Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources & B&W 805D4 Speaker Review and more... (22nd September 2021)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we cover sources and how you can integrate these into your home cinema system for the best quality film and TV viewing. Plus, Ed gives us a review of the Bowers & Wilkins 805D4 speakers and we cover the best album and 4K disc of the week, plus we discuss what we have been watching recently.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley and Steve Withers

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:33 - Welcome.
00:07:17 - Competitions
00:11:25 - Reavon UBR-X100 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review
00:23:23 - Home cinema room sources - streaming devices, 4K UHD players and more
00:42:55 - Bowers & Wilkins 805D4 Speaker Review
00:52:32 - New JVC projector price news
00:55:24 - Panasonic TVs 2017 onwards now get Disney+
00:57:08 - Album of the week
01:05:08 - 4K Blu-rays of the week
01:11:45 - Television picks
01:20:25 - Podcast competition

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi, it appears as the 15 sep 2021 on itunes.
1632347064427.png

Awesome Podcast. I am also looking forward to FOUNDATION on AppleTV+.
I am surprised that most programs on AppleTV+ are amazing even though there are few.

Prior to AppleTV+ my top TV SHOW Content maker was HBO, however the AV Picture Quality for HBO is rubbish - looks like 720 and poor sound.

Along comes Apple and knocks it out of the Park with superb story content and excellent documentaries, plus some good Movies. This along with high bit rate (25-45mbps) with advanced Cache + DOLBYVISION/ATMOS.

I also really liking Disney+.

The reason we don’t get option of HBO Streaming is because of stupid SKY. Which is (football mad+Indian Bollywood shite) and is a joke in terms of price and AV quality.

Snap to a point made in this Podcast in that i hope Apple stays away from PC messaging in content storyline. Ted Lasso Season 2 has a bit too much PC creeping in, although it is done very well with clever humour and I still love the program.

Ed - you would love the Music documentaries on AppleTV+.
I have watched and listened to Bruce Springsteen Album creation documentary 3 times. It is the only Music documentary revealing the actual music creative process. Shows the Genius behind these artists and production team.

Looking forward to listening to this hopefully tonight, the lack of a commute makes podcasts a bit tougher and I just discovered Brett Goldstein's "Movies to be Buried With" which is another podcast you might like ... think of it as "Desert Island Discs" where the guests life is examined through the lens of Movies.

I agree with @Pogg - Apple TV+ quality is top notch.
My initial trial subscription lapsed a few months ago but with Ted Lasso back and Foundation just around the corner it's time to go all in on a new subscription. I've heard great things about Coda too.

The Apple TV / iTunes movie streaming bitrate is pretty solid too, I had "The Wrath of Khan" playing in the background while I listened to the last movies podcast after I had reset the IP Traffic stats for my Apple TV and it looks like it was about 21 GB in size for the movie which is pretty good in my book, I know discs are much higher but that's good enough for me. If my memory serves, while it was playing it was averaging about 25 Mbps with it a lot higher when it first started up.

Good edition gents and especially enjoyed all the hardware chat. Who'd have thought there would be a new UHD player? With regards to your home cinema discussion, is there merit discussing ancillary aspects such as cabling, connectivity ( inc LAN/Wi-fi ), lighting etc?

Good edition gents and especially enjoyed all the hardware chat. Who'd have thought there would be a new UHD player? With regards to your home cinema discussion, is there merit discussing ancillary aspects such as cabling, connectivity ( inc LAN/Wi-fi ), lighting etc?
Exactly my thoughts. I am planning a dedicated room and it would be useful to understand any best practices or rule of thumb to follow when it comes to cable lengths; different types of HDMI; speaker gauges; surge protection etc.

Just got to listen to the Podcast. Thanks Guys, another fun one.
I got that exact LG player because it had Dolby Vision, & now, well, no money to replace it. I was lucky and got one of the quieter models. With some disks it could get a little noisy, but Istuck the Cable TV Box on top of it, & that bit of weight makes it quiet. :)

Just seen Foundation on AppleTV+.

Totally amazing. 10/10 for 1st 2 episodes available now.

Not comparing it to the book, just as a TV Show.

Absolutely incredible Production Value that beats even top Cinema SCI-FI Movies
Great DV Picture and Audio fidelity which is not rubbish compared to typical Netflix compression.

Superb Acting.
Good Pace.
No PC Messaging so far. Hope it remains like this. Very rare these days.

Exactly my thoughts. I am planning a dedicated room and it would be useful to understand any best practices or rule of thumb to follow when it comes to cable lengths; different types of HDMI; speaker gauges; surge protection etc.
Don't worry, we'll cover this as well.

@Steve Withers - if you use an Apple TV in your Cinema Room and you want TV you might want to look into the HDHomerun which is a DVB-T(T2?) tuner and using that (connected to an aerial and a network cable) along with the “Channels” app (which is a bit pricey but worth it) you will be able to easily watch TV from your Apple TV. It also works on the Apple TV’s Top Deck so finding the channel you want is quick and easy.

I quite like that combo, but unfortunately here in Ireland the Terrestrial TV channels are very limited and SiliconDust (the company that makes the HDHomerun) don’t yet make a DVB-S2 tuner so I can’t get the Freesat channels.

@Steve Withers - if you use an Apple TV in your Cinema Room and you want TV you might want to look into the HDHomerun which is a DVB-T(T2?) tuner and using that (connected to an aerial and a network cable) along with the “Channels” app (which is a bit pricey but worth it) you will be able to easily watch TV from your Apple TV. It also works on the Apple TV’s Top Deck so finding the channel you want is quick and easy.

I quite like that combo, but unfortunately here in Ireland the Terrestrial TV channels are very limited and SiliconDust (the company that makes the HDHomerun) don’t yet make a DVB-S2 tuner so I can’t get the Freesat channels.
HDHomeRun Quattro user and mixing with Plex, means I can watch UK TV whilst on holidays abroad where they have rubbish TV. Most the time I am in the office on my Mac, so have HD TV from HDHomeRun as a window on the desktop.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom