PMP For SKY+ maybe Sky HD

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by tommyg_, Sep 2, 2007.

1. tommyg_

tommyg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    hi,

Can anyone give me some advice with regards to buying a PMP that I will use primarily for watching stuff i've recorded from sky+ i.e. revista de la liga..

Not worreid about having loads of space to have hours and hours of tv on it.. basically enough for my trip to work and back. Quality of the video is important though as near to dvd quality as possible..

I have sky+ and am looking at getting sky hd if that makes any difference (not sure what other outs are on back of sky hd except hdmi)

Thanks and kind regards,:smashin::lease:

2. RSK21

RSK21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Tommy,

Given that at present you can't "extract" recordings electronically from the HD of a sky+ box and copy them as a file to any PMP your best best is probably an Archos 04 or 05 series with the optional DVR station.

These allow you to record directly to their internal hard drive in real time in a modern day video version of "tape to tape" recording i.e. connect your Archos DVR station to the Sky box press record on the Archos and play on the Sky and off you go. I do the same as you are planning to do with my Archos by lining up a few progs off my Sky HD planner using the "Copy" function and then leaving them to record onto the Archos overnight. With the DVR station you can also programme this to record "off air" i.e. as the programme is being transmitted in the same way as your Sky+ box does. Of course it can only record one channel at a time as it has no tuner and takes the feed directly from the Sky box but you can use it to turn on the Sky+ box at a given time and switch to the correct channel for timed recordings.

Moving to Sky HD will make no difference as far as Archos recordings are concerned - the best quality video input on the DVR station is currently S-Video. It can output HD via component video but sadly cannot accept it at present. I currently have my Sky HD box connected via HDMI to my AV system and then also via S-Video to my Archos DVR station. Having the two connections running concurrently causes no problem.

Hope (some !) of this makes sense.

RSK

3. tommyg_

tommyg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks for that.

Do you know what size would be a good size? only want hour or twos worth of content?

Also cheap place to buy?

thanks

4. RSK21

RSK21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    How cheap is cheap ?

30Gb will probably be enough.

5. tommyg_

tommyg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    well the cheapest place to buy the models you mentioned.. ideally i dont want pay more than £200

6. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    RSK21,

Is it the 04 or the 05 you have?

I was thinking about getting the 605 Wifi myself (can be had for around £180 if you shop around t'internet) but I have read on the Archos forum people are struggling with recording from Sky on to it. :confused:

7. tommyg_

tommyg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I had a quick look last night and the 605 (4GB) version with SD slot is what i like the look of..

anyone got one yet or are they out 10/09?

8. RSK21

RSK21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    @ tommy

I'd steer clear of the 4Gb version mate as an hour or so of recorded TV at decent quality will be approx 1GB. The 30GB models are probably best for you as you'll be surprised at how much you want to use it once you have one. apparently there are all sorts of films and what have you available out there for download .......

The 604 can be found via Google for about £160

http://http://www.blokesstuff.com/Product.aspx?Product=Archos_604_30GB&ProductID=1461&gclid=CJyJ0dKBrI4CFQESEgod5hVjYg

and the 605 although it lists at £199 can be had for a shade under £190

http://www.blokesstuff.com/Product....oductID=2127&gclid=CMnSgYSCrI4CFQQdEgodejV_Yw

Personally I'd go with the 605 - better screen and has built in wi-fi.

@ Porker

I had a 604 now have a 704 wi-fi and will likely get a 605 or maybe a 705 in the near future.

RSK

9. kosovosteve

kosovosteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've just got myself the 605 30GB with DVR for £272 (Pixmania.com). It wasn't the cheapest but lots of retailers did not have the DVR in stock.

This is a little gem. I'm using mine to record childrens TV shows from my Sky HD box for my Little girl to watch on our flight to the US. The recordings come out really nice and look lovely on the high res screen.

This is the first PMP I have owned but I am very happy with it.

If you have any questions please ask.

Steve

10. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    You can get the 30Gb 605 for £166 and the DVR for about £50 at Lambda Tek. (There are a few places around this price, use Google products search. But I've used these guys before).

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase1.1&prodID=B83979

They expect stock next week.

The 4GB model is about £125. I'm considering that right as I think an SD card slot outweighs the extra hard disk space. (it's also a bit lighter if that bothers you. And both are lighter and thinner than the 80Gb/160Gb version).

I wonder if you can record to the SD card? 8Gb cards seem to be £30 to £40 now.

11. RSK21

RSK21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    @uczmeg

re SD card capability my 704 has USB host capability which I use to connect a USB SD card pen drive style reader to in order to download pics from my DSLR and which can then delete these from the card so I can start all over again with the camera.

I am not 100% sure that the 605 has this capability out of the box but certainly does if you add the travel adaptor (approx £30).

Just my 2p but I honestly believ that 4GB is not enough space on these machines and as yet I'm not clear as to whether or not they accept the SDHC 8gb cards.

12. tommyg_

tommyg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    kosovosteve - Are you recording at the highest resolution? Whats the rough gb to recording ratio.

If you can record TV to the SD card with the 4gb version I still might be swayed towards that model, as i have a few devices which I use SD cards for.

Also I have had a flash based ipod nano and a hdd base 3g ipod in the past and i have to say i havent had any problems with the flash memory whilst the hdd ipod would sometimes freeze/crash/reset..

This is the same reason im holding out on a new comp till ssd in laptops get bigger and chearper. (even though I will only use it for music, the net and football manager),

13. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Kosovosteve told me in another thead, and I think it is mentioned above, that at the highest settings 1 hour roughly equals 1Gb.

I can find no information on whether you can record to the SD card though, and no one has an SD card model yet. I will probably buy one next week, but the wife my insist I wait until my birthday (Sept 30th ) to play with it!

If you can at least copy to the SD card then you could always record on the unit and then copy to the card. But again, no info as to if this is only read only (but I doubt that).

Archos don't let you email support unless you register with a device serial number. Which is annoying!

14. kosovosteve

kosovosteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I am sure that when using the SD version of the 605 that all recordings will be straight to the card.

I don't own the SD version but would see no point in releasing it if you could not record to it. The record from TV function is what sets these models apart from other manufacturers.

I would think it might be worth investing in a few 16GB cards for this version as 1 Hour at the highest settings will eat up about 1GB.

The settings on the recording side are few. You can change the aspect ratio and the sample rate. I have mine set to 5:3 (other settings don't fill the screen or crop top/bottom) and have the sample rate set to max 2500.

These settings work well IMO and give a nice clean crisp picture on the screen.

Steve

15. kosovosteve

kosovosteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Quick piece of info regarding recorded media on the 605 using the DVR.

The 605 records all media in XVID format (.AVI) this was the cause of much frustration for me as I could not find anything but my archos that would play the files.

In the end I found an application called MPlayer (MAC) this worked perfectly on my Macbook. Not sure what application is needed for Windows but I'm sure there will be a few about.

16. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Xvid is basically an open source DivX format. On a PC you can just visit the Xvid or Divx site, install a codec and then almost all media player work fine.

Pretty much all downloadable TV off the internet comes in these formats.

17. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I have found some more inforamtion on the 4GB version.

It CANNOT record directly to the memory card. All recorded video is saved in the /Video folder and there is no setting to change this.

However you can copy stuff to and from the memory card.

A little bit annoying, but not a deal breaker for me....

18. tommyg_

tommyg_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    So you would just record your tv shows onto the internal memory then move it over to the memory stick through a drag and drop or a copy to memory card function..

agree.. annoying but definetly not a deal breaker..

19. kosovosteve

kosovosteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Where did you get this information. If you do not save to the card, where do you save to?

The Flash based 605 has no internal memory. The /video file you speak of is just a folder on the card in which recordings will be saved.

When you place your SD card into a reader on your PC it will have a /video, /music and /pictures folders on the card.

When you make recordings on the archos they are saved to /videos/recordings by default.

20. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
  21. kosovosteve

kosovosteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yes mate, MY BAD :suicide:

You are of course correct. I was under the impression that it came with a 4GB SD card and no internal memory.

Sorry for the duff info.

Still looks like a good little player though.:smashin:

22. kosovosteve

kosovosteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    If you do decide to purchase this player make sure that you check the screen carefully. Mine has just been sent back to archos with 4 stuck pixels.

Did not expect as many as 4 in the first 2 weeks!:thumbsdow

23. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    No problem!

The 605 range looks great in general, as you know.

The idea of a card reader really appeals, but so does a hard drive! It's a tricky choice....

24. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    That's not good! :(

But I guess there is a chance of it in all tech with a screen. Haven't heard it being particularly common in the 605 and I've been doing a lot of reading about them...

25. kosovosteve

kosovosteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Could barely notice three of them to be honest but one was stuck on bright white and it was dead centre of the screen,

Hope this was just a one off.:lease: