Podcast: Best Home Cinema Speakers and where to place them and more...(29th September 2021)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we cover the subject of which speakers you should choose for your dedicated home cinema build and the best placement points for them. Plus, Ed looks at the iFi Zen Stream and Steve looks at the Paradigm Founder 70 LCR speakers, and we give you the album and 4K discs of the week.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley and Steve Withers

This weeks’ podcast is sponsored by the 'Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Diamond range.

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - Welcome
00:13:26 - Competitions
00:16:08 - Paradigm Founder 70LCR speakers review
00:25:20 - Home cinema speaker types and placement advice
01:00:50 - iFi Audio Zen Stream streamer review
01:05:08 - Album, vinyl and playlist of the week/month
01:10:47 - 4K Blu-ray recommendations
01:16:54 - News
01:18:04 - TV show recommendations

Towards the end of the podcast, we ask you the question for this week's competition. Win a copy of Natural Born Killers on Blu-ray When you know the question, select the correct answer in the competition here. https://www.avforums.com/competitions

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Great Podcast as always. I will never have the situation to have a dedicated Cinema room, but still enjoy the discussion.

Great podcast chaps, and interesting to hear you recommending 7.1 over 5.1.2.
I've always maintained that rears are vital, particularly for immersive formats.
My rears are a lot closer than they're supposed to be, (in a 7.1.2 layout) but I wouldn't be without them.

Also, you're very, very wrong about Stranger Things :p
I watched them all again recently and it's still some of the best TV around. Can't wait for the new season personally.

Re. The Thing 4K... yes it looks superb, but the audio remix is atrocious.

Last edited:
Thanks gents for another good listen.

Agree with Ed's thoughts on PSB and they are touring in October and November. I have a ticket for Birmingham and can't wait.

Also agree about MSP. We saw them live a couple of years ago having seen Elbow the previous evening. The contrast between the two evenings was unbelievable and standing right at the front for the MSP concert, my ears are still ringing.

For those who haven't listened, the advice is the same as has been for the last 15 years or so.

Get a Denon receiver, a bunch of Kef Eggs and a decent sub. Point the speakers at your head and enjoy.

The Kef Eggs are dirt cheap on the used market, so a 7.1.2 channel system can be had for very little money.

Last edited:
Good to hear Genelecs mentioned in the cinema speaker section. I have 8040s for the LCR. They are marvellous, but not perfect. Mine work better in near field so seating position a bit closer, but a lot of that is probably to do with getting away from the back wall. At their best they’re exquisite and they dig tons of detail out, but they can be a touch sharp. Still unlikely to change them unless there’s a big change and a big budget.

Looking forward to the media room discussions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom