Podcast: Is TV Calibration still relevant or does Filmmaker Mode replace it? + Movie News & Reviews

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we look at the latest TV news from Philips with their OLED807 TV launch, Sony has announced the A75K OLED TV for the UK and LG C2 price and availability is leaked by the John Lewis website. We also discuss the value of TV picture calibration and if it is still worthwhile doing to your new TV or does the Filmmaker Mode make it irrelevant these days? Ed also gives us a review of the Zidoo NeoS Music Streamer and his album, vinyl and playlist of the week.
The movies team follow this with a review of Moonfall at the cinema as well as the latest movies release news and views, they also discuss the latest 4K Blu-ray disc announcements as well as what they have been watching on the TV. Plus, is there a big difference between Dolby Vision streaming or the HDR10 disc release of the same film?

Presented by Phil Hinton & Cas Harlow with Ed Selley, Julian Scott, Andy Bassett, Simon Crust, Tom Davies and Mark Costello

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:09 - Welcome
00:03:28 - AV & Hi-Fi News
00:04:26 - Philips announces OLED807 and 8807 The One TVs for 2022 - Using OLED EX panel
00:11:47 - Sony announces A75K OLED
00:13:55 - LG 48C2 price and release window revealed? - John Lewis webpage
00:17:03 - Chord Electronics introduces Mojo 2 DAC/headphone amplifier
00:20:12 - Pro-Ject launches A1 Automatic turntable - First fully automatic range for the company
00:22:50 - Lypertek launches PurePlay Z5 TWS earphones - First to include ANC for company
00:24:10 - Zidoo NeoS Music Streamer Review
00:27:38 - What is TV Calibration and is it still relevant with Filmmaker Mode now available?
00:42:39 - Ed’s Album, Vinyl and Playlist of the Week!
00:46:46 - Movies, TV Shows and 4K Blu-rays section with the movies team
00:47:57 - Current Competitions
00:50:26 - Moonfall Movie Review
00:56:18 - Movies being released this week
00:59:04 - BAFTA Nominations
01:06:56 - 4K Blu-ray disc news
01:18:14 - Why are streaming releases and 4K Blu-ray releases of the same films so different?
01:24:14 - Dolby Vision streaming releases vs. HDR10 disc releases for the same films - difference?
01:35:40 - What are we watching on TV?
01:44:41 - What Are our thoughts on the Book of Boba Fett?
01:50:02 - Goodbyes

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Pogg

As a preemptive consideration Sony should not sell any TV’s in UK until they can support BBC iPlayer without the need of Ariel.

There have been numerous complaints here n how BBC iPlayer picture is stretched out top to bottom, which started happening over a year ago. They are clearly not bothered to fix it.

Some have now seen this bug also on Disney Plus recently. This is only a Sony Android issue as far as I know.

Basically BBC iPlayer is unwatchable without an Ariel on Sony Android TV’s. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE ESPECIALLY AS WE HAVE TO PAY OVER £150 FOR THE LICENSE SO A TV THAT STRETCHES THE PICTURE SHOULD NOT BE SOLD IN UK.

Fasen

"Best sandwich" and "most Spidermen" best award categories ever :rotfl: :D

Toon Army

Thanks gents for another informative podcast and if Phil needs a bagman for Weybridge, just drop me a line.

Enjoyed the discussion on calibrating TVs and I see that one particular company will now supply TVs they calibrate before delivery for an extra charge. This is supported by a certain YouTube reviewer with an oriental background. Link not supplied in case this post is deleted. I will seriously consider this option for my next OLED TV which could be around Black Friday this year.

I also enjoyed the chat about the availability of DV, Atmos etc on streaming services and physical formats. Guess if we had an insight on the strategic objectives of Disney etc, then we would know what's ahead. Finally loved hearing about the Bruce Willis award.

Last edited:

Samv0808

Distinguished Member
Great podcast. Thanks team.

A big part of the calibration experience for me is having chats with those that come and do it. They have always been fun and informative. But I can see the appeal of one done when you get the TV.

Deesnutz

Thanks gents for another informative podcast and if Phil needs a bagman for Weybridge, just drop me a line.

Enjoyed the discussion on calibrating TVs and I see that one particular company will now supply TVs they calibrate before delivery for an extra charge. This is supported by a certain YouTube reviewer with an oriental background. Link not supplied in case this post is deleted. I will seriously consider this option for my next OLED TV which could be around Black Friday this year.

I also enjoyed the chat about the availability of DV, Atmos etc on streaming services and physical formats. Guess if we had an insight on the strategic objectives of Disney etc, then we would know what's ahead. Finally loved hearing about the Bruce Willis award.
The Half in the Bag Bruce Willis episode is hilarious.

]

Andy Bassett

Standard Member
Staff member
If you want to catch the AVForums podcasts in more bite-sized chunks, we'll be presenting the episodes in shorter clips on our YouTube channel, and here in the thread.

First up: Philips announces the OLED807 with the new OLED EX panel

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom