Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more (19th May '21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we round off the C1 OLED TV review and also cover the answers to our questions regarding the EVO panel and processing in the C1 and G1 from LG. Ed reviews the Sennheiser IE 900 earphones and we discuss the recent news that Apple will offer lossless music and Dolby Atmos for no additional costs on their Apple Music service, while Amazon drops the subscription costs of its lossless music service. Plus, Tom is here to cover the latest movie and TV Show news and reviews.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley and Tom Davies

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:28 - Welcome and catch up (with IFA 2021 cancellation news)
00:10:45 - Competitions
00:14:45 - LG C1 OLED review & C1 vs G1 EVO answers from LG
00:23:43 - Samsung... I mean Sennheiser IE 900 earphones review
00:31:29 - Amazon Music and Apple Music offer Lossless for no additional cost
00:45:38 - Amazon 'in talks to buy MGM Studios for $9bn' + Warner Media and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal
01:04:00 - Ed's album of the week & music favourites
01:13:44 - The story behind the story behind The Woman in the Window
01:24:40 - The Nethers TV show review
01:26:20 - Love, Death & Robots TV show review
01:29:13 - The Underground Railway TV show review
01:35:15 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday evening

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think it is good news overall for audio enthusiasts with Apple offering Lossless 24bit/192 at only £10. Perhaps now Sound Mastering Engineers can give up the loudness war which has been ruining the fidelity of popular music.

i am guessing there will be Airplay version which supports lossless wireless transmission as next generation update.

Very interesting podcast. @Ed Selley i currently use Qobuz for hi res listening on my Lindemann Limetree Network and Apple Music for ATV4K and convenience listening. Is there a way to listen to Apple Music on the Limetree? Also do you think Qobuz will come down in price to match Apple?

Agree too on Delta Kream- an outstanding listen. Paul Weller’s Fat Pop is also an excellent release.

The MGM movies mentioned such as Ben Her and Wizard of Oz are owned by Warner Bros, and not MGM. All movies pre-1986 MGM movies are owned by Warner Bros.

Warner used to distribute MGM titles. I don't think they ever owned them?

Good bit about music streaming. And interesting that more services will offer lossless which is good. Personally i use Spotify (and ripped cds in FLAC from my NAS) and will continue to do so for several reasons:
1: They have the best algorithms/interface imo
2: its like you say in the podcast, what i am used to (me and the rest of my family)
3: they will offer lossless later this year (redbook is fine by me, hi-res, meeeh)
4: Spotify connect is brilliant and works
5: for my music taste they have a larger selection, some of the others (tidal, qobuz) are missing some of my favorite artists
6: Podcast integration is good (listening to the AVforums podcast through Spotify right now as i write this)
7: Sonos integration is really good (Have Sonos in every room except my living room)

Extra interesting Podcast for me this week; thank you Gentlemen!
This move to streaming services reminds me of Broadcast TV, when to get all the channels you had to buy bundles. Then people "Cut the chord", so you could choose "exactly what you want to watch" but obviously the Companies decided they would all like ALL the money, & here we are back with loads of different packages each with their Monthly / Yearly fee.

Thanks gents for some good discussions this week.
I'm also looking forward to returning to the cinema and agree they need to adapt to new demands. They should also deal with my pet hate of boisterous teenagers as I have almost become Charles Bronson on occasions in the past.
Interesting thoughts on the future of streaming and having tried various free trials of other services, I'm more than happy with Spotify for many of the reasons you mentioned. Their HD service cannot come quick enough.
Finally - Apparently there has been an incident at Liverpool docks.
Containers.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks gents for some good discussions this week.
I'm also looking forward to returning to the cinema and agree they need to adapt to new demands. They should also deal with my pet hate of boisterous teenagers as I have almost become Charles Bronson on occasions in the past.
Interesting thoughts on the future of streaming and having tried various free trials of other services, I'm more than happy with Spotify for many of the reasons you mentioned. Their HD service cannot come quick enough.
Finally - Apparently there has been an incident at Liverpool docks.
View attachment 1515609
Wait is that a Mustang under that grey container?

Great episode as usual. If I can transfer my playlists from Spotify then I think I’ll give Apple music a go. As i said in the above thread, Spotify’s shuffle is so bad on an epic scale. Tried again today and it played the same song within 5 tracks. Absolutely bag of s**t

And while I’m late to the party, Taskmaster and “it’s an absolute casserole” was truly epic. Not laughed so much at a tv show since Roast Battle with Phil Wang made pumpy with Ed Gamble’s dad.

Last edited:
Great episode as usual. If I can transfer my playlists from Spotify then I think I’ll give Apple music a go. As i said in the above thread, Spotify’s shuffle is so bad on an epic scale. Tried again today and it played the same song within 5 tracks. Absolutely bag of s**t

And while I’m late to the party, Taskmaster and “it’s an absolute casserole” was truly epic. Not laughed so much at a tv show since Roast Battle with Phil Wang made pumpy with Ed Gamble’s dad.
I have used the following when trialling different streaming services. The free version has a limit of 1000 tracks at a time so to get around that, transfer playlists separately and you will manage to copy all your music.

I have used the following when trialling different streaming services. The free version has a limit of 1000 tracks at a time so to get around that, transfer playlists separately and you will manage to copy all your music.
Nice thanks you, might give that a try. Had a lot of Ed’s greatest albums and live albums so there are a lot of songs.

Interesting answers about the C1, they're basically admitting that they're software segmenting the C1s that have the newer "Evo" panel (yes I know they say it's a combo of panel and processing, but I mean the new panel here) to limit the performance. Apparently some rather gungho Americans have been able to remove the artificial software limit on the C1 (with the new "Evo" panel) in the service menu, so that it behaves the same way as the G1. Obviously I don't know whether there are physical differences on the TVs that may affect things like thermals and panel life, but it's definitely an interesting revelation. LGE may try to patch this out, but in the meantime for those of us who want the 83" it offers hope that we can get the "G" performance from the "C". 😃

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom