1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMP-100 vs AV400

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Hamie, Oct 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Hamie

Hamie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm trying to decide between buying an AV400 (probably the AV420 because of it's size) and the PMP-140/120...

The primary need is to store photos on from my digital camera (A Canon 300D). However I also want to be able to view movies & play music (Ripped from my CD's mainly) on it.

The primary OS I use is Linux, so I need to be able to talk to it from my laptop (Debian) and server (RH9/Gentoo). I really don't want to have to rely on Windoze of any flavour

I've found a few reviews on the AV400 and they are pretty much positive, except that some state it's a bit hard to rip & watch DVD's on it... And Linux is not supported in any way by Archos except by way of the AV400 being a usb-mass storage device.

The reviews for the PMP-140/120 seem to be pretty few & far between... On the whole i'd really like to get one of these... But without a CF slot I need to know that I can transfer photos from my camera to the PMP without any problems... Anyone know if that's possible using the USB host functionality of the PMP to copy photos from the 300D to the PMP-100's?

TIA

Hamish.

2. malcolm

malcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hamish, i'm currently in the same position as yourself. Wondering which way to go. Iriver or Archos??? I've found a few reviews on the Iriver which are mostly good. The USB OTG function is very interesting but i can't find a list of supported devices. It would be no use to me if my camera can't talk to it. I looked on the Iriver website for some info but it doesn't even list the product!

Please let me know if you make a decision.

3. malcolm

malcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i've now placed an order for the Archos. I should recieve it tomorrow! Many of the problems i read about seem to have been fixed in the numerous firmware updates since release. It seem to have good support so i'll give it a try. Will post my findings when i've had a good look at it.

4. malcolm

malcolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Now have the AV420 version. Much slimmer than the AV440 version which someone else has purchased at work.

So far its been great and i've not encountered any of the problems i've read about in other threads,.....bar one! I can't get the Yahoo tv listing to work. I get an error message stating that the file format is not recognised. This seems to be a fairly common problem. If anyone has any ideas please say!

So in short i can, get the machine to record TV from a schedule, play back mp3, download my from my digital camera on the go (my main reason for making the purchase). I can also view Xvid and DivX movies and clips.

There are always going to be limitations with the new media gadgets. For example i'd like to be able to browse my photos whilst listening to music, but you can't!

For those interested, i would say go for it once you have done your research, i haven't found a single limitation which i hadn't read about prior to making my decision. Also many of the reviews which list issues with the machine were running older firmware versions. Check the website for the list of fixed issues, its fairly long.

If you think you'll have a more money to spend on your gadgets after x-mas (very unlikey!!) Wait for the AV500, which looks amazing! Although i imagine it will cost alot more than the 400 series. Google should chuck some good articles with specs etc if you are interested.

Thats all. Cheers.