Podcast: Arcam AV40 Review: Is Wireless the Future of Audio? + Movie & TV Show News & Reviews (10/02/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
This week we have a quick review of the Arcam AV40 AV Processor and PA720 Seven Channel Power Amp that Phil has been using for the past two months. Plus Ed tells us all about the Piega Premium Wireless 301 Active Speaker System and we discuss the subject of wireless speakers and if they are a solution for the future of audio and home cinema. Finally, Cas rounds up the latest movie and TV show news and reviews.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:30 - Welcome & catchups
00:16:08 - Competitions
00:23:36 - Is Wireless the Future of Audio?
00:42:50 - Arcam AV40 processor and PA720 amplifier review
00:49:20 - Lypertek SoundFree S20 Bluetooth earphone review
00:56:42 - Ed's album of the week
01:06:07 - Willy's Wonderland movie review
01:08:37 - The Little Things movie review
01:15:55 - RIP Christopher Plummer
01:19:30 - Movie news
01:23:30 - WandaVision update
01:32:44 - What have we been watching?
01:35:20 - Podcast competition
01:36:43 - Thanks and goodbyes

Presented by Phil Hinton with Cas Harlow, Ed Selley and Greg Hook

Subscription link: AVForums Podcast

Links to the audio versions will appear once the podcast has been live-streamed on Wednesday the 10th.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

Fasen

Another great podcast. :thumbsup:

Cas Harlow, savior of the world, great stuff
:D:D

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Guys as always; some great moments & enjoyed the "Wireless" conversation. Plus the Wifey chat going on in parralel (Missed the first 30 minutes last night, just caught up.)
Yeah, since being jobless for a Year been selling anything not bolted down via Ebay, & Discs, yep @Casimir Harlow , I feel your pain!

Doc

Agree with the illogical nature of what we currently describe as wireless..

I think the same about the ‘wireless charging’ we have for phones... we still have to physically place the phone on the ‘wireless’ pad/receptacle, which is plugged into a socket. So the only difference it offers is not having to push a cable connection into our phone. But it is still ‘tethered’ to a wire and socket, whilst charging.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Agree with the illogical nature of what we currently describe as wireless..

I think the same about the ‘wireless charging’ we have for phones... we still have to physically place the phone on the ‘wireless’ pad/receptacle, which is plugged into a socket. So the only difference it offers is not having to push a cable connection into our phone. But it is still ‘tethered’ to a wire and socket, whilst charging.
Agreed. This all still feels like an interim point. But the final solution is energy filling every point in a room. The waste, & the side effects I don't even want to imagine.
"Just because we CAN do a thing, does not mean we SHOULD do a thing"

MrMrH

The Wireless discussion was interesting. From my perspective as a heavy Sonos user I do appreciate the ease of just plugging in the power and it's away. That said I am fortunate to have plenty of power plugs scattered around the house. I do also appreciate that it's far from Hi-Res I am listening too, but as is the case with the 4K v Streaming argument I am a firm believer in "Convenience trumping Fidelity" in both regards.

Ed - I would love to hear more about your thoughts on Roon 1.8. I am considering upgrading mine but I hit a bug on the Mac where it caused the CPU to go nuts so I actually shut it down a couple of months ago and stopped my Tidal subscription. Just wondering if it would be worth giving it another try (re: quality of the upgrade wise, not the CPU problem which is another issue entirely).

I completely agree that week to week episodes are the good idea for WandaVision (and anything else) for keeping the show in the public consciousness.

fowl3r

Where's the review of the piega 301s?

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Where's the review of the piega 301s?
Patience, patience; this inclement weather has brought everything down to a crawl. I'm sure that Mr. Selley is at this very moment buffing the chrome & polishing the hubcaps in preparation for its delivery to this venerable website. :thumbsup:
(It will definitely be delivered faster that Phil's new car, that's for sure!):D

Deesnutz

Great pod as ever guys....my highlight of the week.

Cas - Spot on with your comments about 'The Little Things'......it felt very Seven-lite. The wife and i were positively disappointed by the final third. Echoe your sentiments about Denzel, he is one of the few actors i will watch anything of, as you know he will always elevate the material. (Yes even The Equalizer sequel!)

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Toon Army

Thanks gents and enjoyed the wireless discussion - look forward to the forthcoming hardware reviews.

Your house clearances of discs speaks for itself and why streaming is taking over. I will only buy the occasional UHD disc now when it's a good film with a quality soundtrack.

I do feel that wireless has a place but consumers need to understand the limitations of equipment. It is a simple case at times of convenience v quality. We have a pair of Sonos Ones in the kitchen feeding off Spotify and Tidal, so the later's CD streams can be played. A key issue I found was the quality of the wi-fi signal and they became faultless once I added a Mesh system in the house.

The biggest headache I had was wiring rear height speakers in the lounge. I was so successful in my wiring exploits ( ie hiding them under floorboards and behind some piping ) that SWMBO never noticed the speakers for over a month. Had there been a wireless option, then that would have been my preferred choice. I will also be adding a second sub to the set up soon and that will be a SVS using their Soundpath wireless adapter.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

pressure

Forgive me for putting you in the spot @Phil Hinton but do you think the AV40 at £4K is better than the NAD T758 at £2.5k?
Very much enjoyed the discussion both this week and last week in 2 channel in AV amps. I’ve been doing a lot of fiddling with my system recently to improve that. I found setting my genetics to large in the T758 worked the best To me.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Forgive me for putting you in the spot @Phil Hinton but do you think the AV40 at £4K is better than the NAD T758 at £2.5k?
Very much enjoyed the discussion both this week and last week in 2 channel in AV amps. I’ve been doing a lot of fiddling with my system recently to improve that. I found setting my genetics to large in the T758 worked the best To me.
I haven't reviewed the T 758, I covered the T 778. Better is also very subjective as they are two different products as one is an AVR and one an AV Processor which requires off-board amplification.
If I needed a one-box solution the NAD would be my choice as things stand and what I need in my system. If I wanted a processor and power amp, I would consider the AV40 and also the new Anthem processors which I have yet to receive for review, but the amplification would be required and that is probably the cost of the processor again for enough channels of decent quality.
So not an easy one to answer, but I hope that makes some sense.

Neond

Wireless will never really be a thing with AVR and separates.. it will be huge with (mainstreaming) top-end soundbars though with upfiring and sidefiring drivers and 2 rear-speakers with upfiring drivers and a wireless sub.. In this instances you actually save quite a bit of cable and hassle. In the all separates and AVR route you doesnt really cut down the cables very much.

It will of course continue to be big with multi-room audio+wifi speaker-boxes etc as well but thats almost a given and its main reason it was introduced really.

Last edited:

MrSmithers

Standard Member
Great podcast again chaps. Look forward to tomorrow...

Yep "wireless" touts a lot more than what you actually get with it, seeing as you still need to plug in a power cable! And you miss out on DSD.

It's funny I've actually just started buying films on disc again. You can actually get second hand blu rays on music magpie for £2! And then I can put them on my NAS and have the benefit of full fidelity. I find streaming is too milky visually and the soundtrack is usually only DD+ (even Atmos soundtracks).

I just feel they missed a trick on the 4K UHD pricing - it's too expensive for new releases. Really no need to duplicate with Blu Rays either. If they released at £15 it would hit a much sweeter spot...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom