po_man's viewing choice!

po_man

Well, here you go you lucky people, the one you've all been waiting for ... ;)

Picture 1) (see thumbnail at foot of page)
I'll start with my very first HD Ready LCD which was a Toshiba 32WLT58 and was purchased back in November '05 - just in time for the arrival of the Xbox 360. A lovely telly but suffered from a inherent fault which caused a horrible "crackling" sound when the volume was quite loud. - Anyway, finally managed to get Toshiba to admit to the fault and got a full refund on that one and decided to stick with Toshiba and opt for a larger screen ...

Picture 2)
Toshiba 37WLT66. Also added at this point were a pair of B&W LM1's but to be frank, the sound set-up was just completey wrong and completely lacked bass - so these soon left (you may have guessed by now that i'm a bit of a noob when it comes serious sound ;) ). Also, note the ancient, relic of a VCR in the bottom right-hand rack :eek: Shocking i know, but let's just say that it's there to just fill a hole until the PS3 arrives.

Picture 3)
My Sony STR-DB790 receiver and, now gone, DVP-NS955V DVD player. The receiver (at the time) was literally used as a rather expensive component switcher! To be perfectly honest, i'd had every intention of upgrading my sound system to a 5.1 but i think i'll be putting that idea on hold until i move into my new home - which will hopefully be this year. The better half just won't allow the 5.1 :(

Picture 4)
Where i sit ... nothing spectacular, but it's always nice to see the "other" side of the room :smashin:

Picture's 5/6/7)
Well, the latest addition(s) - a Sony KDL40V2500U. Managed to return the 37" Tosh due pixel drop out and decided to plump for the new Sony which excells in every area the Toshiba (very slightly) under-achieved. Also, note the addition of the Philips HTS-6510 2.1 home cinema. I would thoroughly recommend this unit to anyone with a modest sized lounge that doesn't feel the need for a full 5.1 set-up - also very girlfriend/wife/missus friendly! :)
Ok, it isn't true surround sound - i wasn't expecting it to be but it really is a cracking piece of kit. Perfect just to give a little extra atmosphere to movie nights! :)
Also note the addition of the 360 HD-DVD drive.

And that's it basically! All comment welcome, good or bad :smashin:

Attachments

John 1987

Great looking room, love the screen and the speakers. :thumbsup:

Mac User

Well done, nice setup :clap:

thfccambs

Banned
Very nice mate,even for a gooner.;)

Pioneer Dude

Novice Member
It's nice and simple, which works perfectly. :smashin:

C

Colsie007

Change the AMP as it sucks - I had one and recently upgraded to a 3200ES.

A whole new world mate !

spuddy01

Hey po_man very nice & tidy set up you have there,it fills that space nicely :D

po_man

Thanks for all the comments! :)

Very nice mate,even for a gooner.;)
... especially you hunts!! I know that was tough for you to say!! :smashin:

Change the AMP as it sucks - I had one and recently upgraded to a 3200ES.

A whole new world mate !
Yeah, once i actually look to get a dedicated 5.1 then a change will be the order of the day. As i say, it really is just being used as a component switcher for now so it's not really a problem - but cheers anyway! :thumbsup:

garylythgoe

Looks lovely mate, perfect under the stairs, very tidy!! :thumbsup:

My missus is looking at getting a 2.1 setup, do you rate that one then? Did you try any others? Also how much was it? :smashin:

Nice rack/stand too :clap:

po_man

Looks lovely mate, perfect under the stairs, very tidy!! :thumbsup:

My missus is looking at getting a 2.1 setup, do you rate that one then? Did you try any others? Also how much was it? :smashin:

Nice rack/stand too :clap:
Having the TV under the stairs just doesn't intrude on the room at all - it's an absolutely perfect fit for the av cabinet (a popular choice on AVF ;) ) If you're interested, the stand is called the Oppli and is from Ikea - only about £50 too!

Personally, i'm very pleased with the Philips HTS6510. It really does produce an excellent sound and has been very well reviewed in the magazines. I'm fully aware that it's not a "true" 5.1 sound but it does a mighty good job of trying! The picture quality via HDMI is also superb and very impressive. If i only had one criticism, it's that you can't adjust the bass settings - a bit more control over the sound wouldn't have gone amiss.
I think it retails in the region of £399 but i'm sure you could get it a lot cheaper online. I paid a bargain price of £225 off eBay a few months ago so i'm more than happy! ;)

Lovely setup mate, just wondering what your opinion on you 37wl66 apart from the fault were you happy with it?

po_man

Lovely setup mate, just wondering what your opinion on you 37wl66 apart from the fault were you happy with it?
Well, i've had two Toshiba's, a 32WLT58 and the 37WLT66 and both, picture quality wise were excellent. The model that you mention, 37WL66, i believe is exactly the same as the 37WLT66 which are identical apart from the colour and that mine had integrated Freeview.
As i say, as far as PQ was concerned, both were excellent and i would thoroughly recommend them. My particular 37WLT66 suffered from a dead pixel and frankly didn't bother me at all (you'd be lucky to get an LCD with no dead pixels) but the opportunity was there for me to get an upgrads - so i did!
Hope that helps :smashin:

Dann'sTheMan

Novice Member
Hi po_man,

Hope you're enjoying your 40V - it looks great in your set up. Loved the cabinet of treasures under the stairs - very tasteful! I loved owning my 40V - I don't know if the new 2500 is similar to set up to my old 2000, but if so, I highly recommend trying out Lyris's settings (shown in the screen shots here. It took my viewing experience from cool to WOW! :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

po_man

Hi po_man,

Hope you're enjoying your 40V - it looks great in your set up. Loved the cabinet of treasures under the stairs - very tasteful! I loved owning my 40V - I don't know if the new 2500 is similar to set up to my old 2000, but if so, I highly recommend trying out Lyris's settings (shown in the screen shots here. It took my viewing experience from cool to WOW! :)

Big smiles,

Andy.
Absolutely! Really pleased with the new telly, by all accounts not a lot different from the V2000. I really didn't think i could get a much better picture than my previous Tosh, but it really does perform!
Ideally, i really wanted the W2000 but in the end it was just outside my budget and the horror stores i'd heard were a little unsettling so instead, took a gamble with the new V2500 - very glad i did!

Also, agreed with the settings. Took some major tweeking but got there in the end! :smashin:

HandsomeBWonderful

Novice Member
Nice setup, very tasteful. I see you've the same couch as me, same colour too - it folds out as a double bed and has storage on the left doesn't it? I bet you wish the foam used in the seating was a big thicker... I know I do? :D

po_man

Nice setup, very tasteful. I see you've the same couch as me, same colour too - it folds out as a double bed and has storage on the left doesn't it? I bet you wish the foam used in the seating was a big thicker... I know I do? :D
Yup, that's the one matey! Its a great little sofa and very well made for what it does. It'll go in the spare room when we move home, hopefully towards the end of the year! :)

Thanks for linking to my review guys, but those aren't my recommended settings - everyone seems to think that but really it was just a random picture I took of the menu. I think what I used on my KDL-32V2000 was quite similar to those though.

po_man

A few new shots for you. Gone is the VCR (at last) and in comes the PS3

Xbox HD-DVD with a few PS3 games;

That's gorgeous. Wish my desk was so simple and clean (spot the game reference).

po_man

That's gorgeous. Wish my desk was so simple and clean (spot the game reference).
Cheers Lyris. Personally, i'm getting a little tired of the AV stand and fancy something different - it's just that it fits under the stairs perfectly!

BTW, nice review on the Joytech HDMI Switcher - sounds like great value :smashin:

Dankeech

Nice clean setup you have there!

Try a Partington Minim AV or perhaps a Bergen stand if you want to got the Piano black route to match up PS3 and TV etc.

Dan.:thumbsup:

po_man

Nice clean setup you have there!

Try a Partington Minim AV or perhaps a Bergen stand if you want to got the Piano black route to match up PS3 and TV etc.

Dan.:thumbsup:
Thanks mate, i took a peek at the Partington AV stands - very nice! Maybe when i move home. My current postioning of tv limits me somewhat.

Nice set up, loving the amp.

Also great pic of the "Dingles" getting beat by wolves:D

Really clean setup well done
Cheers for the comments! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett