Podcast: LG CX vs. Panasonic HZ2000, Laser Projector review, is 4K disc dead, B+W Hugh Jackman

Evinger

Something else that I think is important regarding 4K discs is that studios have a bizarre attitude to which territories to release them in. Disney is a prime example of this. They've gone to the trouble of creating 4K versions of the Pixar films but then don't release huge titles like Wall-E, Up, Monsters Inc/U in the UK. I'd love to understand their business philosophy behind this. They have created the product, why not try and get the most return from it by releasing it in more countries. I'm sure they'd sell.
Agreed. That whole thing with not releasing the Star Wars individual 4K's in the UK, while putting them out in other European countries, beggars belief. The other way around (As the covers etc. need to be in the "Native" Language, & the alternate language tracks produced / redone), I could understand a little more, but not the way it was done.

Morgan Wright

Standard Member
Agreed. That whole thing with not releasing the Star Wars individual 4K's in the UK, while putting them out in other European countries, beggars belief. The other way around (As the covers etc. need to be in the "Native" Language, & the alternate language tracks produced / redone), I could understand a little more, but not the way it was done.
Yeah, I think it's completely crazy that the same content isn't released at the same time all the way round the world, like what Netflix does Generally. Also, in my mind, releasing the same stuff all at once would surely combat piracy. As an example loads of people, in the UK, pirated the Mandalorian because it wasn't available not necessarily because they didn't want to pay for it. It's such an outdated petty thing that needs to stop.

Chris 1701

Great 'cast as ever gents and loving the recent discussions regarding physical media vs digital. I'll always treasure physical discs but do from time to time find myself purchasing digital if the price is good and it's something I like but not necessarily adore (i.e. where I would want the absolute best picture, sound and even better if there's a collector's edition box set).

One question @Phil Hinton is the audio only version (nothing personal, loved the video versions just better whilst I'm working from home) of the podcast available via Stitcher? I can't seem to find it.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
One question @Phil Hinton is the audio only version (nothing personal, loved the video versions just better whilst I'm working from home) of the podcast available via Stitcher? I can't seem to find it.
We will have a look and see if we can add the audio version. Thanks

The_Wierd

Yeah, I think it's completely crazy that the same content isn't released at the same time all the way round the world, like what Netflix does Generally. Also, in my mind, releasing the same stuff all at once would surely combat piracy. As an example loads of people, in the UK, pirated the Mandalorian because it wasn't available not necessarily because they didn't want to pay for it. It's such an outdated petty thing that needs to stop.
I think The Mandalorian was an exception on D+ due to the delay in launching the service here. Content released on D+ since then seems to be simultaneous world wide.

Morgan Wright

Standard Member
I think The Mandalorian was an exception on D+ due to the delay in launching the service here. Content released on D+ since then seems to be simultaneous world wide.
It was the first example that popped into my head. But either way the whole situation is daft when you consider 4K disc isn't region locked, or certain streamed content has licensing agreements that the consumer doesn't care about.

Evinger

Lloydy92

Standard Member
I used to be a big advocate of physical media when it came to films but my opinion has changed somewhat in the last year or so. Firstly I came to terms with the fact I didn’t actually watch most of the films in my collection.
I drastically reduced it until I got down to 40-50 favourites, ones that I know I’ll return to and vowed to start renting more instead of just buying. Having a smaller collection taking up a lot less space is a big plus for me.
Secondly, with the arrival of fibre to the property in my area, my 150mbps broadband allows 4K streaming, which to my eye looks 95% as good as disc, that’s a good compromise to me. I rarely buy discs now unless it really is a film I love and will watch several times, not just once and then maybe a rewatch or two.
I totally see the appeal of physical discs and if I had the space and money, I’d probably be tempted to keep more. To be honest, £20 and over is too expensive imo. HMV do their 2 for £30, which feels about right.

Evinger

babator

I have an UHD Blu-Ray player (the Samsung K8500), but it doesn't support HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. I previously had a TV that didn't support Dolby Vision, so it was a reasonable match. But nowadays the discs come with Dolby Vision support, so buying UHD Blu-ray releases seemed like I would pay a lot more for still not getting the highest possible picture quality, and that maybe I should wait until I had the equipment to watch the release in its best picture format. So I somehow got out of the habit of buying discs.

I did replace the TV with a Panasonic GZ960 (an OLED that supports Dolby Vision and has great HDR picture quality). So now? I could get a new player, but it seems such a waste to pay hundreds of euros for another one when the K8500 has barely been used in the three years I have had it. And streaming is so convenient...

Evinger

I have an UHD Blu-Ray player (the Samsung K8500), but it doesn't support HDR10+ or Dolby Vision. I previously had a TV that didn't support Dolby Vision, so it was a reasonable match. But nowadays the discs come with Dolby Vision support, so buying UHD Blu-ray releases seemed like I would pay a lot more for still not getting the highest possible picture quality, and that maybe I should wait until I had the equipment to watch the release in its best picture format. So I somehow got out of the habit of buying discs.

I did replace the TV with a Panasonic GZ960 (an OLED that supports Dolby Vision and has great HDR picture quality). So now? I could get a new player, but it seems such a waste to pay hundreds of euros for another one when the K8500 has barely been used in the three years I have had it. And streaming is so convenient...
You could get one of the LG players - really cheap, so if you do get a Disk with DV you can at least watch it with DV

Olliefreddie1

Interesting to listen to the thoughts on physical media.

i started moving over about a year ago. Having bought an Apple 4K tv for the family room beforehand and limiting our buys to comedy and family films. I then bought another for the main living room system and haven’t a film on disc since.

I had never gone 4K Blu-ray so the uplift in picture was great. Yes the sound is compressed and not as good but the newer films especially still sound very good and it’s only really at volumes I can’t get away with anyway where the differences are heard.

The big thing is prices - deals always come up on iTunes and rarely do I pay more than 5 quid for a film. I’ve had some amazing deals especially on sets of films like trilogies. 4K discs are just too expensive especially if you’ve bought the film before on other formats.

And I do think the difference in sound quality will be closed in the not too distant future.

Jokerr

The discussion about Extras on Blu Ray. Whilst purchase on Prime, Google Movies and Rakatuen might exclude the extras, this is not so much with iTunes purchased Movies where the Extras are included and in some cases not even available on DVD/BLU RAY.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Seriously it doesn't matter how well a review is written if it is biased and talking nonsense - it is and always will be utter crap.

Yes there will be people who agree and disagree but the first and main objectives for any review is to try and be unbiased and get your facts right. Think who the item/media is aimed at, maybe it isn't your thing and if that is the case think carefully about a audience it might appeal to.

The well written part is the desert not the main course.
Pointed towards anyone specific, friend?

Evinger

Seriously it doesn't matter how well a review is written if it is biased and talking nonsense - it is and always will be utter crap.

Yes there will be people who agree and disagree but the first and main objectives for any review is to try and be unbiased and get your facts right. Think who the item/media is aimed at, maybe it isn't your thing and if that is the case think carefully about a audience it might appeal to.

The well written part is the desert not the main course.
Pointed towards anyone specific, friend?
Ooh, Ooh, Ooh!
Unleash the Tom!!!
:D

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

MartinH32

Love the conversation on the physical media over the last two weeks. I've never purchased a digital movie yet. Can't bring myself to do so and be at the beck and call of a movie service that could go under and leave me with nothing. I love collecting and watching my disks, but fear when I can't get hold of them anymore the fun of my hobby will have gone.

Chris 1701

It's a bit of shame that there seem to be quite a lot of movies have been given the 4k/HDR treatment but are only available digitally...the Die Hard series is a recent example I've discovered, although the first Die Hard is out on 4k disc the sequels in 4k only currently exist digitally.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom