OLED TV shootout debrief
00:23:24 - Should you get your TV calibrated?
00:28:31 - Panasonic JZ2000 OLED review final thoughts vs JZ1500
00:34:24 - Panasonic TV HDMI 2.1 firmware update news
00:35:50 - Editor's Choice awards 2021 introduction
00:36:56 - Hi-Fi awards explained by Ed
00:51:15 - Q&A
01:01:10 - Album of the week
01:05:08 - Q&A
01:06:38 - What have we been watching on TV?
01:17:40 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

Pulse1

Just watched your podcast and enjoyed the way that you's explained with detail the way that the products are picked for the awards. Makes perfect sense to me. Really missed Steve's input though!! Phil, listed to you very clearly on the fact about projectors and 4k and HDR and to be honest i think that in a proper blacked out dedicated room calibrated 1080p SDR is still the sweet spot for projectors and will be for quite some time to come. That's a good thing though as look at the cash that can be saved purchasing HD SDR Blu-rays compared to the 4k HDR/Dolby Vision versions :thumbsup: I would also say if you don't have a blacked out room then calibration isn't really fully justified, but if you have a blacked out room then yes as then you can get the best out of everything in the whole chain.

Fasen

81644425.jpg

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member

Zapco1269

Novice Member
Specifically, were the 2 TVs JZ1500-JZ2000 compared side by side? From what did the tester find that there is no difference in image quality? I received the following answer from panasonic:

Panasonic Hungary 20/09/2017, P, 10:41 Dear Nándor Bereczky!

Thank you for your interest in the Panasonic brand and for contacting our Customer Service. The area engineer provided the following answers. 1. The TX-65JZ2000 is equipped with a unique professional HDR OLED panel tuned by Panasonic engineers. 2. The Panel provides more luminescence compared to the JZ1500, the dynamic contrast ratio of deep black is also better. 3. The media player has not changed compared to the 2020 HZ model. 4. Apple Tv, HBO GO (HBO MAX) and Disney + apps are currently unavailable, we have no information on whether and when they will be available. 5. The picture quality is not affected by HDMI 2.1. 6. The availability of applications depends on the market supply and varies, unfortunately there is no list of currently available applications. 7. Film and TV picture quality is affected by better luminescence and deep black. Thank you for your patience. Discover the exclusive offer of the Panasonic product warranty extension. This exclusive promotion provides an opportunity to extend the warranty for 24 months from the date of purchase of the Panasonic product. Our offer is for owners of Panasonic TVs, digital cameras and camcorders. Details of the offer can be found at: [https: // Discover Panasonic's exclusive product warranty extension offer. This exclusive promotion provides an opportunity to extend the warranty for 24 months from the date of purchase of the Panasonic product. Our offer is for owners of Panasonic TVs, digital cameras and camcorders. Details of the offer can be found at https://www.panasonic.com/en/tamoga...com/en/tamogatas/extended-Guarantee-panasonic. html Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to know about our promotions, discount coupons, sweepstakes and the latest products. Best regards, Gábor Molnár Panasonic Customer Service tel: 06 80 201 006 www.panasonic.hu Collection of frequently asked questions: https://support-en.panasonic.eu/app/answers/list/st/7/search/1 Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH South-East Europe Branch Office H-1117, Alíz u. 4 / A. Hungary, Budapest

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
@Ed Selley

Oh we finally have a chef with some rather large delusions. Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to "running commentary" Nick. Oh boy, it's been a while, but Masterchef has finally come round to the thought that its always fun to have at least one delusional chef.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
You have Audioquest Nightowl headphones in the signature. They are awesome.
I love them. They have their critics, and overall, I usually pick the 660s, But the Nightowls dare to be different (tho the nighthawks even more so) and I like that. They are by far, the most comfortable headphones I've owned or tired and I can listen with them all day. Not something I could do with the Senns.

Pogg

I love them. They have their critics, and overall, I usually pick the 660s, But the Nightowls dare to be different (tho the nighthawks even more so) and I like that. They are by far, the most comfortable headphones I've owned or tired and I can listen with them all day. Not something I could do with the Senns.
I had the Audioquest Nighthawks which at the time were over £500.
Biggest tech regret is selling them and not buying the Nightowls.

I got the Focal Clear MG now, but still miss Nighthawks for reasons you mentioned plus imaging.

Also snap - I got OIDIO cable aswell [4.4 balanced for my Clear]. They sent me a biscuit with it because I am special.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom