Podcast: Best Screens for a Home Cinema, Samsung NEO G9 Gaming Monitor Review and more… (25th August 2021)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week the team discuss building a home cinema and the types of screens best suited to such a set-up, including the best aspect ratios and screen materials. We get an update on the reviews being worked on as well as a quick review of the Samsung NEO G9 Gaming Monitor from Greg. Plus, we have Ed’s album and Steve’s 4K disc choices for this week!

Presented by Phil Hinton, Steve Withers, Greg Hook and Ed Selley

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:45 - Welcome & catchup
00:12:38 - Competition
00:15:35 - Samsung Odyssey Neo 49" curved gaming monitor review
00:23:42 - Bowers & Wilkins new 8000 D4 series speakers news
00:31:35 - Yamaha RX-A2A AV receiver review
00:41:45 - Q&A
00:51:50 - Best screens for a home cinema
01:11:19 - Album of the week
01:13:00 - Playlist of the month
01:14:34 - Vinyl of the month
01:17:01 - Best 4K Blu-rays of August 2021
01:20:48 - Best TV of the month
01:33:46 - Podcast competition

This week's podcast is sponsored by Humax Aura. Until the end of August 2021, there is £30 off of the Aura range. Find out more and save by visiting: Humax Direct | Freesat, Freeview, Youview, Smart Home & Humax Eye

These links will be live following the live stream on Wednesday

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi

During the podcast it was inferred that the Yamaha RX-A2 would be devoid of any HDMI version 2.1 issues. The A2 is in fact one of the Yamaha models effected by the HDMI version 2.1 "bug" and one of the models that Yamaha have said that they will replace the HDMI board on:

It is the more recent Aventage RX-A4, A6 and the A8 models who's HDMI chipset isn't effected by the issues effecting the first gen HDMI version 2.1 models and not the A2. The higher tier models will also include a 40Gbps HDMI version 2.1chipset and offer support for HDMI version 2.1 via all of their HDMI inputs and outputs. The A2 can only offer this in association with 3 of its inputs and is limited to just 24Gbps.

It is a shame that the board couldn't get Yamaha to let you have one of the top three Aventage models for review purposes. THe A2 is more akin to the V6 with an extra foot bolted onto it and yes, rather expensive when you start looking at what you get for your money. It isn't until you get to the A4 model that paying more for one of the Aventage models starts making any sense.

Anyway, thanks for the podcast :)

and why has everyone apart from Phil got a cat?

Last edited:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member

Fasen

Another enjoyable one. :smashin:

I agree with Steve on the 60fps 4K gaming. I'd rather have 60fps smooth and ALL the visual stuff turned up to 11, instead of 120 fps with "normal" settings. But as Greg says, it really depends on the type of game you play. But for me it's 60fps all the way. (i don't play competitive fps games anyway, to old for that).

And Greg's absolutely right, Ash Vs Evil Dead is brilliant!

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
and why has everyone apart from Phil got a cat?

Because he has a Pony (car). Badum tish.

I'd be happy to swap cats with @Greg Hook though. His just sits on a bed rather than trying to climb his face mid podcast.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Hi

During the podcast it was inferred that the Yamaha RX-A2 would be devoid of any HDMI version 2.1 issues. The A2 is in fact one of the Yamaha models effected by the HDMI version 2.1 "bug" and one of the models that Yamaha have said that they will replace the HDMI board on.

It is the more recent Aventage RX-A4, A6 and the A8 models who's HDMI chipset isn't effected by the issues effecting the first gen HDMI version 2.1 models and not the A2. The higher tier models will also include a 40Gbps HDMI version 2.1chipset and offer support for HDMI version 2.1 via all of their HDMI inputs and outputs. The A2 can only offer this in association with 3 of its inputs and is limited to just 24Gbps.

It is a shame that the board couldn't get Yamaha to let you have one of the top three Aventage models for review purposes. THe A2 is more akin to the V6 with an extra foot bolted onto it and yes, rather expensive when you start looking at what you get for your money. It isn't until you get to the A4 model that paying more for one of the Aventage models starts making any sense.
I knew the V6 and V6 had the bug, but I thought the reason the Aventage range was delayed was to avoid the HDMI 2.1 issues. Thanks for letting me know, and as you point out the A2 is little more than a pimped-up V6. I really don't understand why Yamaha sent this receiver out for review, rather than the A6 or A8.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Another enjoyable one. :smashin:

I agree with Steve on the 60fps 4K gaming. I'd rather have 60fps smooth and ALL the visual stuff turned up to 11, instead of 120 fps with "normal" settings. But as Greg says, it really depends on the type of game you play. But for me it's 60fps all the way. (i don't play competitive fps games anyway, to old for that).

And Greg's absolutely right, Ash Vs Evil Dead is brilliant!
I agree, as you say, depends on the game, the latest F1 2021 game has a rock solid 4K /60 but also a 1440P / 120 performance mode which is fantastic, the resolution drop (at the speeds you are travelling) isn't noticeable

Great podcast, thanks guys

dante01

Distinguished Member
I knew the V6 and V6 had the bug, but I thought the reason the Aventage range was delayed was to avoid the HDMI 2.1 issues. Thanks for letting me know, and as you point out the A2 is little more than a pimped-up V6. I really don't understand why Yamaha sent this receiver out for review, rather than the A6 or A8.

The A2 Aventage model was launched and made available last year at about the same time as the V4 and V6 models. The higher tier Aventage models always had a later date scheduled for their release (intially spring this year) and there were already leaks that these models would have more HDMI version 2.1 compliant inputs and outputs than the models that had already been launched.

Yes, there has been a subsequent delay associated with the launch of the A4, A6 and the A8 models, but Yamaha always intended these models to incorporate different HDMI chipsets and give these flagship models greater bandwidth performance relative to their HDMI version 2.1 capabilities. Yes, some of the delay has been in relation to ensuring these models haven't similar issues as those issues associated with the models below them, but some delay is due to manufacturing problems brought about by COVID. Yamaha make these models 5.000 per month in Malaysia and Malaysia had a lock down that basically closed down the Yamaha plants there. There's also another delay again due to issues associated with the manufacture of these models that may prolong their release even longer?

The A2 basically uses the same HDMI board and chipset as you'd get onboard the V6 and doesn't include the more capable setup associated with the models above it.

The A2 was made available last year while the A4, A6 and the A8 aren't even available yet here in the UK.

I've no idea as to whether or not Yamaha have started fitting the revised chipset and HDMI boards on the models below the A4 at the point of manufacture, but Yamaha haven't posted anything to suggest this as what they've been doing and do suggest existing owners of the A2 and lower tier models register their unit with Yamaha in order to quslify for a free hardware update which will replace the HDMI board and problematic chipset.

Last edited:

ASL1

The narrator for The Movies That Made Us season 2 is Danny Wallace of Yes Man fame: Danny Wallace (humorist) - Wikipedia

His humorous commentary works well when he is commentating on The World Strongest Man, but not so much on documentaries. I agree with Steve, season 1's more serious narration was much better. The tone for season 2 was a bit off and grating (bordering on annoying).

LicensedTaximan

Over in Madeira at the mo (green list for covid) and missed the "live" poddy, so I will listen to the recording whilst suffering over here doing naff all later tonight.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
A90J review?
MIA

John Woodcock

great podcast guys. I was lisning to the screen segment i have personally had a fixed 4x3 pvc screen followed by a bonded white formica screen, to a screen reseach clear pix 2 with a 1:1 gain to a custom made micro perf screen with a 1:3 gain. I found the micro perf to give more punch on the colour. Sound wise the SR Screen might have the edge on the audio but not by a mile though. just my opinion.

John Woodcock

I thought about doing a 2:1 ratio screen because of the varied content i watch.

SyStemDeMoN

Great podcast as always.
I am surprised that Mr. Withers did not know about Nilsen being a copper. I encourage him to watch the ITV drama with David Tennant in. I have read somewhere that he 'resigned' after being found pleasuring himself whilst in the morgue.
I am also worried about Ed's Girlfriend and the films she has never watched.
Is this not abuse ?
When a young lad who worked at a place I delivered too told me he has never seen Star wars I told him that next he would be telling me he had never watched Indiana Jones, he said he had never watched that also.
Of course I immediately informed the authorities of historical Child Abuse.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom