• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pocket cameras that record audio with stills?

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
My GF has started to do a bit of travelling for work, and needs a pocket camera that she can either add captions to the images on the fly, or better still record a very brief audio description as she takes the shots.

I have no idea who does these so any pointers would be appreciated.

Budget is low-ish but as her company are paying for it (big multi national) not dirt cheap, it needs to take half decent indoor shots, and the wider the better although 25mm starting length is fine.

cheers.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Perfect, thanks very much.
I did a lot of searching but must have used the wrong phrases as i didnt come up with anything helpful.

The Finepix cameras are great so im sure the IQ will be more than good enough, might even try and use it myself.

she is a project manager so just needs to keep records of how things are going in the buildings she visits.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Also found the olympus TG-820 does sound tags (only 4 seconds though) but is ruggedised/waterproof so may be of interest on building sites ? It also has a built in panorama which again may be useful for building interiors. Or for a bit more the TG-1 adds GPS plus an f2.0 lens that may be better for low lightand has a fisheye converter available which may be useful in small rooms (but costs !).

Review
Olympus Tough TG-820 Digital Camera Review
Olympus Tough TG-1 Digital Compact Camera Review

Manual p42
http://resources.olympus-europa.com/imaging//Manuals/SS2012/TG-820_620_MANUAL_EN.PDF
http://resources.olympus-europa.com/imaging//Manuals/SS2012/TG-1_MANUAL_EN.pdf

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much, again, for looking in to those.
I think she is going to go for the first one as it shoots raw and seems a pretty decent all rounder for the money.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Cool, no problem, gave me something to do in my lunch hour, happy to be of some help. :)

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
I've just noticed the F31FD has voice memo. Ive had one since it first came out lol. I've not used if for a few years but im going to dig that out tonight. I knew i had seen this feature somewhere lol.

I know its not the best camera for this sort of thing but it will do for now. So far she has been using my S95 or her BB, even her iPad2 so IQ isnt really at the top of her list.

Cheers again.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom