1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

poa-t10 simular to rotel 1070 please

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mick23, Dec 7, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    going to try denon poa-t10, to power fronts,the rotel 1070 is simular, but would these amps be considered roughly the same re power, specs etc, is there a pdf nmanual for denon ,can only find specs thank you

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    In my opinion, the Rotel is the better option. When I had my A10SE, I demoed the POA-T10 and found the A10SE to be distinctly better. Perhaps it was the very different power supply design used in the POA that did it. I have heard several Rotel power amps, and all of them are good. In fact, I think the 1075 5ch amp is better than the internal amps in the Denon A1SE.
    The NAD C270 is also a very good amp, more warm sounding than the 1070, but sounds like it has more grunt.

For Rotel go here

For Denon, albeit the US version of the POA-T10 go here

For NAD go here

Russell

3. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have just seen this thread, and have just been considering similar:

I am still on a learning curve, and having spend lots on a 32inch telly, I have Toshiba SD510E + Denon AVR-1602 as my AV source & processor/powerhouse. [acquired for prog scan output to new Telly

Am now actively considering what extra dosh to spend to improve musicality (the top end is a bit harsh):

a) whether to buy a dedicated CD player (having just cascaded a 1994 Yamaha CD to music duties in the dining/kitchen - together with Yamaha Receiver & Cassette - to enhance WAF for my upgrades in main living room)

b) whether to wait and buy better AV amp some time later - the 1602 was my 5.1 entry, and I wanted DPL 2.

c) whether to buy a Stereo amp as add on, through which to route the CD 'analogue' output from the Tosh SD510E

Am now keen to learn about route C.

So, my question:

What are the pricing/VFM options in adding a Stereo amp?

thx (meaning 'thanks', not whatever ...)

ditton

PS I currently have an optical TOSlink from SD510 to AV amp. Would money be better spent on

d) better interconnects?

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks russraff, thats quite interesting the poa-t10 i believe was made as an add on to power center rears of a10 and yet is not as good as a10 internal amps,i have option to try poat10 on approval with 3802, the rotels seem to be well regarded ,but a costlier option than poat10,thank you

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    “VFM options”? What does that mean?

If musicality is your main concern, I would get a Stereo integrated amp. Even very expensive AV amps aren’t as good as dedicated stereo amps. Something like a NAD C370 or Rotel 02 series depending on what you have to spend (though I haven’t heard the Rotel, they generally produce good kit). Adding a poweramp will certainly help, but you are still being sonically held back by the preamp part of your Denon.

I would think that the amp is slightly "out of step" with your DVD player. I think that the DVD player can improve alongside an amp upgrade to, say a Pioneer 2011 or Denon 3802 level amp. Therefore, until you buy better amplification, getting a dedicated CD player would not be a good option, as you wouldn’t hear the benefit.

Unless you are using very poor interconnects, an upgrade wouldn’t be a good investment, especially if you are talking about digital cables. I bought a Chord Company Codac cable for half price (they sell for £45, I think). I can’t honestly tell the difference between it and a £15 optical cable I bought 3 years ago.

Russell

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    mick23:

Sorry, I thought that you were going to use the amp with an A10SE!

If we are talking about the 3802, then certainly, the POA-T10 will offer improved sound quality.

Russell

7. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Russell,

VMF? - value for money

not PC on an AV forum perhaps :blush:

but thx for rest of reply.

We (WAF and all) 'blind' tested the Tosh SD220 against the 1994 Yamaha 670 and found no difference - so I was reckoning that the Tosh SD510 would be good for a while.

And I'm aware that the denon 1602 is very much an entry, hence my interest in the stereo amp route.

I was considering the Rotel A01 (same as the Rotel A02 but without a remote) at about UKP250. Then I stumbled across the Denon POA-T10. From what I understand you are saying about the the pre-amping though, that would not seem a good candidate as the 'musicality' upgrade. Could I not just bypass the Denon 1602 - or is that why I need an integrated stereo amp??

The NAD C320 special also seems to get reviews. But I would be happy to settle for an older discounted model if there is one on clearance, say.

On interconnects, I was thinking of the phono connect. The bog standard one seemed smoother than the optical (which I use for the 5.1 signal) but I wondered whether it was worth buying a better phono interconnect.

ditton

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    When using the POAT-10 it is normal to power the main stereo pair with this and assign the front channels in the AVC10 to the surround backs.

9. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    recieved poa-t10 last week and tried with 3802, for av and sterio,the only real differance was that the sound from center speaker seemed to be better in av,as for sterio the (direct mode) the 3802 internal amp sounded better than poa-t10, possible rotel 1070 would have been better but a dearer option,