Pod coffee machines - any good?

Goooner

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Our current coffee machine percolator, latte, espresso machine is on it's last legs, so have been thinking of getting a new one.

Never really used the frother thing or the espresso, so was just going to get a percolator on it's own, then the wife spotted the pod type machines.

Are they any good? Thinking from a quick and easy convenience perspective, when you don't want to make a whole pot full. She quite liked the idea of the option of different drinks like hot chocolate and stuff too.

I assume that the pod things are only compatible with specific machines, a bit like printer cartridges or are there cheap alternatives you can use?

Any recommendations for one, don't want to spend a fortune and preferably one with a variety of drinks available?

I got a Phillips Senseo cheap off EBay and I'm very pleased with it. You can get them for £29.99 in Comet at the moment . It uses coffee bags rather than pods which means you can use after market reusable holders and put your own coffee in. Makes a nice cup of tea with round tea bags too. I don't know how it compares with the other pod machines.

I have a dolce gusto and love mine. You can get the pods cheap via Amazon subscription or I've just changed to Costco.

I've tended to have issues after 18 months of each machine though & had to buy a new model. The latest is by far the best to date

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at those.

I have a Dolce Gusto as well - had it about 6 months now and love it :)
Not quite as good as some coffee shop coffees and I only have the Lattes but really do like it and so much easier and quicker than making instant.

I'd definitely recommend one but it's worth trying them first to see if you like the coffees :)

That's a good point. Especially if they're all machine unique.

How do you get to try them first though?

Anyone had any experience with Tassimo? The wife likes the "look" of that one, never mind whether it makes nice coffee, or that it's dearer than the others, it looks nice, typical woman :)

That's a good point. Especially if they're all machine unique.

How do you get to try them first though?

You probably have to find friends who might have one, or sometimes places like Debenhams have demonstrations (rarely though).
I chose Dolce Gusto because several people I work with have them and they like similar coffee to me and said they were great so I was happy to purchase without trying. Maybe not the best but good value for money and I do like the coffee it makes.

Ended up going for a Tassimo, mainly due to the range of drinks available, but also because it matched the microwave :)

Ended up getting the top of the range model, the T something 85, most places seemed to have the basic model, the 4013 for around £100, but John Lewis were doing the top one for the same, reduced from £140 or something.

Apart from the higher models having a Britta water filter in them, I've no idea what they do that the others don't.

Don't think it's going to be an everyday use thing, maybe just weekends, as the discs aren't exactly cheap.

Will report back when I've actually tried the coffee :)

Ok, had a go now :)

Had a caramel coffee thingy, comes in two parts, the espresso coffee bit which you do first, well I did that first, it doesn't actually tell you anywhere! Then put in a second disc for the frothy milk caramel bit.

It's not as noisy as our old percolator and it's very quick, so quick I was worried the coffee wouldn't be hot enough because the water was cold, straight from the tap when it went in.

Need have worried, it was piping hot and tasted delicious, just like something you'd get from Starbucks or somewhere.

Certainly the nicest homemade coffee I've had.

So I'd definitely recommend the Tassimo.

Now looking forward to trying some of the other flavours.

I've had a Tassimo for a few months now and use it twice a day. I have to limit myself to 2 drink a day though as I like the stuff it produces :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom