Podcast: IFA News Round-up, Sony A8 OLED Reviews, Movies and More...

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we review the Sony A8 OLED TV, Mulan on Disney+ and we round-up the latest news from the virtual IFA show in Germany plus wrap-up with the latest movie news and reviews...

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Steve Withers.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:17 - Welcome
00:03:45 - What has Phil done this week? Car club Scottish borders run
00:05:20 - What has Steve done this week? Watching Cobra Kai
00:08:10 - What has Ed done this week? Waking up a village at 6am on a Sunday
00:09:55 - What has Cas done this week? Return to school and school drop-off chaos
00:15:50 - Competitions. 4K Blu-ray bonanza!
00:18:00 - IFA roundup : Philips soundbars and TVs
00:23:10 - IFA roundup : Samsung Premier short throw projector
00:26:27 - IFA roundup : TCL TVs and soundbar
00:30:38 - IFA roundup : Denon products
00:31:25 - IFA roundup : JVC projector firmware upgrade
00:34:33 - IFA roundup : Technics amp
00:35:53 - Bowers & Wilkins 702 hi-fi speakers
00:40:30 - Your questions answered
00:51:48 - Sony A8 OLED review
01:02:45 - Ed's album recommendation of the week : Tricky - Fall to Pieces
01:08:15 - Mulan review and premium streaming discussion
01:16:16 - Total Recall 5 disc boxset is coming
01:24:40 - Steve noticed that PQ is better these days but bass is lacking
01:29:07 - TV show recommendations. The Boys, of course.
01:36:26 - Last questions answered
01:40:40 - Podcast competition & goodbyes

This week's podcast competition: Win a copy of Sonic The Hedgehog on Blu-ray. Listen for the question in this podcast, select the correct answer in the competition here: https://www.avforums.com/competitions... The competition is open to UK resident AVForums members and closes midnight of the Thursday following the podcast.

Note: If you are having problems with subscription services and Apps, please deselect and then re-subscribe to the podcast feed, thanks.

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks for another fun Podcast. Could not join last night but listened this Morning :)

Great show guys, interesting stuff about TCL, looking forward to the reviews.

Had to google the Fifth Element 4K box art. YIKES.

Still got my DVD special edition which is a fantastic piece of minimalist art in comparison

5A7D6788-8BB7-41B3-B1BC-E08EA1480D3E.jpeg

Has Sony decided to keep quiet this year for IFA? Usually it is a major platform for many Sony Consumer Product Launch announcements.

They released the new 1000XM4 Headphones last Month with just a press release.

Has Sony decided to keep quiet this year for IFA? Usually it is a major platform for many Sony Consumer Product Launch announcements.

They released the new 1000XM4 Headphones last Month with just a press release.
Check the front page tomorrow.

Not to sound like a member of the dirty Mac brigade, but I imported the Italian blu-ray of the Emmanulle trilogy from Studio Canal which I think are from the same scans as Kino Lorber as using for the US a few years ago. The films look as good as they can, given like more erotica of that period, seem to be shot with haze filters over the lens. They look and sound great, but not nearly as sexy as 12 year old me found them late night on Channel 5. Hoping that Severin work their magic on the unofficial Black Emanuelle series soon.

That would be Vaseline.
I know that was the practice, but I used to be a camera assistant on TV programmes and music videos. If I so much as breathed too close to the lens, the operator and DOP used to kick off at me, so I can only imagine the glory days where adding Vaseline onto the glass wasn't punishable by death.

Great podcast as usual :) When will the A8 review be up?

Direct link is to last week's podcast. Hope to hear this weeks soon. Thanks.

Hopefully Sony pulls up their socks and finally adds both AppleTV+ subscription service and iTunes Movies to Android. NowTV is just a distant dream - forget about it.

I can't even stand watching a decent Movie on those backseat screens on an Airplane.
Watching a Movie on a phone? (Don't care if they say it is 4K 8 K 16 K Dolby Atmos+++) Is that actually an experience?

Weird that Steve thinks Larusso is "a bit of a prick" in Cobra Kai.

What was the music track from a trailer that Cas was liking? I couldn’t make it out when they mentioned it. A remix of something.

Weird that Steve thinks Larusso is "a bit of a prick" in Cobra Kai.
He is! Sometimes his 'prickery' is very obvious, and at other times it's wonderfully subtle. I'm not saying Johnny is a saint but that's the beauty of the show, there are no simplistic heroes or villains – everyone is well-drawn and provided with genuine motivations. The road trip with Johnny and his friends from the original film is an absolute heart-breaker.

What was the music track from a trailer that Cas was liking? I couldn’t make it out when they mentioned it. A remix of something.

Sebastian Bohm's remix of New Order's Blue Monday. From the WW84 Trailer. Awesome. But unfortunately not in the film.

Just about the best edited-to-a-music-track trailer I've ever seen.

The drums are perfectly timed, at 0:40, then again at 1:20, 1:40 and with the heavy guns at 2:00, and it's absolutely soaring, gorgeously matching the vibe. The subsequent trailer is just cookie-cutter by comparison.

Last edited:
Sebastian Bohm's remix of New Order's Blue Monday. From the WW84 Trailer. Awesome. But unfortunately not in the film.

Just about the best edited-to-a-music-track trailer I've ever seen.

The drums are perfectly timed, at 0:40, then again at 1:20, 1:40 and with the heavy guns at 2:00, and it's absolutely soaring, gorgeously matching the vibe. The subsequent trailer is just cookie-cutter by comparison.

Nice! :thumbsup:

He is! Sometimes his 'prickery' is very obvious, and at other times it's wonderfully subtle. I'm not saying Johnny is a saint but that's the beauty of the show, there are no simplistic heroes or villains – everyone is well-drawn and provided with genuine motivations. The road trip with Johnny and his friends from the original film is an absolute heart-breaker.
I like the stance twist of view they have taken here. Larusso being portrayed as a character less liked and the other blond Actor being more likeable under dog. Good decision by story creators.

by the way was Kobra Kai first made as a YouTube Premium original and then Netflix purchased it. Not sure about this.

hope your well Steve. My regards

I like the stance twist of view they have taken here. Larusso being portrayed as a character less liked and the other blond Actor being more likeable under dog. Good decision by story creators.

by the way was Kobra Kai first made as a YouTube Premium original and then Netflix purchased it. Not sure about this.

hope your well Steve. My regards
I'm good thanks, and I hope you're well too.

Cobra Kai is a Sony Television production that was originally released via YouTube Premium, where no-one saw it. I guess that's why the show was sold to Netflix, where it's been a huge success. Hopefully season three will turn up on Netflix next year, assuming Sony can actually make it in the current environment.

On a slightly controversial point so please excuse me. The actress playing Larusso’s Wife is completely out of his League. Makes us dislike his Character even more.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom